Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

2010 Formula 1 stuff

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by DD_545i
I wish the regulations were less strict. I'd quite like to see the cars and performance these teams could bring to the track if they weren't regulated so strictly. There'd be dynamically adjustable rear-wings to give downforce when it's needed, traction control, dynamic stability control, turbos, superchargers, air-brakes (like on the SLR and Veyron), radar for detecting other cars trying to sneak down the inside. It'd be a fantastic display of technology. It used to be the case that F1 invented tech that filtered down to road cars but we've seen the end of that era now. On the other hand though, it was less regulation like that which led to the Schumacher era where his Ferrari was way beyond the rest of the pack in ability. Sure he was the best driver at the time, but he couldn't have kept up with those Ferraris if he'd been in the second or third best car. When it comes to comparing drivers abilities, I'd quite like to see a one-make series where you really get to see who's the best driver. Or maybe I don't know what the hell I want.
Yep. every year we see a raft of rule changes supposedly aimed at making the sport more exciting and making the races less of a procession, yet each year seems to bring little more than the last in terms of passing, real wheel-to-wheel racing and true on-track excitement. This year seems to be no exception. I also believe F1 has lost something insofar as the cars are clearly no longer the very best that the engineers can build - they are simply the engineers best attempt at being competitive within an otherwise restrictive framework. It's no surprise that the best F1 drivers tend to be those that excelled in the one-make series (or identical spec series) such as GP2 and the like. Frankly, I think the teams blew their best opportunity in years when they didn't have the balls to break away from the FIA a year or so back when they threatened to do so. The only way to reverse the decline is to take the shackles off, let the cars be the very best that they can be, get rid of the underfunded non-competitive teams but, most importantly, hand control of the sport to the manufacturers, and not the FIA.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

1st Fri. Practice; Round. 2.......Australia http://www.justin.tv/kinggink#r=ocgiXtQ~
Old 03-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Very exciting race today....rain always stir things up!

Round 2 Australian GP Results:

1. Jenson Button................McLaren-Mercedes
2. Robert Kubica................Renault
3. Felipe Massa..................Ferrari

4. Fernando Alonso................Ferrari
5. Nico Rosberg....................Mercedes GP
6. Lewis Hamilton.................McLaren-Mercedes
7. Vitantonio Liuzzi................Force India-Mercedes
8. Rubens Barrichello.............Williams-Cosworth
9. Mark Webber...................Red Bull-Renault
10.Michael Schumacher.........Mercedes GP
Old 03-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Much more fun to watch than last week.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

There's an F1 app just released today for the iPad. Imagine being able to watch the race with this:

These are all real time, the app uses official timing data. Just wow....
Old 04-03-2010, 07:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames
There's an F1 app just released today for the iPad. Imagine being able to watch the race with this:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=KKkZaRPY3uo

I'm trying to think of something more boring than that app but I'm struggling.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Contributors

I'm trying to think of something more boring than that app but I'm struggling.
Easy. Your predictable posts on anything Apple-related

Seeing as you won't drop the coin for things like an iPad it's kind of moot for you anyway...

It is, rather obviously, something you would use while watching the race live

And yes, it isn't available for your Archos video player or your Samsung MP3 player
Old 04-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Contributors

Easy. Your predictable posts on anything Apple-related

Seeing as you won't drop the coin for things like an iPad it's kind of moot for you anyway...

It is, rather obviously, something you would use while watching the race live

And yes, it isn't available for your Archos video player or your Samsung MP3 player
I admit if there was one that worked on my Google Nexus One I'd get it

I'd actually quite like to use it tomorrow, I'll be out when the race is on and will find it difficult to avoid knowing the result before I get home :thumbsdown:

I still don't get why you think I'm a cheapo that won't pay coin for good tech just because I think everything Apple makes is a heap 'o turd that I wouldn't want if they gave them away free.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:05 AM
lim
Senior Members

My Ride: e60

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=KKkZaRPY3uo

WOW! watching this with the dvr recorded f1 race on speed hd == win
Old 04-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Contributors

I admit if there was one that worked on my Google Nexus One I'd get it

I'd actually quite like to use it tomorrow, I'll be out when the race is on and will find it difficult to avoid knowing the result before I get home :thumbsdown:

I still don't get why you think I'm a cheapo that won't pay coin for good tech just because I think everything Apple makes is a heap 'o turd that I wouldn't want if they gave them away free.

As for your last comment, you make that argument yourself better than I ever could. "Heap o'turd"? "...even if they gave them away for free"..? Is that really the best you could come up with? Apple has already won, DD. They dominate this space. And I will tell you why. They get what you don't. It is all about content and the seamless delivery of that content.

Flurry is a research firm monitoring mobile app development. According to their latest report, issued just this week, 89% of mobile applications in development today are for the Apple platform, 10% for Android (this has dropped from 18%) and 1% for the others.

As a software guy yourself, I'm surprised you don't appreciate something that's facilitated a return to the heyday of the 1980's where individuals could create something that could change the world. Apple has brought those days back.

The game is already over, DD.

Quick Reply: 2010 Formula 1 stuff