Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

BMW 2002

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate my 535 and dont want to drive it anymore. Id rather let it sit and i'll just make the lease payments. It really is the worst car I have ever owned.

I really want a 2002, something to just enjoy, with no bells and whistles. i want to buy like a sub $1500 that needs some work.

Does anyone know much about them? are there models that are better then others?

I know this goes in the "other BMWs" forum, but nobody ever checks that. it's almost as bad as the lounge!
Old 08-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by craigm1841
I hate my 535 and dont want to drive it anymore. Id rather let it sit and i'll just make the lease payments. It really is the worst car I have ever owned.

I really want a 2002, something to just enjoy, with no bells and whistles. i want to buy like a sub $1500 that needs some work.

Does anyone know much about them? are there models that are better then others?

I know this goes in the "other BMWs" forum, but nobody ever checks that. it's almost as bad as the lounge!
Old 08-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I love those cars too, simple, great handling, and reliable. I think they had a Tii model that was pretty bad ass
Unfortunately, for $1500 or less you probably won;t get a running car, they have a huge cult following (kind of like the original Mini Cooper) and they sell well beyond that price range in good condition.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca
I love those cars too, simple, great handling, and reliable. I think they had a Tii model that was pretty bad ass
Unfortunately, for $1500 or less you probably won;t get a running car, they have a huge cult following (kind of like the original Mini Cooper) and they sell well beyond that price range in good condition.
i just started looking. I can get a running driving car that needs some work for under 1,000 if I am in the right place/right time. They do seem to have a cult following, and the tii appears to be the car to have. looks like the odler ones with round tail lights are also more desirable. A decent tii looks like it can cost from $5,000-$15,000

Okay... Under $2,000, want to find something that runs decent but needs paint and an interior. tii would be nice, but a ti seems to be the step down and fuel injected, more in my price range.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

i just started looking. I can get a running driving car that needs some work for under 1,000 if I am in the right place/right time. They do seem to have a cult following, and the tii appears to be the car to have. looks like the odler ones with round tail lights are also more desirable. A decent tii looks like it can cost from $5,000-$15,000

Okay... Under $2,000, want to find something that runs decent but needs paint and an interior. tii would be nice, but a ti seems to be the step down and fuel injected, more in my price range.

Yeah, that is what the "i" means - injected (like fuel injected) lol. Yeah, finding one for under $2k in decent shape is going to be tough, but good luck.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Do you hate the 535i or the dealership you go to to get it fixed every other week? Lmao

Do it! That 2002 would be tight
Old 08-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Krozi
Do you hate the 535i or the dealership you go to to get it fixed every other week? Lmao

Do it! That 2002 would be tight
No, the car. without a doubt. I am driving it around with the dashboard reading "Steering and Suspension Malfunction" with an image of a car tipping over on my iDrive and a message reading "Please Stop Car Slowly". I am tired of bringing it to the dealer- so I will just drive it until it blows up or I die in it- regardless of what the idrive says

I am tired of the nonsense. Right now my telescoping steering wheel doesnt work when it is hot out, my key fob works once in a while, and my iPod adapter doesnt work half of the time. I have now run the wire out of my glove box and sit my ipod in the sunglass holder on the center console so I can easily disconnect and reconnect while I am at a red light (which allows me to shut off and restart the car too, part of the process). This is on top of the car making rattling noises. Last time the car was in the shop it wasn't the fuel pump amazingly- a vaccuum line came off the turbo.

At this point i dont even want to drive it anymore, it isnt even pleasurable. I spend half the time wondering if I am going to make it to point B.

All of that said, my replacement for the 535 WILL NOT be a BMW. the 2002 is more of a fun vintage ride. I wouldnt mind a vintage 911, but those are expensive!
Old 08-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Senior Members

No, the car. without a doubt. I am driving it around with the dashboard reading "Steering and Suspension Malfunction" with an image of a car tipping over on my iDrive and a message reading "Please Stop Car Slowly". I am tired of bringing it to the dealer- so I will just drive it until it blows up or I die in it- regardless of what the idrive says

I am tired of the nonsense. Right now my telescoping steering wheel doesnt work when it is hot out, my key fob works once in a while, and my iPod adapter doesnt work half of the time. I have now run the wire out of my glove box and sit my ipod in the sunglass holder on the center console so I can easily disconnect and reconnect while I am at a red light (which allows me to shut off and restart the car too, part of the process). This is on top of the car making rattling noises. Last time the car was in the shop it wasn't the fuel pump amazingly- a vaccuum line came off the turbo.

At this point i dont even want to drive it anymore, it isnt even pleasurable. I spend half the time wondering if I am going to make it to point B.

All of that said, my replacement for the 535 WILL NOT be a BMW. the 2002 is more of a fun vintage ride. I wouldnt mind a vintage 911, but those are expensive!
Ouch, sucks to hear of all those issues. Do you own the 535 or lease it? At least the 530 is a TAD more reliable.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Damn...... I've never seen a car with THAT many issues....a true lemon...
Old 08-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NYC530XI
Ouch, sucks to hear of all those issues. Do you own the 535 or lease it? At least the 530 is a TAD more reliable.
It is a lease. I got it from this guy:

you can bet that I WILL NOT be leaving the dealership with a new BMW in December 2011. I can only pray the car blows up or gets stolen between now and then so I can go get a Merc, or an Audi, or an Infiniti, or a Lexus, or Porsche, or a kia for f*cks sake. I'd take my 10 year old used maxima back in a heartbeat- and that is NOT an exaggeration.

Quick Reply: BMW 2002