Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Beckham backlash..

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d

[ Linky ]

So what do you all think? Saw it coming or the fans were out of step there. For me though.. GREAT! and about time. I feel sad for the galaxy fans. They thought they were getting someone who could come over, shine in the matches and help the younger generation get into the sport.

Instead they paid becks tons, he runs off to AC Milan everytime he gets a chance and just what is he doing for soccer in USA as he so said when he moved.

galaxy would be better off using the money they wasted on beckham to hire lesser paid but equally skilled younger international players. Then let the team play as a TEAM!!.

I don't think the Bechams have any clue about what the fans and people of america are like. For a guy to come down and try to fight beckham, it shows a lot of pent up frustration by some fans. WOW! and normally the american folk are pretty well behaved and nice.

Well done Beckham,.. you are bringing the thug'ish football we have here in UK to america.

cheers
Old 07-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

I think the fans have the right to express their frustration. Beckham used Galaxy as a tool. I like Beckham but he didn't do right for fans at US.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='948111' date='Jul 20 2009, 08:53 PM
[ Linky ]

So what do you all think? Saw it coming or the fans were out of step there. For me though.. GREAT! and about time. I feel sad for the galaxy fans. They thought they were getting someone who could come over, shine in the matches and help the younger generation get into the sport.

Instead they paid becks tons, he runs off to AC Milan everytime he gets a chance and just what is he doing for soccer in USA as he so said when he moved.

galaxy would be better off using the money they wasted on beckham to hire lesser paid but equally skilled younger international players. Then let the team play as a TEAM!!.

I don't think the Bechams have any clue about what the fans and people of america are like. For a guy to come down and try to fight beckham, it shows a lot of pent up frustration by some fans. WOW! and normally the american folk are pretty well behaved and nice.

Well done Beckham,.. you are bringing the thug'ish football we have here in UK to america.

cheers
thanks for capitalizing UK but not America
Old 07-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

On one hand, Beckham signed a contract and he has to honor it.

On the other, Beckham has ignited an enormous amount of interest in MLS and soccer in the US in general. That's largely why the MLS did the deal.

Candidly, US club soccer is appalling, and he's still head and shoulders above virtually any other player in the MLS. It's no accident that he made both of the Galaxy goals upon his return. The issue here, was Landon Donovan inciting much of the reaction we saw with his comments in his book. Those comments were only partially justified, and coming from a player who himself negotiated a long term loan deal away at Beyer Leverkusen - so he could play a better standard of club football - are a little hypocritical...

Personally, I think the Galaxy fans are going to have to get used to it. The Milan/Galaxy deal is broadly the best of both worlds.

Edited to add the comments on US soccer aren't aimed at the national team - they definitely punch above their weight. But a lot of the players in Team USA don't ply their trade in the MLS...
Old 07-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Contributors

Beckham sold his fans out
Old 07-21-2009, 02:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by theXman' post='948173
thanks for capitalizing UK but not America
haha.. actually I hate the athmosphere that surrounds the football pitch during a game over here in UK. Its much like a thug hangout. When I watch some of the sports from the states, its like a family gathering to watch and enjoy the game. nice!

In UK, I make an effort NOT to take my son to football games and avoid being around a stadium before and after the match, for fear it may end up like this...

cheers
Old 07-21-2009, 05:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

wow im reading this but dont know what happened... he signed with galaxy a while ago, but now hes going back to europe? and what happened with the fan adn that kid?
Old 07-21-2009, 06:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by swajames' post='948243' date='Jul 20 2009, 10:21 PM
On the other, Beckham has ignited an enormous amount of interest in MLS and soccer in the US in general. That's largely why the MLS did the deal.
+1 This was a money deal that benefited both sides, especially Beckham whose skills have been declining due to age since the '06 World Cup. Its kinda sad to see the fans take it out on him like that - they were too foolish to see his signing for what it really was.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: carbonized MB coupe

All Football/Soccer stars are like that
look at the 100Million Dollar Ronaldo, there is no loyalty, but
i do respect Beckham to try to promote soccer in the states, because
he doesn't need the extra money, he is genuinely trying to promote the sport.
Who'se heard of the Galaxy outside of the states and even Donovan, now even in HK i see kids with
Herbalife shirts on, i'm sure the Galaxy made some money as well!!!!
anyhow even Man U and Liverpool?? is owned by Americans (Glazers etc)so i think the deal is not capitalisation of
the States, but by bizmen at the expense of the genuine fans.

those photos, Millwall,Cardiff "fans" come to mind innit?

Originally Posted by pukka' post='948834' date='Jul 21 2009, 10:18 PM
+1 This was a money deal that benefited both sides, especially Beckham whose skills have been declining due to age since the '06 World Cup. Its kinda sad to see the fans take it out on him like that - they were too foolish to see his signing for what it really was.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by billhk' post='948858' date='Jul 21 2009, 10:35 AM
All Football/Soccer stars are like that
look at the 100Million Dollar Ronaldo, there is no loyalty, but
i do respect Beckham to try to promote soccer in the states, because
he doesn't need the extra money, he is genuinely trying to promote the sport.
Who'se heard of the Galaxy outside of the states and even Donovan, now even in HK i see kids with
Herbalife shirts on, i'm sure the Galaxy made some money as well!!!!
anyhow even Man U and Liverpool?? is owned by Americans (Glazers etc)so i think the deal is not capitalisation of
the States, but by bizmen at the expense of the genuine fans.

those photos, Millwall,Cardiff "fans" come to mind innit?
Agreed. At the end of the day, this is all business and money, but they should at least make an effort to please the fans. Without the fans who pay the money to see the stars, there is no money for the club and certainly none for the stars either.

Quick Reply: Beckham backlash..