Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Amazon.co.uk shipping to Spain

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted
Thumbs up

Hi, I would like to order few books and MacBook Pro 15" from Amazon.co.uk and don't know if there is some sort of tax or customs that applies or it comes directly to the door Do you know?
Old 09-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Amazon.co.uk pricing is typically inclusive of UK VAT where applicable (the rate is currently 15%, but it set to return to 17.5% in January). Amazon will adjust their UK tax-inclusive pricing to reflect Spanish VAT (16%) when you go through to checkout and enter the delivery address. In a nutshell, you'll see a slight price increase on the MacBook due to the 1% VAT differential between the UK and Spain, plus a further increase on the books as the UK applies a 0% rate to most books, but Spain levies VAT at 4% on most books. There are no customs duties levied on an intra-EU sale and delivery of goods.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted
Talking

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1014359' date='Sep 23 2009, 02:05 AM
Amazon.co.uk pricing is typically inclusive of UK VAT where applicable (the rate is currently 15%, but it set to return to 17.5% in January). Amazon will adjust their UK tax-inclusive pricing to reflect Spanish VAT (16%) when you go through to checkout and enter the delivery address. In a nutshell, you'll see a slight price increase on the MacBook due to the 1% VAT differential between the UK and Spain, plus a further increase on the books as the UK applies a 0% rate to most books, but Spain levies VAT at 4% on most books. There are no customs duties levied on an intra-EU sale and delivery of goods.
Thank you for your reply. It amazes me how this forum is always helpful and members as some distant virtual (sometimes not only) friends. Very explanatory reply! Couldn't ask for better!! Muchas gracias
Old 09-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hondik' post='1014574' date='Sep 23 2009, 08:40 AM
Thank you for your reply. It amazes me how this forum is always helpful and members as some distant virtual (sometimes not only) friends. Very explanatory reply! Couldn't ask for better!! Muchas gracias
Although everything said is good, about VAT, what you'll (VERY) often find is that when you try and order electrical items from Amazon UK (especially if it's from another sell through Amazon) they'll slam you with one of those "this item cannot be dispatched outside of the UK" messages. It doesn't happen on all items, I've bought routers, mp3 players, cameras and stuff from Amazon UK and had them shipped to Germany. On the other hand, I've been prevented from ordering many items with that warning message. Luckily when that happens, I get the item sent to my sister (in the UK) who simply slaps a sticker on the package with my address on it and re-posts it to me.

If buying a laptop, consider whether you want a UK keyboard layout which is different to a US layout. Also, the power adaptor will have a UK mains plug on it. In most cases you can just cut the plug off and wire up a local plug of your own. The laptop power adaptors are all 100-240v so there's no concern there.