Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Best parallel parking tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

I've just finished reading an article on skills we should all have and they had these tips on parallel parking. Now, we all know that all the members of this forum know how to parallel park, but just in case a non member (say a Toyota Lexus owner) happens to swing by, I'll post the tips:

1. Pull your car alongside the car in front of your space so you're two feet away from it, your front bumpers aligned. Put your foot on the brake and the car in reverse.

2. Lift your foot off the brake ? even goose the gas if you want ? while palming the wheel hard toward the curb. You want the angle to be sharp but not ridiculously sharp.

3. Once the back of your seat is aligned with the rear bumper of the other car, begin swinging the steering wheel away from the curb.

4. Straighten out. Your car should now, as though by magic, be about six inches from the curb, and parallel to it. You might have to creep forward, but if you've followed the steps one through three, all you'll have to do is exit your car, face nearby pedestrians ? they've probably stopped to applaud ? and perform the Pete Weber Crotch Chop by twice striking the inside of your thighs with karate hands.

I do the last sentence just for walking in a straight line.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d Black & SL350

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='899632' date='Jun 3 2009, 07:58 PM
I've just finished reading an article on skills we should all have and they had these tips on parallel parking. Now, we all know that all the members of this forum know how to parallel park, but just in case a non member (say a Toyota Lexus owner) happens to swing by, I'll post the tips:

1. Pull your car alongside the car in front of your space so you're two feet away from it, your front bumpers aligned. Put your foot on the brake and the car in reverse.

2. Lift your foot off the brake ? even goose the gas if you want ? while palming the wheel hard toward the curb. You want the angle to be sharp but not ridiculously sharp.

3. Once the back of your seat is aligned with the rear bumper of the other car, begin swinging the steering wheel away from the curb.

4. Straighten out. Your car should now, as though by magic, be about six inches from the curb, and parallel to it. You might have to creep forward, but if you've followed the steps one through three, all you'll have to do is exit your car, face nearby pedestrians ? they've probably stopped to applaud ? and perform the Pete Weber Crotch Chop by twice striking the inside of your thighs with karate hands.

Have you thought about just getting your wife to park it for you?
Old 06-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Contributors

or just live in a city for a couple of years! i parallel park so much, when i am around people that dont live in a city and the PP is just a formality on a driving test, they are wowed to the point they feel they need to talk about it for at least a minute or two after seeing me park.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by Lancaster' post='900986' date='Jun 4 2009, 03:15 PM
Have you thought about just getting your wife to park it for you?
You must be a Toyota Lexus owner, aren't you?
Old 06-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530d, AC front lip, AC rear boot spoiler, AC rear roof spoiler, M6 alloy wheels.

Seriously, if someone can't park they shouldn't be driving a BMW e60.

Maybe a mini would be more suitable!
Old 06-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d Black & SL350

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='901855' date='Jun 5 2009, 07:37 PM
You must be a Toyota Lexus owner, aren't you? " border="0" alt="confused.gif" />
Ah, I see that English is not your first language!
When I said "You" I meant, quite literally you...
As in YOU should get YOUR wife to park YOUR car for YOU.

Check the car info in my sig at the bottom of this post. If you can find any reference to a "Toyota Lexus" there then I am the fanny here, not you...

Thanks for all the parallel parking tips tho. Can you offer any advice on hill starts?
Old 06-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

I think you're all doing it wrong....

Old 06-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Contributors

Location: Milky Way, Earth, N. America, CA, San Jose, 95136, Latitude N 37� 16.837, Longitude W 121� 50.461
My Ride: 2004 530i | Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 | DPE R07 Variant S Gloss Black with Polished Lip 20x8.5 front 20x10 rear | Falken FK452 tires 245/30/20 front 275/30/20 rear | H&R Coilovers | Smoked Tail Lights | M5 trunk spoiler | AC Schnitzer style roof spoiler | HID 8000K headlights & foglights | 35% tint all around | Sprint Booster | Speed Innovation ECU tuning | M5 trunk finisher | M-Tech body kit | Remus Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer style pedals | Euro Stickers | RPi Ram Air Induction | Smoked LED Side Lenses | AC Schnitzer style e-brake handle | AC Schnitzer style shifter | AC Schnitzer style iDrive knob | AC Schnitzer style carbon fiber diffuser | carbon fiber hood/trunk/steering emblems | carbon fiber grilles | carbon fiber door pillars | MTEC v2 Angel Eyes | Hamann style carbon fiber splitter

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='899632' date='Jun 3 2009, 11:58 AM
? and perform the Pete Weber Crotch Chop by twice striking the inside of your thighs with karate hands.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='901952' date='Jun 5 2009, 04:29 PM
Old 06-06-2009, 05:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Lancaster' post='901932' date='Jun 5 2009, 04:17 PM
Ah, I see that English is not your first language!
When I said "You" I meant, quite literally you...
As in YOU should get YOUR wife to park YOUR car for YOU.

Check the car info in my sig at the bottom of this post. If you can find any reference to a "Toyota Lexus" there then I am the fanny here, not you...

Thanks for all the parallel parking tips tho. Can you offer any advice on hill starts?
I have searched and searched to see if perhaps I've offended you in a past post, but I can't find anything, so I just don't understand why you're being so belligerent toward me. First you offend ME by telling me to have my wife parallel park for me and then you double offend ME by attacking my understanding of English. Yes, I understood you were referring to me, the first time. I posted those tips because this is a forum where we exchange tips. While I have understood that you are a master at parallel parking ( ), there may be a very small percentage of members who may not be. If the tips don't apply to you, just click the next topic and move on. This is a community of people who help one another and occasionally have fun with one another. Your snide remarks are not welcome here.

Quick Reply: Best parallel parking tips