Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

BMW out of Formula 1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW pulling out of F1 racing

International media have been summoned to a press conference at the German marque's Munich headquarters at 10am.

http://www.inthenews.co.uk/sports/sport/ge...036;1314864.htm

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77398

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news...729083333.shtml

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/07/29/bmw-...ement-expected/
Old 07-29-2009, 01:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

figured this warrants a whole new thread, huh?
Old 07-29-2009, 01:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Finally. They just can't afford to spend seeing BMW sales has dropped. Can't remember where I read it but their car sales have taken a huge hit for 2008. Being a small car company, can they really afford to be in F1 with nothing to show?

When they had one of the best engines about, they could not capitalise on it. Always close but not good enough. They won't be lost in the paddock. Its better they are not in it unless they can win races and challenge the top 3. They have no idea what it takes to win. Just look at their drivers? In F1, one can't just put 99%.

Car racing helps sell cars. What racing is BMW currently doing well in. F1? DTM? WTCC? LeMans? The only race I notice they tend to win all the time is the mini one make series.

Bye bye BMW in F1. You won't be missed... not by me at least.

cheers

ps: This is why I wanted these teams to break away from FIA and start their own. They could have rewritten the rules so that the teams don't waste unnecessary money, get all the TV rights money, and race with fair rules. They went with communist rule of Bernie and Max, now live with.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='957804' date='Jul 29 2009, 05:18 AM
ps: This is why I wanted these teams to break away from FIA and start their own. They could have rewritten the rules so that the teams don't waste unnecessary money, get all the TV rights money, and race with fair rules. They went with communist rule of Bernie and Max, now live with.
this^ I cannot disagree with
Old 07-29-2009, 01:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='957804' date='Jul 29 2009, 12:18 PM
Finally. They just can't afford to spend seeing BMW sales has dropped. Can't remember where I read it but their car sales have taken a huge hit for 2008. Being a small car company, can they really afford to be in F1 with nothing to show?

When they had one of the best engines about, they could not capitalise on it. Always close but not good enough. They won't be lost in the paddock. Its better they are not in it unless they can win races and challenge the top 3. They have no idea what it takes to win. Just look at their drivers? In F1, one can't just put 99%.

Car racing helps sell cars. What racing is BMW currently doing well in. F1? DTM? WTCC? LeMans? The only race I notice they tend to win all the time is the mini one make series.

Bye bye BMW in F1. You won't be missed... not by me at least.

cheers

Exactly my thoughts.

Well i guess it's time to change my avatar...
Old 07-29-2009, 01:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='957808' date='Jul 29 2009, 05:22 AM
Exactly my thoughts.

Keep it - it will be a classic soon and you'll sell it on eBay for mad $$$
Old 07-29-2009, 01:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='957815' date='Jul 29 2009, 12:41 PM
Keep it - it will be a classic soon and you'll sell it on eBay for mad $$$
Old 07-29-2009, 02:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='957808' date='Jul 29 2009, 10:22 AM
Exactly my thoughts.

No don't. Its a nice one. Actually so I am not misunderstood, I would have liked BMW to remain in F1 but not when they languish so low in the order. I rather they save that money and put it into a series where they can concentrate on a long term future to win it... like the old days.

BMW are not losers but with F1 and their constant rule manipulation by FIA, its always a sport thats running away.. ie hard to have any long term goals. This is not how any sport should be run. Its hard on all the teams and the ones with a bottomless pit of cash can do well.

I wish BMW well in their future motorsport participation. I am sure there is a series out there that if given the right resources and commitment, they can be at the top once again. In the meantime, I am glad they are leaving F1 because I rather not see the company go bust with this recession and be bought over by some bland, boring, run of the mill large car company. If that happened, then we are all the losers.

Right now, BMW still has the claim to the Ultimate Driving Machine.

cheers

ps: So keep your avatar. its a reminder of what a small independant car company nearly came close to achieving. Think back 2007
Old 07-29-2009, 02:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='957820' date='Jul 29 2009, 06:11 AM
...BMW are not losers but with F1 and their constant rule manipulation by FIA, its always a sport thats running away.. ie hard to have any long term goals. This is not how any sport should be run. Its hard on all the teams and the ones with a bottomless pit of cash can do well...
I agree with there - they should not regulate racing so much - manufacturers have to be allowed to innovate as much as possible. That's what racing is for.

