Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Another Watch Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 08:32 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am about to purchase a Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Caliber 17RS in April.

So far, I checked the price and found it to be between 4,500-4,900$ in the Middle East (I am currently on Vacation).

I have a few questions:

1 - Can I find it cheaper in the US or Canada (I live in Montreal).
2 - Anyone familiar with TAG watches and can tell me when is the next release of the Grand Carrera? (I don't want to purchase it and find out that a few month later, the new one got released).

Any further help or suggestions are much appreciate it.

This will be my first BIG BOY Watch that I buy. Want to be as knowledgeable as possible.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Originally Posted by Bteljuice
I am about to purchase a Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Caliver 17RS in April.

So far, I checked the price and found it to be between 4,500-4,900$ in the Middle East (I am currently on Vacation).

I have a few questions:

1 - Can I find it cheaper in the US or Canada (I live in Montreal).
2 - Anyone familiar with TAG watches and can tell me when is the next release of the Grand Carrera? (I don't want to purchase it and find out that a few month later, the new one got released).

Any further help or suggestions are much appreciate it.

This will be my first BIG BOY Watch that I buy. Want to be as knowledgeable as possible.
What's up with that danasoft.com thing? Kinda freaks me out.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

looks like a nice watch I'll ask my wife about it.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by healthservices
looks like a nice watch I'll ask my wife about it.
Thank you. PM replied.

If anyone else could also give additional feedback, suggestions, advice, etc... would be much appreciated.

I have relatives in Miami, so was thinking more around that area, but thought most dealers in US should give same price, give or take a few bucks depending on state.
In Canada, was thinking more in Quebec or Ontario. (preferably) Montreal or Toronto.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

I have both the silver and black dial versions of this watch. I also have a stainless steel band, a brown croc, and a black croc band that I interchange between them. The watches retail for $5900 each, but can be had for $3500-$3600 from online outlets, such as Amazon. I am not sure when a new Carrera will be available, but I doubt there will be one with the same name/style as the Grand.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CWS530
I have both the silver and black dial versions of this watch. I also have a stainless steel band, a brown croc, and a black croc band that I interchange between them. The watches retail for $5900 each, but can be had for $3500-$3600 from online outlets, such as Amazon. I am not sure when a new Carrera will be available, but I doubt there will be one with the same name/style as the Grand.
Thank you so much for the info.

seems its more expansive in the US than in the Middle East.
1- Is it safe to buy from Amazon such a watch? I mean is it an authentic dealer of Tag? We're talking about 3.5K $. Need to be 100%. I know Amazon is trustworthy, but is it an authentic TAG dealer.

2- I see what you are doing. So you have different bracelets for the same watch. That way you will have different styles according to what you are wearing. Is it easy to change bracelets?
Can you do it yourself?

3-I know that TAG keeps releasing new Grand but different names such as 8RS, 17 RS, 36RS. Just wondering when a new RS will be released. If anyone knows.

4- If anything happens to the watch (glass gets scratched or broken), is it cover under warranty? Warranty consists of what? and how many years?

Sorry for all the questions, but want to learn everything about a purchase before I spend BIG money on it.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Thank you so much for the info.

seems its more expansive in the US than in the Middle East.
1- Is it safe to buy from Amazon such a watch? I mean is it an authentic dealer of Tag? We're talking about 3.5K $. Need to be 100%. I know Amazon is trustworthy, but is it an authentic TAG dealer.

2- I see what you are doing. So you have different bracelets for the same watch. That way you will have different styles according to what you are wearing. Is it easy to change bracelets?
Can you do it yourself?

3-I know that TAG keeps releasing new Grand but different names such as 8RS, 17 RS, 36RS. Just wondering when a new RS will be released. If anyone knows.

4- If anything happens to the watch (glass gets scratched or broken), is it in water under warranty? Warranty consists of what? and how many years?

Sorry for all the questions, but want to learn everything about a purchase before I spend BIG money on it.
No problem.

1. Amazon is not an authorized TAG dealer. No third party or internet source is. Only watches purchased from a TAG dealer (in store) are covered by the official TAG warranty. TAGs purchased through Amazon are covered for the same two years by Amazon's own warranty however. I'm not sure if it is EXACTLY the same though. I suspect it is similar since most watch warranties are basically the same as explained below.

2. It is extremely easy to change watch bands. Basically, you just need to depress a spring bar and pop it out. Steel bands are a bit more difficult to line up, but just be patient--you'll get the hang of it. I would suggest practicing on a cheap watch first until you are comfortable. Here's a good vid:

3. I thought you meant a new version of the 17 RS. I'm not sure when the next RS model will come out in the RS line, but they usually get more complicated and expensive as they are introduced.

4. The watch is not covered by the TAG warranty for damage caused by the customer. This also includes moisture in the watch caused by customer error (i.e., taking it beyond the depth stated, leaving the stem unscrewed in water, etc.) If there is a flaw in the manufacture, however, it is covered.

