Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Anyone Else to SD BMWCCA Driving School

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 08:28 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Just curious if anyone else was going to the Buttonwillow 2005 Driving School that is being held by the San Diego Chapter of the BMW CCA.

I have a spot and was curious to see if anyone else was headed up there, or if I would be the only E60. Had the car go through it's tech inspection, charged up the battery for the in car camera and getting ready to go. Got my helmet, driving gloves and driving shoes ready to go. Really look forward to learning, and driving.

Will head up Friday from SD.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:21 AM
Contributors

Well, I was the only E60 there. Mostly 3 series, couple 2002's, M5's, 911, WRX's, Miata's, Integre's, Z's, Vette's and couple others.

I had a real blast, and learned alot about smooth controlled driving. I also got alot of complements from others on my car.

It actually did very well on the track, as the limit of the driver was being pushed , not the car. There was a total of 8 track sessions, with some classroom time also. Pic of my car below next to E39 M5.

Anyone Else to SD BMWCCA Driving School-mycar.jpg

Pic of some of the instructor's cars.

Anyone Else to SD BMWCCA Driving School-instruct_cars.jpg

I also got a chance to take a ride in the Yellow 911 GT3 above , a M3 with Compound R tires, a John Cooper Works Mini S with Compound R tires, and 3 series sedan with M3 conversion. That was a blast, he had that car drifting around corners, the Mini was great, only had one lap, and the GT3, well what can I say, but WOOOW.

The class was great and appreciate the instructors taking the time to help out, along with all the people involved. It was a great event, and would recommend it to anyone. Nice to explore the cars potential in a controlled environment.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Awesome! Thanks for the pics.

How'd everyone like the SMG on the track?
Old 02-14-2005, 09:34 AM
Contributors

Only my instructor drove my car for a couple of laps, but once he figured out that it was not like the M series, was able to get it.

I did not start shifting until the second day, was able to go around the track in 3rd the first day, but the instructor said it seemed to be better than earlier versions he recalled. I will say though, that I was very impressed with the instructors with the Manuals, and going through the Heel and toe downshifting(GT3, Mini, and M3 sedan).

Another guy with an M3, said he would have preffered the style of my paddles versus the up on right, down on left.

I took some in car video of me driving, but don't have my computer with the software to download and post yet. Hope to get it done the next time I get back to Denver.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Thanks CR. I assume you used the Sport mode the entire time, right?

Also, I have to agree that the E60 paddle arrangement is more logical than the M-cars. I've read opinions in magazines that are opposite but I don't place much weight on them. I'm glad to see that an M3 SMG owner gets what I've been thinking all along...
Old 02-15-2005, 03:07 AM
Members

I was at buttonwillow this weekend also. I was bummed I did not get a chance to come and talk to you about your e60. I too have a 545 I just got a couple weeks ago, but I brought out my STI to drive. My car got double duty last weekend, I was sharing it with a friend who had never been out to the track before.

I was working the corners on Saturday during lunch watching you drive the course, and it looked awesome. The car looks tight going around the track. How tossable was the car on the track? Did it understeer much? Brakes overheat? Was it easy to get the power down in turn 2 and 10?

I am going to bring my wife to Drivingconcepts at buttonwillow in april to drive the 545i, however, I will still drive the subaru.

Looking forward to your input...
Old 02-15-2005, 03:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Does your regular insurance cover you if the car is damaged at an event like this? I have been told that becasue it is instruction, rather than racing, you remain covered. Same issue for warranty coverage. Can anyone who has participated confirm or deny that your insurance / warranty remain cover damage incurred at the track.

I would love to try an event like this, but not if I would have to pay out of my pocket if a kiss a wall or blow and engine.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by yamamoto' date='Feb 15 2005, 05:07 AM
I was at buttonwillow this weekend also.? I was bummed I did not get a chance to come and talk to you about your e60.? I too have a 545 I just got a couple weeks ago, but I brought out my STI to drive.? My car got double duty last weekend, I was sharing it with a friend who had never been out to the track before.

I was working the corners on Saturday during lunch watching you drive the course, and it looked awesome.? The car looks tight going around the track.? How tossable was the car on the track?? Did it understeer much?? Brakes overheat? Was it easy to get the power down in turn 2 and 10?

I am going to bring my wife to Drivingconcepts at buttonwillow in april to drive the 545i, however, I will still drive the subaru.

Looking forward to your input...
[snapback]90336[/snapback]
yamamoto, welcome. Saw a couple of STI's so not sure which one you were. The car felt a little big, but then again this was my first track experience. The second day I was shifting, and felt the power coming out of the corners was better (second gear vs. third) Had no problems with the brakes, and did not experience understeer, but I was more at the limit of my comfort level, not the cars.

Just sent in my application for the Sin City driving school in Las Vegas for May. What is the driving concepts at Buttonwillow? I would not mind going back there.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, yamamoto !
Old 02-15-2005, 08:28 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, yamamoto !

thanks for the pics, crrobert .

Quick Reply: Anyone Else to SD BMWCCA Driving School