Frequently Asked Questions Feel free to add to our FAQ answers or contribute new questions.

What is Logic7?

Old 08-22-2005, 07:01 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

Originally Posted by soc_fans' date='Nov 16 2004, 07:51 AM
Regret for not getting the Logic7. ARGGHH!?
[snapback]56659[/snapback]
Is the Logic7 that much better? Is it worth $1800 bucks??? What I absolutely hate is the placement of the changer - deep inside the glove box. You CAN'T swap it/load it or do anything from the driver's side. You pretty much have to be out of the car or contort yourself on the passenger side to insert the cassette. Why can't it be on the dash like on the 7er?

Also, a car is about one of the worst listening environments there are with the road noise and all the other "noise generators" in a driving environment. Why would one buy a surround sound system that costs that much and put it in a car?

How about after-market systems - is that a viable option? Is there something comparable - with the cassette elsewhere - that can be retrofitted? I know, a cassette in the trunk is inaccessible from the driver's side, but....

Can someone convince me that the Logic7 is the way to go? I mean, it's the ONLY option other than the standard stereo and the one-disk-at-a-time load on the dash. Is the standard stereo that bad? Is it bad at all? Is it acceptable?

Thanks!

Santiago.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by santiago fonseca' date='Aug 22 2005, 11:01 AM
Is the Logic7 that much better?? Is it worth $1800 bucks???? What I absolutely hate is the placement of the changer - deep inside the glove box.? You CAN'T swap it/load it or do anything from the driver's side.? You pretty much have to be out of the car or contort yourself on the passenger side to insert the cassette.? Why can't it be on the dash like on the 7er?

Also, a car is about one of the worst listening environments there are with the road noise and all the other "noise generators" in a driving environment.? Why would one buy a surround sound system that costs that much and put it in a car?

How about after-market systems - is that a viable option?? Is there something comparable - with the cassette elsewhere - that can be retrofitted?? I know, a cassette in the trunk is inaccessible from the driver's side, but....

Can someone convince me that the Logic7 is the way to go?? I mean, it's the ONLY option other than the standard stereo and the one-disk-at-a-time load on the dash.? Is the standard stereo that bad?? Is it bad at all?? Is it acceptable?

Thanks!

Santiago.
[snapback]161957[/snapback]
Many of your questions do not yield clear, "yes or no" answers since discussing sound systems is a subjective topic that relies heavily on individual opinions.

That said, some extensive discussions and opinions can be found in the following threads:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=10845

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=10956

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=14774
Old 08-23-2005, 07:15 AM
New Members

My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 22 2005, 05:10 PM
[quote name='santiago fonseca' date='Aug 22 2005, 11:01 AM']Is the Logic7 that much better?? Is it worth $1800 bucks???? What I absolutely hate is the placement of the changer - deep inside the glove box.? You CAN'T swap it/load it or do anything from the driver's side.? You pretty much have to be out of the car or contort yourself on the passenger side to insert the cassette.? Why can't it be on the dash like on the 7er?

Also, a car is about one of the worst listening environments there are with the road noise and all the other "noise generators" in a driving environment.? Why would one buy a surround sound system that costs that much and put it in a car?

How about after-market systems - is that a viable option?? Is there something comparable - with the cassette elsewhere - that can be retrofitted?? I know, a cassette in the trunk is inaccessible from the driver's side, but....

Can someone convince me that the Logic7 is the way to go?? I mean, it's the ONLY option other than the standard stereo and the one-disk-at-a-time load on the dash.? Is the standard stereo that bad?? Is it bad at all?? Is it acceptable?

Thanks!

Santiago.
[snapback]161957[/snapback]
Many of your questions do not yield clear, "yes or no" answers since discussing sound systems is a subjective topic that relies heavily on individual opinions.

That said, some extensive discussions and opinions can be found in the following threads:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=10845

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=10956

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=14774
[snapback]161967[/snapback]
[/quote]

Rudy, I appreciate the links. I'll think about it. Hopefully I'll be able to test drive a car with it. You're right, I'll either like it or not care to pay that much for it. It's all subjective and I see most of you out there love it - but $1800 for a CD changer??? What else does it do?

About the pictures of your car. White is beautiful and it only cements the notion in my head that a light colored E60 shows off so much better than a dark one. There are many posts about color choices and as I commented one day, I was almost all set in ordering a blue (of some kind) or black until I saw two E60s, parked one behind the other on the street and I could see both from the side. One was black and the other silver - don't know which silver - and the silver showed so much more detail and contrast. The black one was beautiful as well, but it appeared as a single, fat, black mass without much definition. The silver on the other hand was so defined - the windows, the wheels/tires, the shark antenna, the satin trim (which is totally lost on the the dark-colored cars), etc. The silver car also looked longer and lower. The E60 looks fat in a dark color. I just have to see what interior/trim colors are "allowed" with silver so I can make up my mind.

