"the ultimate passenger machine"

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
It turns out that my estimate of total US sales to date was actually overly generous.

BMWNA confirms that just 1143 GT have been sold in the US since launch, and also that US sales are indeed running behind BMWNA's expectations.

They do, however, confirm that global sales are a little ahead of expectations, although the bar appears to have been set relatively low as I already provided the global number through Q1 of 2010 in an earlier post.

Source?

Your dealer again?
Old 05-26-2010, 04:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by cotechia
Source?

Your dealer again?

No. Quotes attributed to BMWNA's CEO and BMWNA's Senior VP of Sales.

Numerous websites carried the story. Here's just one.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11005252...series-gt-with

Others carry additional quotes from Jim O'Donnell - the CEO of BMW NA - confirming that GT sales in the US were behind plan and failing to meet expectations.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:09 AM
Members

No. Quotes attributed to BMWNA's CEO and BMWNA's Senior VP of Sales.

Numerous websites carried the story. Here's just one.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11005252...series-gt-with

Others carry additional quotes from Jim O'Donnell - the CEO of BMW NA - confirming that GT sales in the US were behind plan and failing to meet expectations.

Clearly this unique, but highly profitable car segment will get crowded in time and offerings from other premium automakers are expected soon. The BMW 5 Series GT sales in North America have already exceeded the initial expectations and reports coming from Europe are just as encouraging.
quote per BimmerBlog re: Mercedes CLS Shooting Break Concept 5 Series GT competitor
Old 06-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Members

It turns out that my estimate of total US sales to date was actually overly generous.

BMWNA confirms that just 1143 GT have been sold in the US since launch, and also that US sales are indeed running behind BMWNA's expectations.

They do, however, confirm that global sales are a little ahead of expectations, although the bar appears to have been set relatively low as I already provided the global number through Q1 of 2010 in an earlier post.

The main market for this car was China anyway. So if the US is behind, but sales in the primary market are on target or "exceeding" expectations, its still a win. Not to mention the US market seems to be slow to respond to certain types a vehicles as well.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by car_fan
quote per BimmerBlog re: Mercedes CLS Shooting Break Concept 5 Series GT competitor
I'm more persuaded by BMW NA's CEO saying saying sales are weak and confiming only 1143 sales up to May 2010 than an unattributed and unsubstantiated quote on a blog... BMW's senior US leadership confirmed that sales have not met US expectations.

However you look at it, the 5GT has had a poor launch in the US.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

To me, the look of that car/SUV/whatchamacallit are an abomination and a total 180 by BMW from what I always considered to be its core mission -- making the best driving (non-exotic) cars in the world. I just can't get over how ugly it looks on the very rare occassions when I have seen one in the NYC area. Maybe it will make US buyers appreciate how much better a choice the wagon would be for 5 Series buyers needing more cargo space and maybe that will result in the F11, which I think is beautiful, coming to our shores.

Send the pig to the slaughterhouse.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:59 AM
Members

I'm more persuaded by BMW NA's CEO saying saying sales are weak and confiming only 1143 sales up to May 2010 than an unattributed and unsubstantiated quote on a blog... BMW's senior US leadership confirmed that sales have not met US expectations.

As I stated if BMW is ahead of the game overall (with GT Sales globally) - its still a win. I have seen some recent sales figures yet I haven't seen the numbers you posted substantied, outside of the weblink you provided, so IMHO those statements may be suspect as well.

Those of us who own GT's could care less if the US launch isn't on target yet as we are ultimately satisfied with our decisions to buy.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sdg1871
To me, the look of that car/SUV/whatchamacallit are an abomination and a total 180 by BMW from what I always considered to be its core mission -- making the best driving (non-exotic) cars in the world. I just can't get over how ugly it looks on the very rare occassions when I have seen one in the NYC area. Maybe it will make US buyers appreciate how much better a choice the wagon would be for 5 Series buyers needing more cargo space and maybe that will result in the F11, which I think is beautiful, coming to our shores.

There are many of us who skipped the E60 for the same reason, because we felt it was/is ugly and are happy to see it archived. Many of these same peoople are "now" coming back to BMW to consider the 5er because of the F10 and some fore the F07. However, I agree the F11 is a very nice looking car might be a consideration if it was offered here. Although from what I can tell there is no V8 being offered yet, and it still lacks the room and luxury of the F07.

I would consider a new or low mile CPO e60 M5 seeing as though there are huge discounts currently - and that would be "only" because of the N/A V10 which is arguably one of the best engines BMW has ever produced.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by car_fan
As I stated if BMW is ahead of the game overall (with GT Sales globally) - its still a win. I have seen some recent sales figures yet I haven't seen the numbers you posted substantied, outside of the weblink you provided, so IMHO those statements may be suspect as well.

Those of us who own GT's could care less if the US launch isn't on target yet as we are ultimately satisfied with our decisions to buy.
The numbers I provided came from an interview with the CEO and Senior VP of Sales for BMW North America. There were multiple sources that covered the interview and the story, some with transcripts. I posted just one. The numbers are genuine, as is the acknowledgement from BMW NA leadership that US sales have been poor.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sdg1871

Maybe it's time to start an online petition asking BMW to bring the F11 to NA!!!

Quick Reply: "the ultimate passenger machine"