Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

2011 Formula 1 Season

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:54 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crazy what happened with Formula 1 bending over backwards to please Audi to entice them into F1. All the teams accepted a switch to four cylinder turbo engines if it meant Audi would join, so it became the rule for the 2013 season. Then Audi changed their mind and decided they'd stay out of F1, but the 4 cylinder rule remained, although now postponed to 2014. Adrian Newey wasn't happy about it.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Crazy what happened with Formula 1 bending over backwards to please Audi to entice them into F1. All the teams accepted a switch to four cylinder turbo engines if it meant Audi would join, so it became the rule for the 2013 season. Then Audi changed their mind and decided they'd stay out of F1, but the 4 cylinder rule remained, although now postponed to 2014. Adrian Newey wasn't happy about it.
Audi chicken out because they know they going to loss badly
but it will be fun hearing a 4 cylinder engine doing over 200mph
Old 07-18-2011, 06:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by pinguhk
Audi has access to the best engineering talent in any automaker today and the VW group with Audi and Porsche know how to run winning race teams. Have you forgotten Audi's total dominance at LeMans? They know how to run a team.

The VW group would in all likelihood have done much better in F1 than BMW. They have deep pockets and access to excellent engineers. If VW/Audi was considering participating, it is most probably the poor current state of the sport and its governance that kept them out, not fear about a lack of success.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames
Audi has access to the best engineering talent in any automaker today and the VW group with Audi and Porsche know how to run winning race teams. Have you forgotten Audi's total dominance at LeMans? They know how to run a team.

The VW group would in all likelihood have done much better in F1 than BMW. They have deep pockets and access to excellent engineers. If VW/Audi was considering participating, it is most probably the poor current state of the sport and its governance that kept them out, not fear about a lack of success.
I know I was just JK.
They have much more money than other makers so I know if they race F1 they will get good result so even win it.
for LeMans it was BMW that chicken out after all the win with the E46GT.
I just wish BMW do something with diesel cars to make them much faster like Audi
Old 07-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I know I was just JK.
They have much more money than other makers so I know if they race F1 they will get good result so even win it.
for LeMans it was BMW that chicken out after all the win with the E46GT.
I just wish BMW do something with diesel cars to make them much faster like Audi
Yeah, I'm a little disappointed to be honest as I'd have loved to have seen Audi (or even Porsche) run an F1 team.

I'm agree it's also surprising that we haven't seen BMW invest in a racing diesel given Audi's performance. Mind you, BMW is doing well with the Rahal Letterman Lanigan team's M3 in the US, the RLL factory-backed M3 is competing hard with the Flying Lizard Porsche in the ALMS/GT2.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

In case anyone hasn't yet caught up (or in case I'm wrong and someone needs to correct me ), the 4 cylinder engines aren't happening just yet. FIA is going with 1.6L V6 by 2014.
Source: FIA confirms 1.6-liter turbo V6 F1 engines for 2014

I think BMW, as the staple of 6 cylinder engines everywhere - albeit of the inline configuration, not "V" - should definitely consider re-joining the race. It would be a great way to bring the M3 back to 6 cylinders...

PS and maybe they'll stick it to Honda, after all these years. Also, this kind of puts Infiniti to the forefront of the game, doesn't it?
Old 07-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

They where worried about the L4 turbo sounds, therefore they will be going for the V6 1,6l toy engines.

The BMW 1,5 turbo engine gave more than 1,000 hp some 20 years ago and they where very loud!

But Red Bull and Seb Vettel will take his second world titel this year,
he and the car (designed by A.N.) are the best by far.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:14 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

The FIA has just published further modifications to the regulations, which will now include the necessity for F1 cars to run entirely on electric power for the entire time they're in the pit lane.

Got it from this autoblog post.

With stories like the one alleging Bernie Ecclestone paid off a German banker for undervaluing some of his then potential purchases, it is hard to believe anything in this sport is real anymore. Crooks overran it. That said, I'm planning to watch the Nurburgring this Sunday all the same.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:51 PM
Contributors

check this great F1 video
Old 08-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Contributors

Hope there aren't too many of these on sunday.

Quick Reply: 2011 Formula 1 Season