F11 Touring Discussion Discussion about the touring version of the 5 series, also known as a wagon.

Impressions of my new 4-cyl turbo 528i Touring M-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 11:43 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I live in Tokyo, Japan and have been driving a 2006 6-cyl 530i (E61) for the past 4 years (bought it second hand). I have been quite satisfied with that car and was also pleased that it had a good trade-in value equivalent to $30000 despite of its age. Car prices are higher in Japan and the base price for a 528i Touring with M-Sport package is $96000, similar to the original price of the 530i, so the trade-in value after 6 years was still 1/3 of "new" value.

I just (Dec 2011) took delivery of my new 4-cyl 528i Touring M-Sport (F11) with additional extras like sunroof, optional interior wood trim, and 19-inch wheels worth an extra $12000. Both previous and new cars are carbon black metallic. For the untrained eye, many will never realise that I switched cars (which is actually one of my intentions).

Getting to drive the 4-cyl turbo car, I quickly dialled the suspension to SPORT PLUS since an earlier experience in an F10 535i running COMFORT and SPORT (but never SPORT PLUS) gave me a somewhat negative impression (a bit instability of suspension and vague steering response, although the engine was GREAT). In most ways I preferred the handling and steering response of my old E61 530i over the F10 535i that I test-drove (this was not an M-sport car).

Driving the new F11 528i Touring M-Sport (in SPORT PLUS) immediately convinced me they the suspension feels very stable and firm, while the (electric) steering does feel a bit more vague and lightweight as compared to my earlier E61. The 4-cyl turbo engine feels quick and agile with more torque and grunt from start, while I miss the 6-cyl "music". The next thing I had to get used to was the idling-stop function with the engine turning itself off at every red light, while coming to life again when lifting my foot from the brake pedal.

After driving the car for a day, I got used to the steering feel as well. My conclusion is that it is different without being outright bad. It is still possible I would have preferred the old hydraulic steering, while the advantages (in improved consumption and efficiency) of the new electrically activated steering probably outweighs its disadvantages.

Regarding engine power, I have already ordered the Kelleners Sport add-on tuning ECU that drastically increases torque and power (close to 300 hp), while I intend to use this power reserve sparingly and conservatively (especially until the car is "broken in"). I like that the Kelleners Sport ECU is easily pluggable and unpluggable like a "stealth device" which will be there only when I need it, and removed when nobody needs to know.

I also tried my new car in the ECO MODE which re-dials gear shift. throttle response, air conditioning etc to achieve the most economical consumption possible. Even though this makes the car outright dull, I can easily see situations where this mode will work well and make worthwhile savings. Whenever you simply need to move ahead in a relaxed manner when you are not in a hurry, the mode works well enough.

Honestly, with my own personality with a hang for quick and sporty response and a very firm suspension, I do not expect to use the ECO MODE too often, but I clearly respect what it attempts to do, so I may eventually end up using it on more occasions than I would have imagined.

After a couple of days with this new 4-cyl turbo 528i, I have basically found myself at ease with this car and I enjoy the way it drives. I have committed to drive it for the next 5 years, and I believe that this is a car that will make me happy every time I enter the cockpit.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Great review,

Shame that the hydraulic steering isn't available as an option...

They've put it in the M5 after all.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 -14

to the forum - great review!
Old 12-27-2011, 06:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Enjoyed the review. I have my eye on the 4-cyl turbo engine. I intend to drive the manual transmission M-Sport version of F10 and F30 to see which I like better. My current E60 has Active Steering, so I think electric steering will not be a major concern for me.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Originally Posted by vkhong
Enjoyed the review. I have my eye on the 4-cyl turbo engine. I intend to drive the manual transmission M-Sport version of F10 and F30 to see which I like better. My current E60 has Active Steering, so I think electric steering will not be a major concern for me.
Well, I would take the feedback and general feeling of the E60 Active Front Steering over the new electric power steering anytime. I know there isn't a lot of consensus there but I also preferred AFS over the regular hydraulic power steering in the E60.
AFS in the F10 might be the best way to go for you too then though it's a bit more extensive than in the E60...