Next Bmw M5 might get turbocharged v10

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnbmwx6
Stupid................... .................................... YOU ARE....................................by the comments you make ............................. please if you have nothing "Constructive to say" BUTTON IT".
LOL
Old 02-03-2011, 12:35 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 550i M Sport

Originally Posted by IndyRedBeast
Very nicely explained! i hate when people compare regular bimmers to ///M's. There is no way the new f10 550i will beat the E60 M5. Test drive one and see for your self. I can race 550i's all day for pinks lol anyone?
Try that in the UK where 0-75 MPH is about as fast as you can go without one eye up your A*se looking for the old bill.
The E60 M5 is good when pushed, BUT general get up and go.............550i M Sport all the way.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 550i M Sport

Originally Posted by IndyRedBeast
LOL
Having lots of Torque to me means "Drivability", day to day Grunt from tick over.
High revs here mean To much attention which equates too much Police involvement :thumbsdown:
So many high revving cars ( + noise) get pulled here it makes you sick.

M5 for me was "Lame til 4.5K + then manic", far too much time spent LAME here in the UK.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Snappy little laymen f*cking with big ol' diamond again, huh? Let's get a new punching bag up in here, y'all - this one's already full of douche :thumbsdown:

Craziest thing is, he's not bad in the essence of what he says sometimes, but this Dr. House attitude just makes people wanna stomp him out, like he's an Egyptian guard on a camel rushing the crowd... you know what I mean?

Speaking of torque, I'm thinking for my next daily driver, to get a slightly used X5 3.0d and chip it. Supposedly, that engine can be wrung to produce 500hp and 500ft-lb (approximately, don't remember the exact figures). How awesome would that be? A "budget" X5 M I've gotta check on this, but maybe, in a year-year in a half - if all is going well etc - when I'm ready to sell/trade my 530, it'll be between X5 diesel and an F10 535 Xdrive M sport...

Anyway, diamond for president NOOOOOOOT
Old 02-03-2011, 05:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M-Sport xDrive
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by johnbmwx6
Having lots of Torque to me means "Drivability", day to day Grunt from tick over.
High revs here mean To much attention which equates too much Police involvement :thumbsdown:
So many high revving cars ( + noise) get pulled here it makes you sick.
+1.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:54 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Bottom line for Diamond, and where his argument demonstrates his stupidity:

Ganassi swept the Rolex Daytona in BMW powered cars, however, they were using the engine from the E39 M5 (V-8), not the V-10. Even more telling is the Turner motorsports entry, a current M6, which ALSO used the V-8 from the E39 M5 and not the V-10. The V-10 is a beast for sure, but even BMW is learning the overall performance of the V-8 is superior - racing doesn't lie
Old 02-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Hahahaha! I'm rarely on here anymore, but these threads are great.

Diamond/sleepyca31/redwhiteblue - Keep up the great work!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Diamond
Why are regulars here so stupid about knowing anything about basic car 101?

Engine torque means NOTHING. Why dont you do some reading. Wheel torque is all that matters and wheel torque is derived from engine torque, engine RPM's and gearing. the e60 uses high RPM's and less engine torque to achieve the torque at the wheels of a supercar. The TT cars use more engine torque and less RPM's to achieve wheel torque. They all use a combination of gearing that completely dictates actual wheel torque.

Ferrari has always had high hp, high RPM, lower torque engines. Ferraris typically dont have more than 400 ft pounds and they are not a supercar.

Its just not even worth explaining anymore. For people that spend so much time here to know so little about what makes 4 wheels turn-why dont you spend a fraction of your time spent here, reading some basics instead. Pitiful. Engine torque numbers mean nothing. Same as the 335 folks saying they are faster than m3s since they have more torque. More engine torque doesnt mean more torque at the wheels which is ALL that matters.

so sad some of you folks like PJ
In case any "regulars" want to learn more "basic car 101", I found a thread with a video of Diamond explaining some interesting transmission tech:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/110...ential-sticky/

(Keep in mind that Diamond is our resident transmission expert -- he gave us the 20 second reset thread -- so pay close attention to what he says because he knows what he's talking about!)
Old 02-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by pjinca
Bottom line for Diamond, and where his argument demonstrates his stupidity:

Ganassi swept the Rolex Daytona in BMW powered cars, however, they were using the engine from the E39 M5 (V-8), not the V-10. Even more telling is the Turner motorsports entry, a current M6, which ALSO used the V-8 from the E39 M5 and not the V-10. The V-10 is a beast for sure, but even BMW is learning the overall performance of the V-8 is superior - racing doesn't lie
That might be true but it was actually class rules that forced BMW to use the V8's not the fact they are better.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Rudy
In case any "regulars" want to learn more "basic car 101", I found a thread with a video of Diamond explaining some interesting transmission tech:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/110...ential-sticky/

(Keep in mind that Diamond is our resident transmission expert -- he gave us the 20 second reset thread -- so pay close attention to what he says because he knows what he's talking about!)

Quick Reply: Next Bmw M5 might get turbocharged v10