F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

"It would be a great Mercedes"

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:06 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read the latest issue of Automobile Magazine (the one with the Camero vert on the cover) on a long plane ride home yesterday and they featured a one-page review of the F10 535i.

The review was typical of what we have read many times already: they liked nearly every aspect of the new 5 series including improved good looks; high-quality interior that is comfortable and user-friendly; sublime ride and handling that belies its size and weight; and a super-sweet engine.

But once again they conclude that the sum of the parts somehow does not add up. One editor stated that he "really likes this car but doesn't want one." Too much 7 series and not enough 3 series. And they anchored with the Mercedes knock-out punch. Ouch.

Were the lads in Munich aiming to build a nice Mercedes? I hope not. Yes, the F10 is selling well and I expect sales to continue to be strong ... well, good for BMW. But as many have lamented here, what's a driving enthusiast to do?
Old 02-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

want to know what I decided I went with "more 3 series"

It's pretty obvious the BMW engineers and designers went after a larger target demographic with the f10, leaving some current 5 series owners a bit confused, I do think BMW did accomplish what they intended to do with the F10...

To each his own....
Old 02-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Time to get a panamera instead...
Old 02-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Time to get a panamera instead...
....for a lot more $$$

(Panamera is a great car but for the same cost as a loaded 550i, you could only get a V6)
Old 02-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
It's pretty obvious the BMW engineers and designers went after a larger target demographic with the f10, leaving some current 5 series owners a bit confused, I do think BMW did accomplish what they intended to do with the F10...
^this
Old 02-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

There are great cars that out-run, out-handle and out-pace ANYTHING with a BMW badge for 40-50K. Lotus Elise comes to mind as one, but okay - it isn't exactly "practical". How about an STi or EVO? They are blindingly quick, handle WAY better, cost MUCH less. Yes, they aren't as "glamorous", but at some point most people will say "who cares!" and buy the better-engineered car. And I BET that both - EVO and STi come with an iPod/iPhone adapter STANDARD!!! With $30-40 grand left for mods, you can let loose on it and make it a Ferrari killer! Who the EF will even LOOK at an F10 - other than through the low-budget rearview mirror of his/her real performance car.

I don't think it was a "punch below the belt" - it was a fair assessment of the brand that most of us here used to regard as one for driving enthusiasts. I'm beginning to realize how much it is just pure marketing BS now...
Old 02-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by v_therussian
There are great cars that out-run, out-handle and out-pace ANYTHING with a BMW badge for 40-50K. Lotus Elise comes to mind as one, but okay - it isn't exactly "practical". How about an STi or EVO? They are blindingly quick, handle WAY better, cost MUCH less. Yes, they aren't as "glamorous", but at some point most people will say "who cares!" and buy the better-engineered car. And I BET that both - EVO and STi come with an iPod/iPhone adapter STANDARD!!! With $30-40 grand left for mods, you can let loose on it and make it a Ferrari killer! Who the EF will even LOOK at an F10 - other than through the low-budget rearview mirror of his/her real performance car.

I don't think it was a "punch below the belt" - it was a fair assessment of the brand that most of us here used to regard as one for driving enthusiasts. I'm beginning to realize how much it is just pure marketing BS now...

It's not just EVO's and STi's...you can include Camaro SS, Mustang GT, Challenger R/T, Charger R/Tor even a base Corvette to that list that can all run with- or out-run a BMW for much less $$$. But those aren't luxury cars. Those cars are all about engines....everything else is an after-thought. BMW is first and foremost a luxury carmaker. They cater to a different demographic than those who shop ricer cars like the EVO and STi's. Have you ever looked at the interior of these ricer cars?....they may have a lot of gadgets but they're cheap! The build material and ride quality reflect as such, too. But if those are your priorities, then more power to you.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

It seems like BMW sold out made the car larger and softer.

It is now the ultimate car for the average consumer with money.

I just hope that they make the 3 a little bigger so I can replace me E61 with it. Do you think they import a estate version of the new 3?
Old 02-21-2011, 06:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Petes550i
It's not just EVO's and STi's...you can include Camaro SS, Mustang GT, Challenger R/T, Charger R/Tor even a base Corvette to that list that can all run with- or out-run a BMW for much less $$$. But those aren't luxury cars. Those cars are all about engines....everything else is an after-thought. BMW is first and foremost a luxury carmaker. They cater to a different demographic than those who shop ricer cars like the EVO and STi's. Have you ever looked at the interior of these ricer cars?....they may have a lot of gadgets but they're cheap! The build material and ride quality reflect as such, too. But if those are your priorities, then more power to you.
If you are looming for luxury and performance that will blow the doors off any E60' there is always the Caddy CTS-V. Interior is not as nice as BMW but acceptable.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by V70Cat
It seems like BMW sold out made the car larger and softer.

It is now the ultimate car for the average consumer with money.

I just hope that they make the 3 a little bigger so I can replace me E61 with it. Do you think they import a estate version of the new 3?
I agree. I believe that that is the consumer that BMW was targeting for the F10. And I think that BMW hit that target.

Quick Reply: "It would be a great Mercedes"