F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

What activates the windscreen washer jets heating?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010 | 08:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

The F10 has sidemirrow and windscreen washer jet electric heaters.

But how do they work?

1. Automatically when the temperture goes under some certaine temperature or

2. When you switch on the rear window heating or

3. Something else?
Old 11-25-2010 | 08:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing
The F10 has sidemirrow and windscreen washer jet electric heaters.

But how do they work?

1. Automatically when the temperture goes under some certaine temperature or

2. When you switch on the rear window heating or

3. Something else?

The correct answer is ...
Attached Thumbnails What activates the windscreen washer jets heating?-mirrors.jpg   What activates the windscreen washer jets heating?-washer.jpg  
Old 11-25-2010 | 08:56 AM
Contributors

Cameras too
Attached Thumbnails What activates the windscreen washer jets heating?-camera.jpg  
Old 11-25-2010 | 09:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Thanks luigi524td for the rapid answer.

What may be the temperture when this should happen?

Like +3C (37F) or something else?

It's now -10C (14F) here and we have some problems with the nozzles...
Old 11-25-2010 | 09:14 AM
Contributors

Thanks luigi524td for the rapid answer.

What may be the temperture when this should happen?

Like +3C (37F) or something else?

It's now -10C (32F) here and we have some problems with the nozzles...
My recollection is 37 degrees F ... are you using washer fluid with de-icer? The commercial mixes generally protect to -20 degrees F. Or maybe your nozzles are blocked with crud. Use a some canned air (the stuff used to blow dust from PC's etc) and shoot a blast into the nozzle.
Old 11-25-2010 | 09:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by luigi524td
My recollection is 37 degrees F ... are you using washer fluid with de-icer? The commercial mixes generally protect to -20 degrees F. Or maybe your nozzles are blocked with crud. Use a some canned air (the stuff used to blow dust from PC's etc) and shoot a blast into the nozzle.
BMW cars warns always at 3C or 37,4F and below, as you know.

There's not a problem with the washer fluid nor the nozzles (except for the nozzle warmer).

We're expecting below minus 5 F early next week. Coldest November in 100 years or even longer.
Old 11-25-2010 | 12:04 PM
Senior Members

BMW cars warns always at 3C or 37,4F and below, as you know.

There's not a problem with the washer fluid nor the nozzles (except for the nozzle warmer).

We're expecting below minus 5 F early next week. Coldest November in 100 years or even longer.
I haven't looked in the manual yet...but I've used the window washers today with -10 C outside.They worked just fine.
I was however a bit concerned about the head light washers though... as I recall, they are not supposed to be active at such low temperatures.
I imagine that the pop-up mechanism could be damaged if the washers are frozen shut.
Old 11-26-2010 | 09:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Scandic24
I imagine that the pop-up mechanism could be damaged if the washers are frozen shut.
The can very well be damaged. I see quite often BMW's without light wash pop-up mechanism's.
They don't have any heating systems, as they should have.

- 20 C here next week :thumbsdown:
Old 11-26-2010 | 10:41 AM
Senior Members

I didn't find anything in the swe manual regarding the washer nozzles other than that they are heated....nothing about when the heating function is activated.
It is also interesting to see that some manuals state that the rear cam is heated too. My manual say nothing about that.
Old 12-06-2010 | 12:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: April 2007 520D M Sport LCI. Automatic. Sunroof. BMW Bluetooth. Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Natural Brown Leather.

Originally Posted by Scandic24
I haven't looked in the manual yet...but I've used the window washers today with -10 C outside.They worked just fine.
I was however a bit concerned about the head light washers though... as I recall, they are not supposed to be active at such low temperatures.

Drove ~ 280KM today with an average temperature of -7 and the windscreen washers didn't work, nor did the headlight washers.
Bit of a pain in freezing fog with crap hitting the window and windscreen wipers rigid like wood scraping across the screen with nothing to help them..... maybe your Scandinavian Spec cars get better winter equipment???

Quick Reply: What activates the windscreen washer jets heating?