Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Bad weekend Story...Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 05:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i: Mystic Blue, Auburn Dakota leather Premium and Winter Package, Xenons

Ok ....so I've bought a Jeep 99 Cheerokee for plowing although havent put a plow on it....So while the snow storm hit the East Coast (Tri- State Area) while there was couple inches of snow on the road i wanted to test it...so im doing about 25 mph and wanted to see how good it turns in snow since four wheels of traction would grip the road....So i go to turn at the intersection and the car does not make the turn but looses control sliding sideways hitting the curb and a Mailbox(the blue ones.) Damn Federal Mailboxes...the Mailbox was fine although the car needed alignment done as well as paint peeled on the fender flare.... so i was afraid of testing the shit again ......but when i make a sharp turn the car feeels extremely ruff ...i have push down on the gas to really make that turn.....do all four wheel drive vehicles turn rough since while the turn is being made all four feels are turning? that is the only conclusion i come too....some saturday experience...hitting a mailbox at 25 mph....
Old 01-23-2005, 06:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Jerzguju' date='Jan 23 2005, 10:30 PM
Ok ....so I've bought a Jeep 99 Cheerokee for plowing although havent put a plow on it....So while the snow storm hit the East Coast (Tri- State Area) while there was couple inches of snow on the road i wanted to test it...so im doing about 25 mph and wanted to see how good it turns in snow since four wheels of traction would grip the road....So i go to turn at the intersection and the car does not make the turn but looses control sliding sideways hitting the curb and a Mailbox(the blue ones.) Damn Federal Mailboxes...the Mailbox was fine although the car needed alignment done as well as paint peeled on the fender flare.... so i was afraid of testing the shit again ......but when i make a sharp turn the car feeels extremely ruff ...i have push down on the gas to really make that turn.....do all four wheel drive vehicles turn rough since while the turn is being made all four feels are turning? that is the only conclusion i come too....some saturday experience...hitting a mailbox at 25 mph....
[snapback]82332[/snapback]
lol, u really think the cars can do what commercials say? they have a "done by professionals" thing on the bottom cuz they know it can't be done normally. even though your car is a 4 wheel drive, your still ontop of the snow, and depending on what kinda snow it is, u'll slip, in some cases, ppl can't even walk on fresh snow cuz it's just plain slippery. when ur car compacts the snow underneath the tires, the compacted layer actually prevents your car from gripping.

as for the roughness, it may be because you need an alignment, i had a similar experience with my X5 being very jumpy and one time very shaky and would'nt go when i turned.

Hope this helps, good luck with the car
Old 01-23-2005, 07:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Jerzguju' date='Jan 23 2005, 06:30 PM
but when i make a sharp turn the car feeels extremely ruff ...i have push down on the gas to really make that turn.....do all four wheel drive vehicles turn rough since while the turn is being made all four feels are turning? that is the only conclusion i come too
Ok I'm only assuming here sicne I dont know how well equipped your Jeep is. If its one of the low end jeeps where you can engage 4 wheel drive and is not a all time AWD jeep then it probably doesnt have a Differential for the front or rear wheels. So when you make a turn the inside wheels travel a shorter distance than the outside wheels . When you engage 4WD the wheels would have to be locked together, forced to spin at the same speed. This would make turning difficult and hard on your car: For the car to be able to turn the set of wheels that dont have a differential one tire would have to slip rubbing against the cement floor.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Senior Members

just turn slowly next time.

i often hear people gets too over confident with 4x4 / AWD/ 4WD etc.
a 'little bird' sings that those get you stuck farther away from home...
Old 01-24-2005, 03:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I used to do all my winter vehicle capabilities experimenting at a paved State Park with lots of open space. You just never know how YOU and the vehicle will react under different circumstances. Best not to have those things that can go "bump" near at hand when experimenting. Recognize that I did this someplace other than sunny Florida where I now reside.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Jerzguju' date='Jan 23 2005, 08:30 PM
I too have a 4x4 for those snowy days (and we get some of those) ... my 4runner is great is the snow (with good m+s tires) ... when you get into the turn, while in 4 wheel drive, you need to hit the gas, it will still slide a little sideways, but it will get traction and turn for you, but you need to give it gas ...