F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

What the new F10 Really needs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05545i' post='1065001' date='Nov 30 2009, 12:49 PM
If you dont mind me asking, what kind of things are prone to failure after that mileage?
Altenator, Transmission (automatic), water pump, coolant system, various sensors, obviously the battery, suspension - control arms - various bushings...

The engine is pretty solid as long as it gets proper oil changes, and is warmed up before driving fast. Get a tune up at around 100k and change the spark plugs at 65k
Old 11-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6MT

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='1065012' date='Nov 30 2009, 01:12 PM
Altenator, Transmission (automatic), water pump, coolant system, various sensors, obviously the battery, suspension - control arms - various bushings...

The engine is pretty solid as long as it gets proper oil changes, and is warmed up before driving fast. Get a tune up at around 100k and change the spark plugs at 65k
Cool. I kind of expected the alternator and battery. The waterpump/radiator has been done. Transmission is a manual.

I was told the plugs are due at 100k? I've already changed all the filters (engine air/cabin air).

I am a mechanic so i can do all the bushings, alternator, battery and that stuff myself. The only thing i am a little hesitant about doing is if the clutch ever does need replacing. It says 7.1 hours on alldata to change
Old 11-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by 05545i' post='1065014' date='Nov 30 2009, 01:14 PM
Cool. I kind of expected the alternator and battery. The waterpump/radiator has been done. Transmission is a manual.

I was told the plugs are due at 100k? I've already changed all the filters (engine air/cabin air).

I am a mechanic so i can do all the bushings, alternator, battery and that stuff myself. The only thing i am a little hesitant about doing is if the clutch ever does need replacing. It says 7.1 hours on alldata to change
Very good that you have a manual...a LOT less to worry about

The plugs are due at 100k but members who have replaced them earlier said it was well worth it.

BTW, there is someone on this board that had a 545i with 130k miles...also manual. I forgot his name though...
Old 11-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

I don't know. It seems like I have had a very different experience and probably not because I am a dealer. Wheels and tires aside, I have not had a single problem with either my '06 or my '08 550i. By contrast, my dad's '09 Lexus has been in the shop for a piece of trim falling off and rubbing against a tire and a failing satellite radio. I am not questioning Lexus reliability because I have heard from virtually everyone that it's great but so are my BMWs. On the other hand, I have no idea how anyone can say that they are jealous of Lexus owners for any reason besides price. My father's car is clearly a jacked up Camry. It's functionality, comfort and ride do not approach that of BMW. Not the same game, ballpark or even universe.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by mag75' post='1065124' date='Nov 30 2009, 03:02 PM
This original post feels like spam to me....there are only 3 posts and the first post is talking about reliablility? Sounds like someone from a mercedes forum.....plus, what is an 05 523i ?? Is that even an actual model?
Could be but the OP is from Singapore and the 523 was a model that was sold to non-US markets...
Old 11-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by mag75' post='1065124' date='Nov 30 2009, 04:02 PM
This original post feels like spam to me....there are only 3 posts and the first post is talking about reliablility? Sounds like someone from a mercedes forum.....plus, what is an 05 523i ?? Is that even an actual model?
I've had great experience reliability wise. One software issue on active steer and a loud noise on the moonroof. The SAs have been super and they just sort things out. Of course now Im jinxing my 5er and the tranny will blow up shortly.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mag75' post='1065124' date='Nov 30 2009, 04:02 PM

[sub]Must ... not ... comment ... on ... Texans' ... reputation ... for ... ignorance .... and ... judging .... other ... people ... Must ... stop ... typing ...[/sub]

Seriously, man, if you ever want to learn about something, just go to this brand new site: http://www.google.com

You can type any term in the open box about half way down the page, click enter, and like magic it directs you to tons of sites with information about it. Try it out -- it's really, really cool.

I used the site to look up "bmw 523i" and came up with: http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1SNNT_enUS354US354&aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=bmw+523i
While BMW definitely produces a quality car overall, some of its parts are not as good as its whole. I have been wrestling for weeks on whether I should extend my warranty/maintenance for another two years or have faith that my 530i's running costs will be less than these programs' total fees. All I have to do is have a look at the ever-changing and/or repetitive problem area reports or pleas for help in the E60 Discussions section of these Forums to become extremely nervous despite my positive experiences with three previous BMW's.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by 06530-6M' post='1065248' date='Nov 30 2009, 04:33 PM
[sub]Must ... not ... comment ... on ... Texans' ... reputation ... for ... ignorance .... and ... judging .... other ... people ... Must ... stop ... typing ...[/sub]

Seriously, man, if you ever want to learn about something, just go to this brand new site: http://www.google.com

You can type any term in the open box about half way down the page, click enter, and like magic it directs you to tons of sites with information about it. Try it out -- it's really, really cool.

I used the site to look up "bmw 523i" and came up with: http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1SNNT_e...&q=bmw+523i

While BMW definitely produces a quality car overall, some of its parts are not as good as its whole. I have been wrestling for weeks on whether I should extend my warranty/maintenance for another two years or have faith that my 530i's running costs will be less than these programs' total fees. All I have to do is have a look at the ever-changing and/or repetitive problem area reports or pleas for help in the E60 Discussions section of these Forums to become extremely nervous despite my positive experiences with three previous BMW's.
That, my friend, is an excellent post.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1065256' date='Nov 30 2009, 04:46 PM
That, my friend, is an excellent post.
agreed
Old 11-30-2009, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think "reliability" is a relative term. To me, a car that is unreliable does something like fails to start and/or leaves you stranded somewhere. Things like transmission slam, etc. that are often fixed via software, in my mind, don't count towards the car's reliablility factor. Clearly, the E60 is a very technologically advanced car with many computer/software controlled things. For the most part, things work very well but as we've seen from the early 2004 cars until now, there have been some significant software upgrades/fixes that have improved things a bunch.

Sure, the HPFP issue is one thing that would make the car unreliable but obviously, it doesn't affect all E60 cars, just the ones with that specific pump.

For me, my 2004 car, aside from software glitches early on, was pretty much as reliable as any Japanese car. My current 2008 car has been even better since the software glitches were reduced significantly and again, I've had no problems at all (other than stupid flat tires) with the car that I'd consider a reliability issue. Granted, I leased both cars while they were under warranty so I don't have the same experiences as others here who may have higher mileage cars, etc.

I expect the F10 to be as reliable as my first year, 2004 E60 but I expect less software glitches since the iDrive system used has been out already in the F01 7 Series, the 5GT, etc. (Remember that the E60 was the first "2nd generation" iDrive so we were the ones who helped them get the bugs out.)

I plan on getting an F10 in it's first MY (like I did with the E60) and I'm optimistic that I won't regret my choice...

Quick Reply: What the new F10 Really needs.