Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Beware the birds.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 09:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

So....I'm driving home yesterday after work and pull up to a stop sign. I look up and notice a large blackbird/crow flying ahead of me, and it lands on a roof top. I notice before the bird lands that it has what looks like a large walnut or other nut/hard fruit in it's talons. As I turn back to look at the road and continue on through the intersection I hear this very loud THUD on the roof!! Then, I saw the walnut bounce off my hood....I knew immediately that the damn bird dropped the nut in an attempt to break it on the road....but timed it just right to hit, and dent my roof. I always thought my first dent would be from an inconsiderate person in a parking lot......not some freakin' bird!! I'm hoping the dent can be popped back out...no paint damage, and the dent is small..more like a dimple......but man.....that bird pissed me off!
Old 08-24-2005, 09:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Sounds like you need the gun rack option!
Old 08-25-2005, 03:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Very clever bird! Sorry to hear about your roof.

Watch out for eagles carring coconuts - They make big dents
Old 08-25-2005, 04:01 AM
SDS
Members

My Ride: 2006 530 xi, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Leather,poplar grain wood trimi, prem. pkg., prem. sound pkg., cold weather pkg., steptronic auto. trans., front comfort seats, split folding rear seats w/ski bag,rear heated seating, power rear sunshade and manual rear side window shades, park distance control, BMW on-board navigation system and satellite radio.

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' date='Aug 25 2005, 01:10 AM
So....I'm driving home yesterday after work and pull up to a stop sign.? I look up and notice a large blackbird/crow flying ahead of me, and it lands on a roof top.? I notice before the bird lands that it has what looks like a large walnut or other nut/hard fruit in it's talons.? As I turn back to look at the road and continue on through the intersection I hear this very loud THUD on the roof!!? Then, I saw the walnut bounce off my hood....I knew immediately that the damn bird dropped the nut in an attempt to break it on the road....but timed it just right to hit, and dent my roof.? I always thought my first dent would be from an inconsiderate person in a parking lot......not some freakin' bird!!? I'm hoping the dent can be popped back out...no paint damage, and the dent is small..more like a dimple......but man.....that bird pissed me off!
[snapback]163106[/snapback]
I have a small ding, or dimple on the roof of my 2006 530xi. I noticed it about three weeks after taking delivery, actually a friend of mine noticed it. The car has been kept in the garage and I cannot imagine that it happened while I had the car. I figured I must not have noticed it while taking delivery. The dealer had its dent and ding guy that goes to the dealership once a week take a look at it and I was told that because of the curtain airbags and the tracks for the sunroof it was impossible for him to fix it. I'd love to know what you find out when you get it looked at, okay?
Old 08-25-2005, 09:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by SDS' date='Aug 25 2005, 06:01 AM
[quote name='kmslo530i' date='Aug 25 2005, 01:10 AM']So....I'm driving home yesterday after work and pull up to a stop sign.? I look up and notice a large blackbird/crow flying ahead of me, and it lands on a roof top.? I notice before the bird lands that it has what looks like a large walnut or other nut/hard fruit in it's talons.? As I turn back to look at the road and continue on through the intersection I hear this very loud THUD on the roof!!? Then, I saw the walnut bounce off my hood....I knew immediately that the damn bird dropped the nut in an attempt to break it on the road....but timed it just right to hit, and dent my roof.? I always thought my first dent would be from an inconsiderate person in a parking lot......not some freakin' bird!!? I'm hoping the dent can be popped back out...no paint damage, and the dent is small..more like a dimple......but man.....that bird pissed me off!
[snapback]163106[/snapback]
I have a small ding, or dimple on the roof of my 2006 530xi. I noticed it about three weeks after taking delivery, actually a friend of mine noticed it. The car has been kept in the garage and I cannot imagine that it happened while I had the car. I figured I must not have noticed it while taking delivery. The dealer had its dent and ding guy that goes to the dealership once a week take a look at it and I was told that because of the curtain airbags and the tracks for the sunroof it was impossible for him to fix it. I'd love to know what you find out when you get it looked at, okay?

[snapback]163143[/snapback]
[/quote]

Check with one of the independent ding repair shops. What the dealer says makes sense if they think they have to get behind/under the ding to pop it out. An independent may be able to use another technique to get it out or at least they might be cheaper for a fill and paint repair. I got a quote of over $3500 from my dealer for some minor work that I had an independent do for just $650 and it looks fine. The paint matches and I cannot tell any work was done, even looking closely.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:41 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love birds! It's delicious.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:45 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525iA Build 2004/08. "Safirschwartz Metallic". Navi Pro, Adaptive Headlights, Bi-Xenon, Panorama Sunroof etc... CIP 18.00.01 (No noticed bug)

Well, I had this damn cat sleeping on my hood (guess if I had to take the car for polishing...). Well - cats eat birds. Dogs eat... Have to get a big dog (Rotweiler or so)
Old 08-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Senior Members

Birds and peolpe are the same, they just don't care about you and your car. Sorry to hear about the mishap but its kinda funny they way you wrote that story.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Aug 25 2005, 07:27 AM
[snapback]163108[/snapback]
My thoughts exactly!

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Aug 25 2005, 01:21 PM
Watch out for eagles carring coconuts - They make big dents
[snapback]163139[/snapback]

Originally Posted by my530i' date='Aug 25 2005, 07:41 PM
I love birds! It's delicious.
[snapback]163240[/snapback]
Old 08-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Aug 24 2005, 07:27 PM
[snapback]163108[/snapback]
here you go .

[attachment=12517:attachment]

Quick Reply: Beware the birds.....