F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Wife Likes the F10 Looks . . . but I'm on the Fence

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by LeuS
You're right, that's what happens to me, I find the F10 too boring, as boring as the new 7 series, and as common as the 07 3 series. Personally, I loved the E60 since the first time I saw it. I used to have a 2002 3 series coupe and the E60 was the perfect upgrade.

It may be more BMW material, I'm just not feeling the F10, it's not an evolution from the E60.
No one has shown me how it's an evolution from the e39 or before and not the e60. Are we calling "conservative BMW" styling an evolution? When some one speaks of evolution, I think the 911 is the perfect example. For 40+ years with the same body styling . . .
Old 09-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
No one has shown me how it's an evolution from the e39 or before and not the e60. Are we calling "conservative BMW" styling an evolution? When some one speaks of evolution, I think the 911 is the perfect example. For 40+ years with the same body styling . . .

Design-wise, the F10 is more of an evolution of the E34 and E39, much less so from the E60 which was a total departure from all previous BMW's.

Some may call the F10 design "conservative" but really, it's just going back to what BMW's used to look like before Bangle came in and shook things up.

Personally, I love the F10 design much more so than when I had my 545i. I find the F10 design to be sleeker, more elegant, and more of what a proper BMW should look like. It's totally European inside and out and I like that. The E60 to me was just too Asian...esp. the front end and the headlights.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by Petes550i
The F10 has only been out for less than 3 months.....Way too early to judge. That being said, there wasn't exactly a "stampede" of people rushing out to buy the E60 during the first initial months of introduction. The E60 may have turned out to be a tremendous success in terms of sales, but it was also one of the most controversial BMW models ever.....when it first came out, it was almost universally hated by both the press and BMW loyalists. The Bangle design was responsible for lots of loyal BMW customers jumping ship and migrating over to MB or Japanese imports. (I personally know several friends of mine who used to be BMW enthusiasts who jumped ship because of Bangle). It took years for the public and the press to come to terms with the design and BMW had to make a myriad of tweaks to the car along the way to make it all work. The E60 was no overnight success....it was a huge gamble for BMW and they were very lucky it all came out well in the end.

The F10 is a more conservative design...it recalls the design elements from the E34 and E39. Those well-accustomed to the Bangle design may think it's boring but the F10 is actually more BMW-looking than the E60 ever did. (The E60 was actually described by the press as looking more "Japanese" than anything BMW ever produced up to that point).

I think your a bit harsh on the E60 history. Not sure many loyalists jumped ship at all. Did they switch to G35s, M35s and GS350s in droves? No way and BMW sales were stellar. Most luxury car manufacturers had a boom time as the high end car market surged. I'd wager the Asian brand mainly garnered Honda/Toyota/Nissan buyers moving up.

As you said, time will tell what the F10 achieves and many tests are saying the new 5er went elsewhere (more luxury/techo).

The E60, for most of its sales life, was the benchmark in the sports sedan segment, like its forerunners. Namely, it was the drivers car of choice, despite the I-drive and the stark interior. BTW. Way too much was made of Idrive. It was the 7 series that faced the real criticism, as it was the first Bangle design to hit the market (and yes I know he wasn't penning them). I loved the E60 from first sight.

It will be intersting to see how things go, and BMW might be going after the Asian brands and assuming the so-called BMW loyalists stay put and buy the bigger, heavier and more plush 5er (not what they necessarily want). And many will because of car brand loyality. But overall, the hardcore BMW driver will be at first dissappointed, noting the weight gain and no advance on the sport side of things. This is what we are seeing the many of threads. Too bad for some. But who are you, Yankee Doodle. Hell,the Chinese buyer is important to BMW longterm.

That said, IMHO the day's of the pure German sports sedan are over. Luxury, features and high end options are seeing to this. So maybe its time to adjust. Not me. I ain't drinking the new Koolaide quite yet (though I may as it gets harder to walk) and the only possible BMW in my future is the 2011 M3. And while a BMW fan, I open to other options as well. BMW does and will always make great cars.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

[/quote]
Old 09-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

I saw and examined an F10 black 550i yesterday at the airport parking. Hope the owner did mind since I did not touch it.

Wow!!! Hmmm!!!

It's bigger. It has more lines. I thought it was a 7 series at first. It "looked" more luxuries and different. And thinking, my wife would love every aspect of it. One thing for sure, it is more spacious, and from current F10 owners, it is smoother.

So back to me, I still need to butt dyno this car. I'm expecting a more nimble and refine driving experience in the F10 than an e60. I'll take a Lexus feel if it produces BMW performance numbers. But so far, I'm not really looking for a bigger form factor; and if the objective performance numbers are "marginally" better than the e60, then it doesn't have my vote.

Bottom line, if the technology makes the car consistantly perform(speed and handling)significantly better, I'll take as long it doesn't sacrifice interior space, safety, and other measureable factors. Styling is a subjective matter.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Members

My Ride: Just gone-520d m sport- Jet Black- Dakota Leather black- AluCube interior, On order- F10 520d SE-Titanium Silver

The e60 generally appealed to a certain demographic and was an unqqualified success. However, the guy it appealed to in 2003 is now 7 yrs older and maybe less interested in how the car handles in the twisties and more interested in a luxurious interior & better value. I looked at my e60 MSport every morning with adoration for 5 yrs and loved every minute of ownership but it's gone now and I've started to notice they really are starting to look dated on the road. The interior was alwaays stark but now the F10 has been around for a while the e60 interior in my opinion looks like it's from the mid 90's.