Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Anyone with ATT Uverse?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Well after the announcement of time warner doing bullshit internet caps I've decided to switch. I'm close to ordering uverse, and was wondering if anyone has it and if they like it or if they dont. I will be getting tv/internet 6mb.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Contributors

no clue what you are talking about... dont you have like cox cable down in texas? dont you want some cox?
Old 04-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Contributors

No cox here(cable wise)

The options are time warner cable/dish/direct tv or uverse with fiber internet. I want to get off time warner internet, so I will get tv with it for a better rate so that rules dish out. Time warner is going to charge $150 for unlimited, which I am paying $40 right now. If I want to keep the internet they will cap at 40GB and charge $1 per gig extra. I've transfered 600+GB in a month. So I would have a $600 bill in overages..
Old 04-13-2009, 07:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

GET IT!!!!!!! We have it up here in parts of Chicago. It's amazing.....I can't get it myself yet...but my mother in law has it and it's sick. You can share your DVR with any TV in the house. Rediculous internet bandwidth...oh, and AT&T uses Cisco hardware set top boxes, which supports what I do professionally. Oh, and all of that for less then what I pay now to Comcast Cable.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG

Yeah I cant believe time warner is doing this. Alot of people are going to jump ship.
But the scary thing is att may do the same thing and charge for going over as well.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Sports, Premium and dynamic packages

Mike, with all the respect some people are very happy and some are not so, it is a growing system and they still experiencing a lot of growing pains...a salesperson left my house and we signed up for U-Verse. We came inside and did a little research and found some interesting blogs, in some cases 3 people in 3 different states had their TV units completely shut, apparently some DVR boxes are malfunction and drag the TV along with it. The number one customer complaint is "constant return of tech service appointment".

Personally, I am cancelling tomorrow and do not want to mess with it for now! I rather wait until they fix these issues before I commit or take a chance of having my electronics out of order...

Blog it out, but here is a link it may help: http://www.ucan.org/blog/internet_media/br...and_time_warner
Old 04-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Sports, Premium and dynamic packages

Phil,
blog this topic out, there is a lot of info out there, unfortunately for South Florida still in its infancy, besides I have 3 HD TVs and their HD line up is not extensive as DirecTV which I have right now. In addition, there was a couple of people that had their computers fried, not sure if related??? It sounds ridiculous but we have 4 laptops and 4 desktops at home they are from 6 months to 2 years old, BTW there are 3 people in my house and I confess we are electronic junkies, but still I cannot afford for any of my equipment to break as its all in use for work and personal. Just check your area for feedback.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Senior Members

Personally,

I hate the concept of U-verse. It's glorifying old technology.
It's VDSL[2+] (last mile) instead of Fiber.

If you can get Verizon FiOS GET THAT INSTEAD!

I think the Max U-verse offers in most area's is 10/1.5 Mbits/sec. Some markets get 18Mbits...

Max is 2 HD Streams per house, compressed on top of that.
Your VOIP eats into your Internet connection, instead of having a separate channel like Comcast.
Your TV can actually slow down your internet too. As it's all part of the same pool.

If you'd like more of my input, feel free to PM Me.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:43 AM
Contributors

Hmm intresting, but how is it any different than what I currently have? I have time warner, and it would still come in thru the same cable right?
Old 04-15-2009, 07:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='847966' date='Apr 15 2009, 10:43 AM
Hmm intresting, but how is it any different than what I currently have? I have time warner, and it would still come in thru the same cable right?
Essentially, it will come through your phone line, NOT your Coax.

Cable:
[data centers] --(Fiber)-- [Local Data Center] --(Coax)-- [Home]

U-verse
[data centers] --(Fiber)-- [Local Data Center] --(Last mile is copper)-- [Home]

FiOS (Verizon)
[data centers] --(Fiber)-- [Local Data Center] --(Fiber)-- [Home]

Quick Reply: Anyone with ATT Uverse?