Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

benz.. might let go

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F13 M6

so we have a 1990 benz 300 E.. it was my dads first dream car when he came here to the states. he said it was the car he would see in movies in his time... always a mercedes. recently the car has been breaking down... tried having it fixed at many places and it seems it was all for nothing. seemed like it was fine after a tune up and replacing the spark plugs. then friday it broke down and it took forever just to get a mb representative on the line for roadside assistance. oil was leaking everywhere and was even on top of the engine cover. it was towed to a shop and all and they said today that the car is definitely a good car.. the body is awesome because i just kept taking care of it. after them replacing the spark plugs it ran great, but it wouldnt last. engine definitely needs to be overhauled.. but today we've just been told that it isnt worth it.. spending the money to rebuild the engine. they said it would be better to give it up and just get a new car. i hated to hear it.. my dad took it the worst. he was the one who loved that car the most. i want to keep it just for my dad and all... i wish it would be drivable and all too.. that car was supposed to be me and my dads project... never thought it would be this much.. we were planning on just making it all new again when im in / after college as in paint job, new rims, stereo, etc. we never knew it would be like this... benz isnt really reliable anymore... sucks...
Old 12-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Is a benz, ditch it

But since this car mean so much to your family, I say just keep it if budget allows. You know something money can't buy
Old 12-06-2006, 08:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

I think that the Benz did pretty well consdiering that it ran for 16 years. You should consider putting it into storage until you and your dad can restore the Benz back to it's glory days.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525i Silver Gray/Gray Dakota Leather | Steptronic | Cold Weather | Xenon | Premium Package Modifications: M Aero Kit | Carbon Fiber Kidney Grill | K&N Air Filter | Charcoal Filter Removed | Radenergie R10 Silver 20" soon | kW coilover V3 | SprintBooster soon | M5 trunk finisher Next planned mods: ?Hamann quad exhaust + Hamann quad rear diffuser + Hamann Front Lip?

Well, even if it's a benz, it has a personal value.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='364414' date='Dec 7 2006, 08:43 AM
I think that the Benz did pretty well consdiering that it ran for 16 years. You should consider putting it into storage until you and your dad can restore the Benz back to it's glory days.
i agree with VT keep the car in storage, and just work on it when ever you have some free time, and money. slowly, and enventually the car will be a very nice project.. this only works if you dont need an extra car if you do then this will be more difficult as still you need a driveable car...

but cars can mean alot to people.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:01 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Do you have to use a MB workshop? They are expensive like hell. Isn't better to let someone used to old cars repair it?
Old 12-07-2006, 03:07 AM
Members

Like the others said, keep it if you can afford to & treat it as a hobby/project. I had a Ford which I had from new, looked after it well, then sold it on for not a lot. Wish I had kept it for the sentimental value, as it was my 1st decent car & faultlessly ferried family / children around for 10 years. I'd buy it back tomorrow if I could..
Old 12-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

had another convo with my parents about the car. the plan for now is to take the car home. its just gonna sit in the front of the house until sometime in january. planning to do a "semi-overhaul" sometime in january or a little later.. for sure after the new year. the reason why it has to wait is because the mechanic thats going to do it is really sick and all... another option is taking the car to a filippino mechanic my dad knows. (back home in the philippines they would lower the engine on any car just to do simple stuff even). looks like we're leaning in on keeping the car more than letting it go. i know my dad really doesnt want to let go of the car for sure.. and i dont either. so we'll see what happens...
Old 12-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='364414' date='Dec 7 2006, 01:43 PM
itis not just MB, I had a mazda MPV 7 seater for 3 years and the gear box went and it cost more that the car is worth so I sraped it. the car was over 14 years.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 E90 M3

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='364851' date='Dec 8 2006, 01:30 AM
had another convo with my parents about the car. the plan for now is to take the car home. its just gonna sit in the front of the house until sometime in january. planning to do a "semi-overhaul" sometime in january or a little later.. for sure after the new year. the reason why it has to wait is because the mechanic thats going to do it is really sick and all... another option is taking the car to a filippino mechanic my dad knows. (back home in the philippines they would lower the engine on any car just to do simple stuff even). looks like we're leaning in on keeping the car more than letting it go. i know my dad really doesnt want to let go of the car for sure.. and i dont either. so we'll see what happens...
Keep it under covers if it's gonna be left outside. Good luck with it!