Next Bmw M5 might get turbocharged v10

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 09 M5 (E60) Interlagos blue, Silverstone interior, with cold weather package. Adaptive Xenon headlamps and adaptive brake lights, hud, comfort access. Comfort seats, basically fully loaded.

I just came across this very vital piece of info...
The Bavarian automaker, BMW, is working hard in order to get the next generation of everyone?s favorite high-performance sports sedan, the M5, ready for an unveiling sometime late in 2011. We have just learned a few new details about the future four door, some very interesting ones at that.

First, the F10 BMW M5 will incorporate an power regeneration unit similar to the KERS system found in the Formula 1 race cars that will help the to improve fuel economy as well as give the future M car an electric boost that the driver can request with the touch of a button, just like the F1 car. Similar to GM displacement on demand system, the BMW?s power plant will also be able to shut down a number of cylinders while driving at a relaxed pace around town and use the electric motor for a slight assist.

The next big story is the power plant. The 2011 M5 will feature a design similar to the twin-scroll turbocharged V8 engine found in the X5M/X6M. This is the forward thinking V8 that places the compressors inside the V, making for a much more compact layout for the engine. The big new is that in order to create a V10, two more cylinders must be grafted onto the existing block. The BMW built engines will then be mated to either a dual-clutch gearbox (DCT) or a more advanced sequential manual gearbox (SMG), but no matter how they are shifted, there will be 8 gears for each. The new M5 is shaping up to be an even more powerful replacement for the already impressive 500+ HP M5.

source :http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...0-ar75893.html
Old 01-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

WOW! The engine sounds good! but still not a fan of the looks of the F10. we'll see how good they can make the M5 look
Old 01-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
WOW! The engine sounds good! but still not a fan of the looks of the F10. we'll see how good they can make the M5 look

Ive gotta start saving my money...
Old 01-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Contributors

This article was from June of 2009. The motor is definitely NOT a V10.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by poleposition
This article was from June of 2009. The motor is definitely NOT a V10.
Oh haha boring then...
Old 01-22-2011, 06:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 M5 (E60) Interlagos blue, Silverstone interior, with cold weather package. Adaptive Xenon headlamps and adaptive brake lights, hud, comfort access. Comfort seats, basically fully loaded.

what if what if, and i only hope, we are in for a surprise..... If the next m5 is not a v10, i am def moving onto some exotic like a lambo or something... then bye bye to bm... sorry.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Shezmon
what if what if, and i only hope, we are in for a surprise..... If the next m5 is not a v10, i am def moving onto some exotic like a lambo or something... then bye bye to bm... sorry.
The F10 M5 will be powered by a tweaked version of the TTV8 that sits in the X5M and X6M
Old 01-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 550i M Sport

I just came across this very vital piece of info...
The Bavarian automaker, BMW, is working hard in order to get the next generation of everyone?s favorite high-performance sports sedan, the M5, ready for an unveiling sometime late in 2011. We have just learned a few new details about the future four door, some very interesting ones at that.

First, the F10 BMW M5 will incorporate an power regeneration unit similar to the KERS system found in the Formula 1 race cars that will help the to improve fuel economy as well as give the future M car an electric boost that the driver can request with the touch of a button, just like the F1 car. Similar to GM displacement on demand system, the BMW?s power plant will also be able to shut down a number of cylinders while driving at a relaxed pace around town and use the electric motor for a slight assist.

The next big story is the power plant. The 2011 M5 will feature a design similar to the twin-scroll turbocharged V8 engine found in the X5M/X6M. This is the forward thinking V8 that places the compressors inside the V, making for a much more compact layout for the engine. The big new is that in order to create a V10, two more cylinders must be grafted onto the existing block. The BMW built engines will then be mated to either a dual-clutch gearbox (DCT) or a more advanced sequential manual gearbox (SMG), but no matter how they are shifted, there will be 8 gears for each. The new M5 is shaping up to be an even more powerful replacement for the already impressive 500+ HP M5.

source :http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...0-ar75893.html
V8 only I am afraid V10 is "History'.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:16 AM
Senior Members

Yup its gonna be producing 578hp... With a lil minor addon's our e60 m5 can push that much on the crank with ease.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:33 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Yup its gonna be producing 578hp... With a lil minor addon's our e60 m5 can push that much on the crank with ease.

Problem is the F10 M5 will have TT's - which means if you have an E60 M5 you'll have to spend easily triple to match the HP potential (not to mention torque) of the TT V-8. Yes, there are addon's for the E60's V-10, thing is look at what Dinan did for the F10 550 - 1 tune = 95HP boost and gobs more torque. While I love the V-10, it has always lacked the necessary torque to truly compete with other supercars, 384 lbft? really? My old Jeep SRT-8 had close to 600 lbft.

Quick Reply: Next Bmw M5 might get turbocharged v10