The TAG warranty is for two years. It covers any factory flaw in the watch not caused by damage or wear. Therefore if you damage the crystal, it is NOT covered.

I'm not giving you advice regarding whether or not to buy from an authorized TAG dealer. But keep in mind, it is unlikely that any manufacturing flaws will be present. I own seven TAG Heuer automatics and have yet to have a problem. Also, the savings from purchasing the watch from an unauthorized dealer usually will more than offset the cost of repairs IF something is wrong with watch. Also, again, Amazon does offer a similar two year warranty. Other third party sellers may offer a similar warranty/pricing; I was just using Amazon as an example.

Let me know if you have additional questions. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Contributors

Thank you so much for the in depth info.

You basically answered all my questions and more. Thanks again.

Oh, one last question.
Im still confused which bracelet to buy first that comes with the watch. The black leather or the stainless steel.
When buying them with the watch, they are both the same price but forgot to ask which is cheaper to buy alone later on.

No problem.

1. Amazon is not an authorized TAG dealer. No third party or internet source is. Only watches purchased from a TAG dealer (in store) are covered by the official TAG warranty. TAGs purchased through Amazon are covered for the same two years by Amazon's own warranty however. I'm not sure if it is EXACTLY the same though. I suspect it is similar since most watch warranties are basically the same as explained below.

2. It is extremely easy to change watch bands. Basically, you just need to depress a spring bar and pop it out. Steel bands are a bit more difficult to line up, but just be patient--you'll get the hang of it. I would suggest practicing on a cheap watch first until you are comfortable. Here's a good vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtPde-M5Xz0

3. I thought you meant a new version of the 17 RS. I'm not sure when the next RS model will come out in the RS line, but they usually get more complicated and expensive as they are introduced.

4. The watch is not covered by the TAG warranty for damage caused by the customer. This also includes moisture in the watch caused by customer error (i.e., taking it beyond the depth stated, leaving the stem unscrewed in water, etc.) If there is a flaw in the manufacture, however, it is covered.

The TAG warranty is for two years. It covers any factory flaw in the watch not caused by damage or wear. Therefore if you damage the crystal, it is NOT covered.

I'm not giving you advice regarding whether or not to buy from an authorized TAG dealer. But keep in mind, it is unlikely that any manufacturing flaws will be present. I own seven TAG Heuer automatics and have yet to have a problem. Also, the savings from purchasing the watch from an unauthorized dealer usually will more than offset the cost of repairs IF something is wrong with watch. Also, again, Amazon does offer a similar two year warranty. Other third party sellers may offer a similar warranty/pricing; I was just using Amazon as an example.

Let me know if you have additional questions. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Contributors

Thank you so much for the in depth info.

You basically answered all my questions and more. Thanks again.

Oh, one last question.
Im still confused which bracelet to buy first that comes with the watch. The black leather or the stainless steel.
When buying them with the watch, they are both the same price but forgot to ask which is cheaper to buy alone later on.
Definitely start with the stainless steel band. Locating one later will be a PITA. The leather bands are far easier to locate--you can even find them on e-Bay. The bands are also less expensive so long as not purchased from a TAG dealer. It makes no difference where you get it, it's not like it's going to have a warranty anyway. Also, you can fit just about any standard 22mm strap (TAG or aftermarket), whereas only the OEM stainless steel band will fit. Another consideration is that you will be more comfortable getting stainless steel wet when swimming, sweating, etc. The leather band really looks good for dressing up a bit IMHO. I generally wear the stainless in the summer (swimming and sweating) and the leather in the winter (not swimming and sweating).
Old 01-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Contributors

Definitely start with the stainless steel band. Locating one later will be a PITA. The leather bands are far easier to locate--you can even find them on e-Bay. The bands are also less expensive so long as not purchased from a TAG dealer. It makes no difference where you get it, it's not like it's going to have a warranty anyway. Also, you can fit just about any standard 22mm strap (TAG or aftermarket), whereas only the OEM stainless steel band will fit. Another consideration is that you will be more comfortable getting stainless steel wet when swimming, sweating, etc. The leather band really looks good for dressing up a bit IMHO. I generally wear the stainless in the summer (swimming and sweating) and the leather in the winter (not swimming and sweating).
Good to know. Thanks a lot
Will start with stainless steel.

So its ok to get aftermarket leather band? Same quality as OEM? how about price?

Anyhow, will check where you get them (if online cheaper and same quality as OEM).

Honestly, when I spend around 3.5K$ on a watch. It will come NOWHERE NEAR WATER. Any kind of water. Salty water, Chlorine water, etc... If I want to go swimming, I'll just take my CK or Tommy Hilfiger watch.

Maybe because it's my first BIG BOY WATCH lol. Was the same way with my BMW. Kind of changed after 3 years now.

Thanks AGAIN for your help, suggestions and knowledge. Really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Another Watch Question