Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Apple Release 3 New Products

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

I worked for Apple for years. The biggest speed bump for the iPhone will be the ball and chain contracts that every cell company ties us too. Cingular has a two year exclusive contract with Apple for this from what I understand.

As far as the issue with Cisco. This shows the internal arrogance of Apple management in not getting a detail cleared. I hope they stick it to Steve and company.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I mean, this stuff is hardly revolutionary. For the true digerati, this shouldn't seem all that different from what has been around for months/years already. Just like with the iPod.

For example:

I have had a Motorola Q since it came out - since about April I believe.

I get EV-DO data on it, so 400+ Kbps.

With that, I can:

-Use IE to listen to Sirius and XM on Windows Media Player
-Connect to "IM" buddies on any messaging platform (free 3rd party client)
-NES emulator (yeah, I can play Nintendo game ROMs)
-Slingplayer (I watch my TV, change channels, watch OnDemand, and DVR shows - I can program the DVR too)
-Maps for PDA client (can use Google Maps, Yahoo Maps, AvantGo Maps, AskMaps)
-MiniSD slot, with 4GB of capacity for songs and video
-Tetherable to laptop for high speed access
-Can use any Windows Mobile for Smartphone apps
-Scroll wheel, smaller form factor, etc...
-Stereo bluetooth support
-Works incredibly well as a -phone-, something most all-in-one devices don't do
-$99

Aside from differences in the visual "pretty" factor, and large screen (unimportant to many), the iPhone really isn't that interesting. Even the gestures and chord input schemas have been seen before - just read the prior art in Apple's patent filing. My friend had a keyboard based on the technology several years ago.

Apple does a decent job of bringing last years' bleeding edge to the masses - and packaging it in a slick-enough, dummy-proof enough way to move it in volume. For this, they're known as innovators.

When you can watch live Monday Night Football on the underground Metro (while it's moving) on an iPhone, you let me know...

(I have done that on my Q in DC - Verizon Wireless is the only carrier that works on the DC metro)

I actually think one of the biggest challenges facing Apple will be fragility of the iPhone and screen issues. The chances of pixel defects on a screen of that size is pretty good. Look at the PSP - big issues with that. Also, it's normal to pay a fee to ensure PDA handsets - this kind of device is aimed at the kinds of users who probably aren't used to that idea, and might not really be able to tack on another $6 a month just to safeguard a big complex device that will likely get screwed up with use. I also think they're screwed if they didn't make the battery interchangeable.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Senior Members

I may be picking one up. My complaints are...

1. Contract term with Cingular (may get an unlocked phone and do without the very cool visual voicemail)
2. Lack of 3G (although EDGE combined with Wi-Fi may work for me 95% of the time)
3. Current lack of ability to add applications to the phone. (they need to open that up)
4. Small storage size for an iPod given video content or most music collections.
5. Kinda expensive (but then I'm a tech whore)

I'll also have to wait and see what the Cingular rate plans look like but I just won't sign a two year commit with anyone. I would (almost) rather pay the early termination fee up front and have the freedom. If Apple allows third party applications to be installed it would seal the deal for me. 8GB of space on a BSD based smart phone for applications (including xterm) would be sweet.

The state of mobile (and home cordless) phones in the US has me really down. <_<
Old 01-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Simple1' post='376179' date='Jan 10 2007, 12:01 AM
I am getting one, suck that it's all the way in June, tmobile just lost a customer!
I will have access to unlocked versions for an estimated 650.00....I use tmobile had cingular, not sure how they managed that one....June is right around the corner. I have a feeling we will see if the start of next quarter...
Old 01-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by DINAN530i' post='376696' date='Jan 11 2007, 12:24 AM
I will have access to unlocked versions for an estimated 650.00....I use tmobile had cingular, not sure how they managed that one....June is right around the corner. I have a feeling we will see if the start of next quarter...

Good luck with that - I wouldn't touch one without a replacement policy. Aren't those hard to come by in the unlocked marketplace?
Old 01-11-2007, 07:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='376706' date='Jan 11 2007, 01:02 AM
Good luck with that - I wouldn't touch one without a replacement policy. Aren't those hard to come by in the unlocked marketplace?

Apple will not allow an unlocked version. This would be termed as 'grey market' and the Apple Lawyers are monsters. I would not even suggest it on this site at this point. Apple employees that read this site may have already notified the folks.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='376859' date='Jan 11 2007, 11:34 AM
Apple will not allow an unlocked version.
Just like Motorola won't allow unlocked phones?
Old 01-12-2007, 01:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

I am sure if the phone comes to HK it will be unlock as no one buys locked phone here.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='376598' date='Jan 11 2007, 07:24 AM
Hell no I'm not getting an iPhone. What a joke. And people thought the PS3 was a crazy value proposition at $599. We don't even know if it's going to be an "open" platform yet. Apple is essentially doing nothing more than making a touchscreen PDA/Smartphone with a 20+ year old OS ported to it. They just happen to have a nice hype machine and the rights to use the magic word "iPod". It remains to be seen whether or not they have made a more usable interface. As usual, battery life is the enemy for this sort of device, and I doubt their claims - meager though they may be.
Too bad they don't have rights to use the name "iPhone" yet. Whoooo - my sides. I hope Cisco is really sticking it to them.
I'm not doing the Apple video distribution either - the vids have to be in your iTunes/QT library. Rather have an agnostic solution like the newly announced SlingCatcher from Sling Media. Will be under $200.
Not a big fan of apple products are you? Hey care to explain the 20+ year old OS part? I'm interested to hear more, since I thought the iPhone runs on OSX, which is a new OS.

Anyways, Apple still rule for me!! iPod, iMac, MacBook, what more do you need in terms of multimedia and computer?
Old 01-12-2007, 05:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='377177' date='Jan 12 2007, 03:16 AM
Hey care to explain the 20+ year old OS part? I'm interested to hear more, since I thought the iPhone runs on OSX, which is a new OS.

Anyways, Apple still rule for me!! iPod, iMac, MacBook, what more do you need in terms of multimedia and computer?
OS X is (essentially) Unix based, with an open source core. That's a very good thing, contributing significantly to the stability and security of the OS X platform as compared to Windows. OS X was built out from development at NeXT which was the company Jobs ran before returning to Apple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix

Quick Reply: Apple Release 3 New Products