F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Tarnished steering wheel logo

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 11:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 528i Sport/Premium/NAV
Default Tarnished steering wheel logo

I love my F10, but its starting to show a problem that I had with my two previous E60's: tarnished steering wheel logo. The outer chrome rim is starting to fade and discolor in several patches. I don't know how this has happened on my past 3 cars, and I have told my dealer about the problem. They can't replace the steering wheel logo because its attached to the airbag.

I thought the car wash guys were using some harsh detergent on the interior of my old E60's so when I got my F10, I made a point to not have them clean my interior. Unfortunately, after a year and a half, my new car is having the same problem.

Does anyone else have this problem and any solutions on how to fix this aesthetic issue? Its pretty annoying to look at all the time.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Senior Members

It seems to be fairly common issue. It could be sun light, I have the same issue. I have not heard of this issue with any luxury cars..
Old 01-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Contributors

Exclamation Substandard part; BMW should change supplier

Originally Posted by pulserace2004
I love my F10, but its starting to show a problem that I had with my two previous E60's: tarnished steering wheel logo. The outer chrome rim is starting to fade and discolor in several patches. I don't know how this has happened on my past 3 cars, and I have told my dealer about the problem. They can't replace the steering wheel logo because its attached to the airbag.

I thought the car wash guys were using some harsh detergent on the interior of my old E60's so when I got my F10, I made a point to not have them clean my interior. Unfortunately, after a year and a half, my new car is having the same problem.

Does anyone else have this problem and any solutions on how to fix this aesthetic issue? Its pretty annoying to look at all the time.

The "chrome" rim of the steering wheel roundel is not tarnishing. It is wearing off. I cleaned the interior of my e60 regularly using only a quality detail spray and microfiber cloths. It never required hard rubbing because, quite frankly, it wasn't necessary. And I never had the need to handle the logo in the center of the steering airbag except for a few times (over 5-6 in 6 years / 60K miles) to instinctively hit the center to blow the horn in an "emergency situation.

Consequently the roundel did have a minor 'depression' - noticeable only on close inspection.

HOWEVER, the chrome trim around the edge of the Roundel was beginning to look as if it was rubbing off. I did, thinking it was dirty, try some auto polish. but it didn't help - looking really close it was readily apparent the 'chrome' edge was wearing off ever so slightly - permitting the grayish plastic underneath to show through.

I suppose that if the car received harder use this 'blemish' would have been more evident. But, I traded the car on a 2013 535xDrive 3 weeks ago.

I wonder if whoever is supplying these trim pieces to BMW has been made aware of this quality control issue. It's probably something as simple as ensuring the chrome flashing on the plastic is a little thicker ... or that some clear protectant finish is applied in final production. I don't think it would require a NASA research team to figure this one out.

Certainly BMW cannot be happy about minor trim pieces wearing out RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR EYES!

I recommend you asking your BMW Service Adviser to ask BMWNA to review this situation - it's not an unusual one and deserves some consideration. If this happened on my relatively new BMW F10 you bet I'd expect them to replace the airbag cover (that's required since the Roundel is firmly fixed to it) without making so much as a PEEP about it.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

Ooopppss, didn't notice it was such an old thread.
I had the same issue on my 2004 525i about two years in. Since it was still under warranty I complained to the dealer about it and they replaced the whole steering wheel. Yep, the whole thing. Apparently the roundel is attached to the airbag module and they have to replace the whole thing.
Keeping my fingers crossed on my 2014 535i, the steering wheel leather itself is showing bad signs of wear already.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:28 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW

It is a common issue but I don't know how to solve this problem.

Last edited by Sherlyn001; 09-26-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:02 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535i 2012

Originally Posted by Sherlyn001
It is a common issue but I don't know how to solve this problem.
look on ebay you can buy a whole set of roundels, steering wheel, wheels hood etc...

they are very good quality, cant even tell the difference....the steering wheel one sticks right on with 3m double sided tape provided--
less than 10 bucks

and you can do other colors too

changed all mine to black/white looks awesome