Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!
View Poll Results: What pill did you take?
Red Pill, I'm all for HD-DVD
15.00%
Blue Pill, Blu-Ray for me!
52.50%
DVD, I'm still living in the 90's.
27.50%
VHS, I'm still living in the 80's.
2.50%
I'm still waiting for D-VHS movies.
2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Blue or Red Pill

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll put some links up tomorrow, sorry I didn't list any.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Lancaster' post='493771' date='Nov 14 2007, 03:01 AM
I have been caught by Sony with Betamax and their stoopid Memory Sticks. I am never going to give them any encouragement in pushing their own standards again.
I have spent too much money on Sony equipment believing the quality hype but I have now learned that it is just that - hype.

They have been the most aggressive in pushing DRM (digital rights management), presumably because they are also one of the biggest music publishers. I spent a lot of money on a Sony surround sound system only to find it was region fixed, rendering half of my legitamitely purchased DVDs useless on that player. In the end I had to pay to chip the stupid thing, which on reflection, is no better quality than other cheaper units (probably made in the same factory), which just needed a few key presses from the remote control to unlock.

So Sony can stick their Blu-ray where the sun don't shine for me.
I got with you.
Last thing I got from sont was the DC T50 and that was so Sh*t I sold it a week time.
will never buy Sony again, they are going down
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
Hill with most of there products.
They just shut down the image staytion.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='493996' date='Nov 13 2007, 09:28 PM
will never buy Sony again, they are going down
Sony's not going down Pingy. As much as you may hate them, they're not going anywhere.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='494004' date='Nov 14 2007, 10:39 AM
Sony's not going down Pingy. As much as you may hate them, they're not going anywhere.
what I mean is most of there item are going down hill, the only good think about there item is there design thats it. QC is bad and most is made in China which will brake down within 2 years time, unlike 5 years ago were itis made in Japan and 4 out of 5 item in my house was a Sony then but now now way.
But there is 1 thing good right now is there LCD TV
Old 11-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='493834' date='Nov 13 2007, 04:20 PM
Remember those giant Laser Discs back in the early 90's? Everyone thought that was going to be the next big thing in high quality video. LOL! Those discs were like records.
I still have my Pioneer top-loading laser disc player up in my attic with a bunch of movie discs (two-sided, I might add.)

They really were great back in those days -- not only for the picture but also the sound. They even came out before CD audio discs so the sound was far superior to any tape medium.

(BTW, I also have my Beta player in the attic too. Clearly the better format as far as quality goes -- too bad they didn't win the battle on the consumer front -- they only won it on the commercial/broadcast front...)
Old 11-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='494012' date='Nov 13 2007, 10:03 PM
I still have my Pioneer top-loading laser disc player up in my attic with a bunch of movie discs (two-sided, I might add.)

They really were great back in those days -- not only for the picture but also the sound. They even came out before CD audio discs so the sound was far superior to any tape medium.

(BTW, I also have my Beta player in the attic too. Clearly the better format as far as quality goes -- too bad they didn't win the battle on the consumer front -- they only won it on the commercial/broadcast front...)
Someone is giving us a hint of how old they are... Wait, do you still your old 8 track player in your attic too?
Old 11-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='494033' date='Nov 14 2007, 12:08 PM
Someone is giving us a hint of how old they are... Wait, do you still your old 8 track player in your attic too?
lol I have the LD and the Bata too both still working
Old 11-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='494033' date='Nov 13 2007, 11:08 PM
No 8-track players in the attic but at one point in my childhood, I installed an under-dash 8-track unit in my mom's car! Even worse, I used to record my own 8-track tapes!

To this day, when I listen to certain old songs, I can still hear the "click-click" in my mind at the precise point of the song where my old, homemade 8-track tapes would change tracks...
Old 11-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lancaster' post='493771' date='Nov 13 2007, 11:01 AM
I have been caught by Sony with Betamax and their stoopid Memory Sticks. I am never going to give them any encouragement in pushing their own standards again.
I have spent too much money on Sony equipment believing the quality hype but I have now learned that it is just that - hype.

They have been the most aggressive in pushing DRM (digital rights management), presumably because they are also one of the biggest music publishers. I spent a lot of money on a Sony surround sound system only to find it was region fixed, rendering half of my legitamitely purchased DVDs useless on that player. In the end I had to pay to chip the stupid thing, which on reflection, is no better quality than other cheaper units (probably made in the same factory), which just needed a few key presses from the remote control to unlock.

So Sony can stick their Blu-ray where the sun don't shine for me.
Sony failed miserably in Betamax vs VHS war because they did not license anyone on the technology, and player was too expensive. Same hold true for those minidisc in US, etc. They have learned the lesson, and they license out the Blu-ray technology to everyone. As more mfr produce Blu-ray player, price drops down. People can afford hardware easily. Comes to the disk itself, Sony needs to campaign harder to convince film studios support Blu-ray instead of HD-DVD. This is the last battle that Sony has to fight.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by my530i' post='494119' date='Nov 13 2007, 11:35 PM
Sony failed miserably in Betamax vs VHS war because they did not license anyone on the technology, and player was too expensive. Same hold true for those minidisc in US, etc. They have learned the lesson, and they license out the Blu-ray technology to everyone. As more mfr produce Blu-ray player, price drops down. People can afford hardware easily. Comes to the disk itself, Sony needs to campaign harder to convince film studios support Blu-ray instead of HD-DVD. This is the last battle that Sony has to fight.
Blu Ray isn't Sony's to license. The members of the Blu Ray consortium are Apple, Dell, Hitachi, HP, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, TDK and Thomson who all share in the IP. The only two majors who don't support Blu Ray are Dreamworks and Paramount. Both were reportedly paid by the HD-DVD consortium to only support their format, something BluRay has never needed to do

Quick Reply: Blue or Red Pill