I think I'll get one of the silver colors when the 550i comes out. I'm holding out for the 6 speed and here in Germany I can order all kinds of goodies right off the showroom.

Anyway, I'll seriously consider the Logic7, but is there an after-market alternative?

Regards,

S.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Thanks for the kind words about my car and color choice. Obviously, I agree!

In a couple of the links I gave you earlier, there were some posts from people who did a custom audio install on their cars. Merzbow is one member who did something custom but I can't remember the names of other members who took the plunge.

Hopefully, someone else can chime in to remind us who did an aftermarket install (or you could search the forum database, etc.).

Good luck!
Old 08-23-2005, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by santiago fonseca' date='Aug 23 2005, 05:15 PM
Hopefully I'll be able to test drive a car with it.?
[snapback]162418[/snapback]
You have to experience it yourself!

There is a good oportunity in September: IAA.
We have a little E60.net meet & greet and go to the Ring afterwards for a couple laps. You will be able to see all different options and the performance of the different engines...
Old 08-24-2005, 01:12 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Aug 23 2005, 09:03 PM
[quote name='santiago fonseca' date='Aug 23 2005, 05:15 PM'] Hopefully I'll be able to test drive a car with it.?
[snapback]162418[/snapback]
You have to experience it yourself!

There is a good oportunity in September: IAA.
We have a little E60.net meet & greet and go to the Ring afterwards for a couple laps. You will be able to see all different options and the performance of the different engines...
[snapback]162511[/snapback]
[/quote]

ICEMAN, tell me about the meet and greet at the IAA. I've been patiently waiting since 2003 for this year's show. I'm VERY interested about seeing all the different cars and options and stuff as you mention. Keep me up on it please. It's just around the corner in September. I may take a day off and go during the week as the weekends are a zoo.

I'm in Darmstadt, where are you? You can PM me if you wish. I am dealing with Pentagon Car Sales for my car's order.

Thanks!

Santiago
Old 03-22-2006, 02:00 PM
Members

My Ride: Due May 2006: 530d SE Touring, Automatic, Titanium Grey, beige leather comfort seats, light poplar wood trim, sports steering wheel, graduated tinted windscreen, panoramic sunroof, pro radio, logic 7, 6CD, visibility pack, storage compartment pack, adv aircon

As everyone says - the choice is subjecive - but I have test driven a 5 with the Logic7 and does sound fantastic.
I turned it way up to the point where you couldn't really listen any more and there was no distortion. Just pure sound. Not that I generally have it at such volumes, but it's nice to see how a system copes at high sound levels. The degree of clarity there is a good indicator as to the quality of the setup and with Logic7 it is still crystal clear.
The bass is also very well judged. I hate massive, thumping, unsubtle bass, Logic7 seemed just right.
I'm sure it can be set to head banging levels, but I didn't have time to get into that level of detail. Besides, I was having too much fun driving the car (fully loaded 535d).

I have always upgraded the stereo in my cars - not to silly levels - just putting in some decent Alpine stuff usually. But Logic7 blows all those out of the water, although it does cost about 3x what I normally spend.

I reckon it's worth it though, in a car of this quality.

I have also listened (less extensively) to the "normal" hi-fi upgrade (in an M5). Not bad at all, but not in the same league as Logic7 imho.

Standard setup, for a similarly short time, was OK. If you didn't know any better it would be fine, but......I'd already been seduced, and I'm a sucker for good sounds

Just my 2cw
Old 06-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

how do i know if a car has logic 7? I am looking in to a 530i individual and its a 2005 May production, does it say anywhere its logic 7?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Contributors

It should be noted that owners of the LCI (facelift) models who owned (or heard) pre-LCI cars with Logic 7 have reported a vast degredation in sound quality in the Logic 7 of facelift models. One forum member has fitted new door and parcel shelf speakers, noting an improvement. In some markets (such as the UK), BMW now offer the "BMW Individual Audio" option which is more expensive than the Logic 7 and replaces it as the best audio option for the car. I am sure this FAQ will be updated at some point to include further information, but thought this may be useful for people browsing the FAQs...
Old 09-05-2007, 05:58 AM
Senior Members

Have to experience it, and then your going to want it. Highly reccommended as a factory fitted.

E60BEEMER

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is Logic7?