Frequently Asked Questions Feel free to add to our FAQ answers or contribute new questions.

What is SMG?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 04:44 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW
Thumbs up

What is SMG?

The Sequential Manual Gearbox enables sporty, rapid gear changes through all six gears via the steering wheel paddles or selector lever, without the use of a clutch. Select Dynamic Driving Control (Sport button) for faster engine response and even more spontaneous driving enjoyment.

If you have any additions or comments please post them below for other forum members and web site visitors to read.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

If you are ordering a car and are not sure if you should get the SMG transmission, the following information may be helpful in your decision:
  • A short test drive of any SMG car is not an accurate measure of how the car will feel over time. SMG's are entirely new and need to be driven in a way that is entirely different than what you are probably accustomed to. Most SMG owners learn over an extended time (30 days or longer) how to shift the car properly. It has a steep learning curve. Your brain needs time to "reprogram" the timing of everything, etc.

• Because the SMG has an "automatic mode," many people compare this choice to the Steptronic transmission. This comparison is not an equitable one. It is more equitable to compare the SMG to a traditional manual that has a clutch pedal. If you are traditionally a buyer of automatics because you do not like to shift, you may be disappointed with the SMG. If you are traditionally a buyer of manuals, you may find that the SMG far exceeds your expectations but only after owning it past the individual learning curve.

• In addition to upshifting, SMG's need to be downshifted by the driver (as opposed to allowing the SMG to downshift automatically because of impending strain on the drivetrain) to reach optimum performance and satisfaction. Just like driving a manual transmission, you need to keep the car in the proper gear relative to the vehicle's speed. The SMG will execute downshifts flawlessly by "blipping" the throttle to the required RPM before engaging the lower gear. In other words, it executes a perfect "heel and toe" downshift every time. This process prevents the car from becoming unbalanced and reduces the possibility of a loss-of-control situation. It's the downshifts that truly differentiate the SMG from both the traditional manual and the automatic transmission choices!
Old 08-08-2004, 02:49 AM
Super Moderator

Additional informaton on how the Sequential Manual Gearbox works, including a short video, can be found in the BMW Technology Guide.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

A few interesting threads regarding SMG have developed over some time. In the interest of assisting anyone who may have missed them (or someone who wants to read them again), the following links will help:

SMG information from TIS (thread that contains a great .pdf file from the BMW TIS!)

What type of transmission do you have?, Do you regret choosing a transmission? (poll and thread)

SMG or Full Manual?, Deciding between SMG or 6-speed manual

SMG / manual questions, A few questions about SMG

550 SMG or Manual ??

550i SMG

SMG tranny??
Old 10-13-2004, 07:52 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: -04 530D

Do anyone know VW/Audi's DSG system? It has two coaxial clutches and always two gears selected same time. Other clutch open and other close. Other have even and other od gears.

I thought that M5 SMG would be something like this, but when if I look pictures of clutch it has "normal" pressure assebly/plate/flywheel. So this means that all inteligence is in box it self, not in the clutch.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

The following article explains in some good detail how a sequential manual transmission works:

How Sequential Gearboxes Work

In the article, in the advantages section, it explains the differences between the SMG and automatic transmissions that have manual shift capability (tiptronic).
Old 12-17-2006, 07:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Black BMW 525i Touring

SMG comes with Launch Control, IMHO that by itself is enough reason to go for SMG....
Old 01-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Midget' post='368373' date='Dec 17 2006, 11:27 AM
SMG comes with Launch Control, IMHO that by itself is enough reason to go for SMG....
Oh man, oh man.

We just got an '06 550 with SMG. What great fun.

It works more leisurely at slower speeds and quickly at speed.

Like getting used to driving a stick, we're learning to drive with our feet, or in this case, foot again.

And, as others have said, "When you get tired of playing, just nudge the shift lever over to automatic.

On top of all that, we feel the look is a little edgy too: Mystic Blue Metallic with Shadowline trim and the Auburn interior and the Grey faux wood trim.

And, while it's noticably larger in the engine department than our '97 7 V-8 which gets 24.3 to 24.7 at speeds below 79 mph, the 550 is doing in the neighborhood of 27 mpg!

This SMG thing tho. . .

There's no turning back.

We like our e36 M3, we like our 740iL but this 550, which replaces our '98 528 is a new generation of BMW.

We think it has better road feel and feedback as well as better stick to the road secureness.

OK, it has the Sport Package, but the e36 has Stage III DINAN and the 740iL has Bilsteins.

We'd recommend the car to anyone who enjoys driving.

Best,

Bill
Ft. Worth
Old 02-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Jet Black, Grey, Sport, Cold W, Shades

Originally Posted by B2BMW' post='519412' date='Jan 17 2008, 08:53 PM
Oh man, oh man.

We just got an '06 550 with SMG. What great fun.

It works more leisurely at slower speeds and quickly at speed.

Like getting used to driving a stick, we're learning to drive with our feet, or in this case, foot again.

And, as others have said, "When you get tired of playing, just nudge the shift lever over to automatic.

On top of all that, we feel the look is a little edgy too: Mystic Blue Metallic with Shadowline trim and the Auburn interior and the Grey faux wood trim.

And, while it's noticably larger in the engine department than our '97 7 V-8 which gets 24.3 to 24.7 at speeds below 79 mph, the 550 is doing in the neighborhood of 27 mpg!

This SMG thing tho. . .

There's no turning back.

We like our e36 M3, we like our 740iL but this 550, which replaces our '98 528 is a new generation of BMW.

We think it has better road feel and feedback as well as better stick to the road secureness.

OK, it has the Sport Package, but the e36 has Stage III DINAN and the 740iL has Bilsteins.

We'd recommend the car to anyone who enjoys driving.

Best,

Bill
Ft. Worth
How do you like the SMG so far? I am shopping for a used 550 but most for sale have Steptronic.

Paul
Old 02-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by PAUL-E60' post='526513' date='Feb 2 2008, 11:27 PM
How do you like the SMG so far? I am shopping for a used 550 but most for sale have Steptronic.

Paul

I can assure you he loves it! Those who are willing to learn how to drive SMG properly 99% of the time end up loving it. If you like manual trannies and are willing to spend a few thousand miles learning the new way to drive you'll be fine. Its an awesome tranny believe us.

If you dont know how to drive manual and dont understand the basics of shift points then SMG isnt for you. Good luck in your search.

Quick Reply: What is SMG?