Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Bob Marley Music School

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='538582' date='Mar 2 2008, 11:16 AM
thank you,mr.phill

from luke
No problem Master Luke
Old 03-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

was released as a single following the death of Haile Selassie whom Rastafarians believe was the third incarnation of their God, pronounced Jah. The song was written as a message to the world that Haile Selassie had not died as detractors of the Rastafarian religion claimed. When the song was released, Selassie was assumed dead but his body would not be recovered until the early 1990s. Rastafarians believed there was no body since Selassie was immortal. Marley was prescient in response to the news that no body had not been found saying, "Yuh cyant kill God".
In the song, Marley directly confronts those who doubt Rastafarianism because of the apparent death of Selassie.
The song is now included on the album Rastaman Vibration as a bonus track, but was not on the original 1976 vinyl album. The song also appears on the 2001 box set Songs of Freedom and the 2005 retrospective compilation album Gold.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Contributors

Bob Marley Music School-cb_3b.jpg
Bob Marley's mother dead at 81

Posted on Wed, Apr. 09, 2008
BY MICHAEL HAMERSLY
mhamersly@MiamiHerald.com

Cedella Marley Booker, mother of late reggae icon Bob Marley, died Tuesday night at her South Florida home after a long illness. She was 81.

Booker was surrounded by loved ones inside her South Miami-Dade home and was ''very happy and very peaceful,'' said daughter-in-law Sharien Booker. ``Her vision was always to bring people together. She was a very loving person, and we know she's happy.''

Booker's grandson, Ky-Mani Marley, an accomplished musician himself, told The Miami Herald she had always been a ``caring and supporting person in my life. She was always there to help me -- even when I didn't ask for help, she knew I needed help. She had that instinct to know when things were wrong and had the courage to fix it.''

Marley said the family was fortunate to be by Booker's side.

''We all live very close by, really just blocks away, so we were all in the vicinity,'' he said.

And though Booker had been struggling recently with heart problems, her death still came as somewhat of a shock, her grandson said.

''We knew she was sick, and she'd keep fighting and pulling through,'' he said. ``So it was expected, but unexpected. It's a great loss.''

Several prominent Jamaican leaders were moved to comment on Booker's legacy.

''Mrs. Booker was the matriarch of a movement so powerful that the mystical qualities of the Marley musical legacy remain strong and potent,'' said Jamaican Information Minister Olivia Grange.

''She was a star in her own right,'' Jamaican Prime Minister Bruce Golding said in a statement. ``Her life was one of hardship, struggle and eventual fulfillment, and through it all, she exuded hope, strength and confidence.''

Born in Jamaica in 1926, Booker was 18 when she married Norval Marley, a 50-year-old British quartermaster. After he died in 1955, she married Edward Booker, moved to Delaware, then relocated to Miami, where she lived for the past 20 years.

Booker was best-known for her famous son, but she was also an author and musician. Her two books about Bob Marley -- 1997's Bob Marley: An Intimate Portrait by His Mother and Bob Marley, My Son in 2003 -- offered glimpses into his personal life, shedding light on his relationships with his wife Rita and bandmates Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer.

Bob Marley died in Miami from a brain tumor in 1981.

Booker released two albums, Awake Zion in 1991, and in the following year a collection of Caribbean folk songs for children called Smilin' Island of Song.

She also frequently performed with Bob Marley's sons Ky-Mani, Ziggy, Stephen, Damian and Julian. Although she didn't perform at the family's annual Caribbean Fest concert in Miami in early March, Ky-Mani Marley said she was still performing as recently as ''about a year ago'' in Jamaica.

Booker is survived by two children, Claudette Livingston and Richard Booker, and 52 grandchildren.

Services will be held between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. Monday at the Range Funeral Home, 3384 Grand Ave., Coconut Grove.

God's speed Mrs Booker, I know your son Bob and Jah, Will Be Waiting There.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

RIP
Old 04-10-2008, 06:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Sad day ! What a prolific family , she must have been a great person, Thanks Phill !
Old 06-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='506948' date='Dec 14 2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks Phill! Did you do the Redemption Song yet ? too lazy to go back
, the last track on 1980's Uprising album, is one of Bob's best known songs and the number of artists that have covered it is legion. Stevie Wonder, Lauryn Hill, Rihanna, Alicia Keys, Arrested Development, U2, Johnny Cash, Pearl Jam & Sting just to name a few. The song is done in a classic solo acoustic guitar style, that forces the listener to concentrate on the powerful lyrics. The memorable, "Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" is a paraphrase of a speech given by Marcus Garvey Bob Marley Music School-marcusgarvey1920.gif in Nova Scotia in 1937.
("We are going to emancipate ourselves from mental slavery because whilst others might free the body, none but ourselves can free the mind. Mind is your only ruler, sovereign. The man who is not able to develop and use his mind is bound to be the slave of the other man who uses his mind, because man is related to man under all circumstances for good or ill".)

While I love the version I included above,
one holds particular significance for me because it was the last song of his final concert, at Pittsburgh's Stanley Theater (now called the Benedum Center) September 23rd 1980. In 2004, Rolling Stone placed the song at #66 among The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

Phill
Old 06-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: stock non-sport alpine white '04 530i

i love bob marley, his views on peace and love are whats keeping me from cutting off and flipping off that guy who cut me off, and that probably kept me out of alot of tickets and problems, and he always being played in my car

edit- who has been lucky enough to see him in person?
Old 06-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Members

Bob Marley and the Wailer BMW

Jam on brother.......
Old 06-25-2008, 05:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dimsum' post='609543' date='Jun 25 2008, 02:41 AM
Bob Marley and the Wailer BMW
Yeh, he liked that too.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by i<3e60' post='608809' date='Jun 24 2008, 01:12 AM
i love bob marley, his views on peace and love are whats keeping me from cutting off and flipping off that guy who cut me off, and that probably kept me out of alot of tickets and problems, and he always being played in my car

edit- who has been lucky enough to see him in person?
Man, I'm kind of an old fart whose never heard of Bob Marley (until I joined the E60 Forum). But after surfing through this thread I might be able to live longer if I could find some of his stuff.

What might be recomended for some one who like the blues, Waylon Jennings, TajMahal, Clapton and John Hammond?

Quick Reply: Bob Marley Music School