Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

2010 Formula 1 stuff

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010 | 12:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by swajames
Particularly after his own team shafted him yesterday by given clear preferential treatment to Vettel who proved again today that talent is nothing without a cool head to make the most of it...

Webber's post race comment on the team radio as he was driving back to the pit was a classic - "not bad for a number two driver."
That was an absolute classic!

Good racing yesterday with a number of the quicker drivers finding themselves further back in the pack and having to fight their way forward, e.g. Button, Alonso and Vettel.
Button's 14th to 4th drive was not bad!
Alonso could have done better, but really misjudged that "cutting the corner" incident; I would have expected his team to advise him to let Kubica pass him again to avoid the stop and go. But hey, the Spanish already have enough to be happy about
Old 07-12-2010 | 12:42 AM
Contributors

Webber's post race comment on the team radio as he was driving back to the pit was a classic - "not bad for a number two driver."
I bet he'd been thinking of just what to say for the last 20 laps of the race. Christian Horner's response was quite biting back to him though ... "maybe now you can finally smile" (or something like that).

Particularly after his own team shafted him yesterday by given clear preferential treatment to Vettel who proved again today that talent is nothing without a cool head to make the most of it...
I come down on the side of the team on this one. It wasn't "Webber's front wing" that they took off. The newer wing had been tried on both cars during practice so they could both have a go with it. It's just a coincidence that Webber had it on his car on the last practice before qualifying. When the decision had to be made of who gets the newer and better wing for actual qualifying and the race, it was a coin toss. One of them was going to be disappointed. I bet if Mark Webber had been given it, he wouldn't have been saying "how unfair to Seb that he can't have it, this is favouritism". Of course not. The team could only give it to one of them and they made the completely sensible choice to give it to the one with the most points and the most chance of winning the championship at that time. If such a decision is forced on them at Hockenheim in two weeks, it would go Webbers way I'm sure.

Originally Posted by xBMWx
Alonso could have done better, but really misjudged that "cutting the corner" incident; I would have expected his team to advise him to let Kubica pass him again to avoid the stop and go. But hey, the Spanish already have enough to be happy about
He shouldn't have even needed the team to advise him of that. He's been racing long enough and seen enough penalties given to do it himself. Yes he had no choice to avoid a crash to cut the corner, but in doing so he gained a place and had to give it back. It was Alonso that put himself in that position. You can do that going into any corner - put yourself into the part of the driving line where your opponent will come towards you and you have to therefore cut the corner. Kubica said, as he was limping back to the pits, that his team had told him that Alonso was being told to let him past. So that was the first penalty that had been imposed on Alonso. When they realized that was no longer possible, they had to go to the next possible penalty which was a drive-thru. The expectation being that he'd lose a couple of places from that. I think that once the safety car came out, the stewards should have rethunk their penalty as it would have put Alonso almost at the back due to the cars all being bunched up now. They could have said we'll knock 10 seconds (or 2 places) off your final result instead. They're allowed to change their mind - they'd already done it once.
Old 07-12-2010 | 11:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by DD_545i
1) I come down on the side of the team on this one. It wasn't "Webber's front wing" that they took off. The newer wing had been tried on both cars during practice so they could both have a go with it. It's just a coincidence that Webber had it on his car on the last practice before qualifying. When the decision had to be made of who gets the newer and better wing for actual qualifying and the race, it was a coin toss. One of them was going to be disappointed.........The team could only give it to one of them and they made the completely sensible choice to give it to the one with the most points and the most chance of winning the championship at that time. If such a decision is forced on them at Hockenheim in two weeks, it would go Webbers way I'm sure.

2) He shouldn't have even needed the team to advise him of that. He's been racing long enough and seen enough penalties given to do it himself.
1) Not correct, both cars had the new front wing, but Vettel's was broken in the final practice. The team made the decision to remove the new wing from Webber's car and give it to Vettel. The second part of your statement is the reason RedBull gave for the switch.

2) +1 Spot on.
Old 07-12-2010 | 12:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MiamiPhill
both cars had the new front wing, but Vettel's was broken in the final practice. The team made the decision to remove the new wing from Webber's car and give it to Vettel.
Ohhhhh. I wasn't aware of that. Wasn't paying enough attention during the qualifying show I'd understood that they only brought one of the new types to try out. With this new info, I'm more convinced that Webber had more reason to be upset. It still makes logical sense they made the decision they did, but Webber certainly had very good reason to be pissed. Yep, I'd have made that "second driver" comment too in his position
Old 07-12-2010 | 07:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton hit the road to Silverstone in a VW Bus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8_2P...embedded#at=88
Old 07-13-2010 | 10:50 PM
Contributors

Amusing take on the Red Bull vs Webber controversy. The site appears to be a UK version of theonion.com.
Old 07-14-2010 | 01:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Amusing take on the Red Bull vs Webber controversy. The site appears to be a UK version of theonion.com.
LMAO very amusing
Old 07-14-2010 | 07:01 AM
Contributors

An interesting article with more behind the scenes info about the silverstone race and how Brawn was nearly sold to Lotus last year.
Old 07-15-2010 | 11:43 AM
Contributors

Singapore in Formula 1 style

Old 07-17-2010 | 11:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by MiamiPhill
Senna is back, now it's Chandhok's turn.

Quick Reply: 2010 Formula 1 stuff