Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Beat my red light ticket LA County

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Black BMW 525i

Originally Posted by Ferdie' post='414383' date='Apr 16 2007, 02:07 PM
Guys,
I heard this theory years ago, don't know if it's true...

If you are guilty of a traffic violation and you just plan on paying the ticket, but don't want the violation shown in your DMV driving record (for insurance purposes) then try this. When you receive your fine in the mail, go ahead and mail back your payment by check, but overpay the bill by about $5 or so (suggest not overpaying by more than $10). When the city gets your check payment, they will have to send you a refund check back for $5 for your overpayment. Just hold on to that check for more than a year, DON'T CASH IT, maybe just rip it up. What this will do is keep your case open, they cannot close your case until all the funds have been cleared and transactions are complete. If your case stays pending and open for more than a year, then it is considered void, case closed. They throw your case out the window and they cannot report your violation to the DMV. There was no closure.

Like I said, don't know if this is true. Just heard it from an old friend who use to work at a police station.
I've acually heard about this too, but can't verify. Anybody know?
Old 04-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Members

Congrats on the win

Why would a cop show up to a camera light ticket? Just to defend the court plus to pass his 'expert' opinion?
Old 06-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BOBUCRUZ' post='414581' date='Apr 17 2007, 01:13 AM
I've acually heard about this too, but can't verify. Anybody know?
Doesn't work. Tried it like 6 years ago, wrote a ticket for $5 over. They cashed it and never gave me a overpayment refund. I checked my DMW records 3 months later and the ticket showed.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BOBUCRUZ' post='413023' date='Apr 12 2007, 10:23 PM
This code says if your front bumper is over the first line of the pedestrian walk way when the light turns red, you can go through.
First off congrats, but can you explain what you mean by front bumper over first line of pedestrian walk way?

I posted the code and don't see anything about being over the first line:

Circular Red or Red Arrow

21453. (a) A driver facing a steady circular red signal alone shall stop at a marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication to proceed is shown, except as provided in subdivision (b).

(b) Except when a sign is in place prohibiting a turn, a driver, after stopping as required by subdivision (a), facing a steady circular red signal, may turn right, or turn left from a one-way street onto a one-way street. A driver making that turn shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to any vehicle that has approached or is approaching so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard to the driver, and shall continue to yield the right-of-way to that vehicle until the driver can proceed with reasonable safety.

? A driver facing a steady red arrow signal shall not enter the intersection to make the movement indicated by the arrow and, unless entering the intersection to make a movement permitted by another signal, shall stop at a clearly marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication permitting movement is shown.

(d) Unless otherwise directed by a pedestrian control signal as provided in Section 21456, a pedestrian facing a steady circular red or red arrow signal shall not enter the roadway.
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 14, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by mickey513' post='612213' date='Jun 28 2008, 11:21 PM
First off congrats, but can you explain what you mean by front bumper over first line of pedestrian walk way?

I posted the code and don't see anything about being over the first line:

Circular Red or Red Arrow

21453. (a) A driver facing a steady circular red signal alone shall stop at a marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication to proceed is shown, except as provided in subdivision (b).

(b) Except when a sign is in place prohibiting a turn, a driver, after stopping as required by subdivision (a), facing a steady circular red signal, may turn right, or turn left from a one-way street onto a one-way street. A driver making that turn shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to any vehicle that has approached or is approaching so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard to the driver, and shall continue to yield the right-of-way to that vehicle until the driver can proceed with reasonable safety.

? A driver facing a steady red arrow signal shall not enter the intersection to make the movement indicated by the arrow and, unless entering the intersection to make a movement permitted by another signal, shall stop at a clearly marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication permitting movement is shown.

(d) Unless otherwise directed by a pedestrian control signal as provided in Section 21456, a pedestrian facing a steady circular red or red arrow signal shall not enter the roadway.
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 14, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.

Might just want to PM the member this question as the thread is over a year old, and if you check the OP's profile his last login date reads..