F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Winter wheels and tires for 550i

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wallie_17
Who does manufacture BMW wheels?
Ronal makes a lot of current F10 BMW wheels. BBS is amazing; don't listen to the salesperson. OEM will on par with BBS.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I just did a quick check with the Tire Rack and they said the only 17" wheel that fits a 550i sport package (no x-Drive) is the Rial Salerno:

http://www.tirerack....=Silver+Painted

Winter wheels and tires for 550i-rial_salerno_s_ci3_l.jpg
Winter wheels and tires for 550i-rial_salerno_s_ci1_l.jpg
Winter wheels and tires for 550i-rial_salerno_s_ci2_l.jpg

The guy said that it's doubtful that my older 17" wheels will fit because the Rials above have the most clearance of any 17" wheels they sell so it's likely that they just make it, etc. (I couldn't remember the exact model number of the wheels I currently have so the Tire Rack guy couldn't tell me much more. If I end up finding the model number, I can call back and find out for sure.)

(Ironically, as I type this, I'm hearing a Tire Rack advertisement on Pandora... talk about targeted marketing hitting the bullseye! )
Old 10-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

I thought I saw some OZ 18" wheels from Tire Rack that might work on the 550i. It looks ok. I may end up getting these and some Dunlop Wintersport M3's. I want to avoid 17's if at all possible. (I know it's only for winter but they look way too small on the F10).
Old 10-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

My set will come home tomorrow...

Let the fu**ing winter come - but hold on...

...the DEFA Heating System is unavailable until mid Nov.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by Ricracing
My set will come home tomorrow...

Let the fu**ing winter come - but hold on...

...the DEFA Heating System is unavailable until mid Nov.

Is it snowing in Finland already?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Petes550i
It can't be?
Here in northern Sweden the trees are full of autumn leaves and from oct 1st it's legal to put studded tires on your car if you suspect winter roads where you plan to go.
There might be some snow in the mountains, about 4hrs drive from where I live. Here by the coast it's +12C and overcast... :thumbsdown:
My Nokian studded tires are at the tireshop waiting for the cold weather to arrive.
I didn't get any special winter rims. I'm using same rims as for my summer tires and when the rubber is worn out I'll get new and bigger summer wheels and make my current rims permanent as winter wheels.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hell no, I usually change to winter wheels in late Nov, but up North
the ski centers have already opened their season - with artificial snow.

But the heater system is soon needed even here in the southern Finland
do to very cold and damp nights.

PS. I don't get why the winter wheels would be "cheep" and not fine OEM's?
The OEM rims are made with very good quality and they survive the salty roads very well.
I drive my car 4,5 - 5 months every year with winter wheels and even if
it is very dark, I want my car to look great all 12 months of the year.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Members

I thought I saw some OZ 18" wheels from Tire Rack that might work on the 550i. It looks ok. I may end up getting these and some Dunlop Wintersport M3's. I want to avoid 17's if at all possible. (I know it's only for winter but they look way too small on the F10).
I read your post about the 18" OZ wheels from tire rack. I saw the same ones. They're like 140 bucks (or something like that) I just purchased an '11 550 with the sports package and for some reason there are no more 18" tires/wheels in Germany (in the country that builds BMWs...really?????) I got a quote from a local place for almost 4K (19") I spoke to a guy who knows about BMWs and told him about the tire rack site and he said that if the wheel isn't right and you're in deep snow it could mess up the brakes so i have to get 19". I want to match the 18" OZ wheels with the Dunlop M3 wheels but want to be sure they will definitely fit bc shipping them here and then finding out they don't fit and having to ship back will be a hassle. Any advice?
Thanks
Old 11-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ramstein1
I read your post about the 18" OZ wheels from tire rack. I saw the same ones. They're like 140 bucks (or something like that) I just purchased an '11 550 with the sports package and for some reason there are no more 18" tires/wheels in Germany (in the country that builds BMWs...really?????) I got a quote from a local place for almost 4K (19") I spoke to a guy who knows about BMWs and told him about the tire rack site and he said that if the wheel isn't right and you're in deep snow it could mess up the brakes so i have to get 19". I want to match the 18" OZ wheels with the Dunlop M3 wheels but want to be sure they will definitely fit bc shipping them here and then finding out they don't fit and having to ship back will be a hassle. Any advice?
Thanks
I ended up buying the 18" Dunlop Wintersport 3D Runflats and 18" Rial Como's (which are made in Germany) from Tire Rack for less than $2K. Tire Rack is a very reputable company and I've used them for years without any problems. If you use their online ordering guide properly for your car, it should be fine. In my opinion, 19" is too big for winter use.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:02 AM
Members

I ended up buying the 18" Dunlop Wintersport 3D Runflats and 18" Rial Como's (which are made in Germany) from Tire Rack for less than $2K. Tire Rack is a very reputable company and I've used them for years without any problems. If you use their online ordering guide properly for your car, it should be fine. In my opinion, 19" is too big for winter use.
I appreciate the info and agree that 19" are too big for winter driving. I just finshed on tire rack and will go with the following:
4 Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 245/45-18
4 Moda eb1 (with anthracite accent) Figure it would look best since the car is Space Grey
Do I need to add the TPMS as well? What do you think? The snow doesn't too get bad in this part of Germany but I may take the car when skiing so I might encounter some deep snow. By the way does everybody list their previous BMWs? I'm on my third with a soon to be fourth.

Quick Reply: Winter wheels and tires for 550i