F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

what a BOAT!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Rudy
All I can say right now is -- Mel gets it!

(oh yeah, and I can't resist mentioning that since it's winter, maybe the loaner car's floor mats were a bit wet? )
Old 02-02-2011, 06:25 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Rudy
All I can say right now is -- Mel gets it!

(oh yeah, and I can't resist mentioning that since it's winter, maybe the loaner car's floor mats were a bit wet? )

Point well taken Rudy, Mell usually does get it. Yep, I agree, he would have a completely different opinion if he had done the infamous "floormat deletion mod" (good for 100HP guaranteed )
Old 02-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Originally Posted by Ricracing
Are you really from Harrisburg PA bha7176?

Damned, I took some nice pics of the Three Mile Island nuclear plant in June '79.
Used to live in Ann Arbor, MI at that time and took a trip to D.C.

Also the T?ernobyl nucleal accidend in '86 happened relatively close to where I live.
I live here now, yes. Like I said in my PM....Do you glow when its really dark outside?
Old 02-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Banned

Thank GOD I got my e60 back yesterday. I was using boat in terms of sheer size. I had no beef with handling and it had the dynamic drive package. I never said the handling was anything but pure bmw. A lot of it I realized is the sheer size of the hood and how you can see the entire hood v. the e60 you dont really see the hood when you sit lowest position but in the f10 the lowest position you see a giant hood. You also feel extremely wide.

Not saying you dont get used to anything but that is the only way to compare, before you adapt to something. I found the idrive knob and the radio arrows not oriented to the driver either-both were on the right side of the console so you had to reach over more than the e60 which I didnt like.

The enine had some power in it and surely is quick but it was very "not fun" to drive. You had to step on it....wait a minute..then get a surge of power that quickly topped out at 6k rpm and starts to die. The power punch is nice right in the middle but you dont have that really wide band of linear hp like the NA does. My car is just so much more eager to rev and eager to have fun. You can keep it above 6k and it will hold the gear and have instant response all through until redline. You have to know how to drive a NA bmw properly to get any grunt out of it, otherwise an52 engine is boggy feeling-gotta stay high up.. I am pushed back into my seat harder in my 530.

To sum it up-the best thing I can say is this-When I got my e60 I would drive it for fun almost every night and to this day I still go out and take a ride even if I dont have to because it is just still fun to drive. At no time when I had the f10 did I want to drive it for fun. It was a luxurious car to get from point A to B but it had no soul and lif. Was just boring.

anyway I am looking forward to my M3 as that is probably the last non-turbo car I will own. I will give bmw 3 more years or so to improve their FI effort in the M cars and replicate a higher revving , more m-like linear HP curve because the FI engines now are just plain boring.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M-Sport xDrive
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by Diamond
Thank GOD I got my e60 back yesterday. I was using boat in terms of sheer size. I had no beef with handling and it had the dynamic drive package. I never said the handling was anything but pure bmw. A lot of it I realized is the sheer size of the hood and how you can see the entire hood v. the e60 you dont really see the hood when you sit lowest position but in the f10 the lowest position you see a giant hood. You also feel extremely wide.

Not saying you dont get used to anything but that is the only way to compare, before you adapt to something. I found the idrive knob and the radio arrows not oriented to the driver either-both were on the right side of the console so you had to reach over more than the e60 which I didnt like.

The enine had some power in it and surely is quick but it was very "not fun" to drive. You had to step on it....wait a minute..then get a surge of power that quickly topped out at 6k rpm and starts to die. The power punch is nice right in the middle but you dont have that really wide band of linear hp like the NA does. My car is just so much more eager to rev and eager to have fun. You can keep it above 6k and it will hold the gear and have instant response all through until redline. You have to know how to drive a NA bmw properly to get any grunt out of it, otherwise an52 engine is boggy feeling-gotta stay high up.. I am pushed back into my seat harder in my 530.

To sum it up-the best thing I can say is this-When I got my e60 I would drive it for fun almost every night and to this day I still go out and take a ride even if I dont have to because it is just still fun to drive. At no time when I had the f10 did I want to drive it for fun. It was a luxurious car to get from point A to B but it had no soul and lif. Was just boring.

anyway I am looking forward to my M3 as that is probably the last non-turbo car I will own. I will give bmw 3 more years or so to improve their FI effort in the M cars and replicate a higher revving , more m-like linear HP curve because the FI engines now are just plain boring.
Yeah, just take it easy. I am sure in a couple of years you will be driving F10 and enjoing BMW TwinPower engines.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by geobmw
Yeah, just take it easy. I am sure in a couple of years you will be driving F10 and enjoing BMW TwinPower engines.

I know I will be
Old 02-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

AHHHH...the infamous FLOOR MAT DELETE rofl!!!!! Its been a while since I heard that one
Old 02-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

I have a loaner as well and it is a big boat! It ride smother and takes bumps better but is so big, it is no drivers car. I am sure you can add enough HP to make it go fast but my even old X5 4.4 felt much more connected to the road and more nimble.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 520 iA E60 -04

Real Drivers have two wheels.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 550i M Sport

Originally Posted by V70Cat
I have a loaner as well and it is a big boat! It ride smother and takes bumps better but is so big, it is no drivers car. I am sure you can add enough HP to make it go fast but my even old X5 4.4 felt much more connected to the road and more nimble.
I wonder what model you have as a loaner, they must make the BMW's different were you are. X5 4.4 more connected
I give up.