Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

3DTVs are here, are they worth the hype?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if you guys are planning on getting a 3DTV...
I was thinking about the technology, but not too keen with those 3D glasses idea....
Old 04-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I played with one at a local store, and I was surprised to find that they actually do work... Rather well as it happens. The set I tried was the Panasonic, together with a 3D ready BluRay player and the electronically controlled glasses (they are battery operated). The price isn't too prohibitive, new technology generally tends to start higher whereas this one isn't too bad right from day one (one issue however is that the glasses are pretty steep... Prices there need to tumble.)

As always, the technology will live or die based on content, not hardware. There are a fair few movies now coming out in 3D (and I was very pleasantly surprised by the new Dreamworks movie, which was really most excellent) so I think this technology may well take off.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Contributors

Give it a year or two when all brands would have it and the price will drop dramatically. I don't think it's worth it. PLUS, there are a few movies out in 3D. So I think it's kind of pointless at this time.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Contributors

ESPN will be launching a 3D Network starting in June with the World Cup, and also some football in the fall.

Looking forward to price drops as more players join in...
Old 04-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I personally get the feeling it will not catch on and will go the way of the Betamax!
Old 04-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by swajames
I played with one at a local store, and I was surprised to find that they actually do work... Rather well as it happens. The set I tried was the Panasonic, together with a 3D ready BluRay player and the electronically controlled glasses (they are battery operated). The price isn't too prohibitive, new technology generally tends to start higher whereas this one isn't too bad right from day one (one issue however is that the glasses are pretty steep... Prices there need to tumble.)

As always, the technology will live or die based on content, not hardware. There are a fair few movies now coming out in 3D (and I was very pleasantly surprised by the new Dreamworks movie, which was really most excellent) so I think this technology may well take off.
Are you getting one? Did you end up getting a new TV?
Old 04-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Are you getting one? Did you end up getting a new TV?

Maybe! It's on the list...
Old 04-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by swajames

Maybe! It's on the list...
Waiting for Christmas or something?
Old 04-05-2010, 12:44 AM
Contributors

I got a Sony Bravia 40" 3D LCD TV, the monolith design. I've got the 3D Sony Bravia Blu-Ray player arriving in a couple of days. You'd think I'd be excited about 3D, not really though. It just seemed a bit silly to not pay the extra to get it. I might only regret it later. I won't be in a massive hurry to buy all the 3D titles I can though. I might get "Up" because I missed it when it was out, but I won't be looking to get Avatar. Although it was my first cinema experience of 3D and I thought it was amazing, the film wasn't really worthy of a second viewing.

~DD~ addicted to the best tech not the stuff with an Apple logo on it

One thing I won't be doing though, is putting any of those active shutter 3D glasses on. The idea of what it might do to the eyes or to the brain concerns me.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I'm still hoping there may be some kind of new tech that'll bring out TVs or projectors that do not require glasses - feel dumb enough donning those at the IMAX, at home it'd be really annoying. If you're getting a TV anyway, it may make some sense to go ahead and throw the extra few bucks. But if you're in a position where you can wait for the better tech - that's what I'd do.

BTW I also played with the tech at the local BB. Don't remember if they had the Panasonic or the Samsung, but something tells me Samsung for some reason. It did look pretty good and worked awesome with those glasses. Again, I just hate the idea of needing glasses. I sometimes have movie nights at home, where 7-8 people would watch the same set - that's like a grand in glasses alone! uhm, no thanks :thumbsdown:

PS Apple rules though

Quick Reply: 3DTVs are here, are they worth the hype?