Still, with all the back and forth action in the FIA this year, I'd not be surprised if they stay after all...
Old 07-29-2009, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='957800' date='Jul 29 2009, 05:03 AM
figured this warrants a whole new thread, huh?
I'd say so...

Here's BMW's official release:

BMW to Exit Formula One at End of 2009 Season.

Munich. The BMW Group will not continue its Formula One campaign after the end of the 2009 season. Resources freed up as a result are to be dedicated to the development of new drive technologies and projects in the field of sustainability. BMW will continue to be actively involved in other motor sports series. The landmark decision to restructure BMW Motorsport?s activities was made at the Board of Management?s meeting yesterday.

?Of course, this was a difficult decision for us. But it?s a resolute step in view of our company's strategic realignment," explained Dr. Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG. ?Premium will increasingly be defined in terms of sustainability and environmental compatibility. This is an area in which we want to remain in the lead. In line with our Strategy Number ONE, we are continually reviewing all projects and initiatives to check them for future viability and sustainability. Our Formula One campaign is thus less a key promoter for us. Mario Theissen has been in charge of our motor sports program since 1999. We have scored a large number of successes in this period, including some in Formula One racing. I would like to express my sincere gratitude to Mario Theissen and his team for this,? said, Reithofer.

Dr. Klaus Draeger, the member of the Board of Management responsible for development, said: ?It only took us three years to establish ourselves as a top team with the BMW Sauber F1 Team. Unfortunately, we were unable to meet expectations in the current season. Nevertheless, our ten years of Formula One experience have had a major impact on our development engineers. We have racing to thank for numerous technological innovations as well as the competitive spirit that drives us to develop mass-produced cars.? Possible redundancies in Munich and Hinwil cannot be quantified at present. Says Draeger: ?Since we only made this decision yesterday, we cannot provide any more precise information. We will develop and assess various scenarios and do our best to find a solution for the employees in Hinwil and the staff members involved in the Formula One project in Munich. We are aware of the responsibility we shoulder and will inform the staff as soon as we can make a clear statement."

Says BMW Motorsport director Dr. Mario Theissen: ?Of course, we, the employees in Hinwil and Munich, would all have liked to continue this ambitious campaign and show that this season was just a hiccup following three successful years. But I can understand why this decision was made from a corporate perspective. We will now focus sharply on the remaining races and demonstrate our fighting spirit and put in a good result as we bid farewell to Formula One racing.?

BMW will continue its programs in a number of motor sports series: BMW will appear on the starting grid in the touring car series and young driver promotion program in Formula BMW. This will be supplemented by BMW?s participation in ALMS, the American Le Mans Series, endurance races and close-to-production customer sports. Furthermore, BMW Motorrad Motorsport will continue its campaigns, with the super bike world championship leading the way.
BMW looks back on a long track record of success in the field of motor sports:
BMW achieved eight Formula One victories from 1982 to 1985 with Brabham. In 1983, BMW won the driver?s championship with Nelson Piquet (Brabham BMW). The last win with the legendary turbo engine followed with Benetton in 1986. Ten victories were scored during the partnership with Williams (2000-2005). BMW had a total of 19 grand prix wins and 33 pole positions before the BMW Sauber F1 Team era.

In its debut season in 2006, the newly established BMW Sauber F1 Team wound up fifth in the constructor?s championship. In 2007, the German-Swiss team came in second after McLaren-Mercedes? exclusion from the points standings. The 2008 season saw the team in the hunt for the world championship until the end of the season, winding up third. Polish-born Robert Kubica achieved the first and hitherto only GP victory in Canada on June 8, 2008. So far, the BMW Sauber F1 Team has taken one pole position (Kubica in Bahrain in 2008) and 16 podium finishes. The BMW Sauber F1 Team occupies the eighth spot in the manufacturer?s standings in the season presently underway.

Quick Reply: BMW out of Formula 1?