F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Switching Away From 19" Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Yes several BMW dealers said it would work. The diameter is about an inch larger than stock. As you may know (or not), the F10's speedo reads fast. So the bigger wheel/tire combo should cure it.

I run an upsized sidewall in my E60 550i M Sport's winter set. And I love it -- no bubbles and better pothole protection.

Also several members on Bimmerfest who also ditched the RFT run that size (245/45/19). None report problems.
Thanks so much. So I will decide on 19" wheels with 245/45/19 non Run Flat, 19" wheels with 245/40/19 non Run Flats, or 18" wheels with 245/40 18 either Run Flat or Non Run Flat. Since my car is X drive and I live in Upstate NY I do need All Season as I do not want to switch 2X per year.

I must say that keeping the 19" wheels is a very attractive option. I do like the look and the cost is a lot less. The current bubble is very small and only an experienced eye would see it so I have a bit of time to decide.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Eyesight
Thanks so much. So I will decide on 19" wheels with 245/45/19 non Run Flat, 19" wheels with 245/40/19 non Run Flats, or 18" wheels with 245/40 18 either Run Flat or Non Run Flat. Since my car is X drive and I live in Upstate NY I do need All Season as I do not want to switch 2X per year.

I must say that keeping the 19" wheels is a very attractive option. I do like the look and the cost is a lot less. The current bubble is very small and only an experienced eye would see it so I have a bit of time to decide.
Correct. I did not spring for a 550i xDrive M Sport to downgrade to 18 inch wheels.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

You'll need two sets of tires and wheels, one for the summer and the other for the summer. Read my signature, please.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing
You'll need two sets of tires and wheels, one for the summer and the other for the summer. Read my signature, please.
If he goes with all seasons and not max summer performance tires he may not need to switch tires. That being said, if I were in a heavy snow area, I would get dedicated snow tires for winter as they do have a lot more stopping power and traction in snow than all seasons. Summer tires such as your are downright dangerous to run in cold weather -- let alone in snow. My soon to be former E60 has summers and dedicated snows.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

If he goes with all seasons and not max summer performance tires he may not need to switch tires. That being said, if I were in a heavy snow area, I would get dedicated snow tires for winter as they do have a lot more stopping power and traction in snow than all seasons. Summer tires such as your are downright dangerous to run in cold weather -- let alone in snow. My soon to be former E60 has summers and dedicated snows.
All season tires are not good either for the summer nor winter seasons. This is a fact that we here in the North has known for some 20 years now.

The easy part is the summers, get nice, big wheels and a performance tires from a good brand and that's it.

But the winters! The best are of course the Scandinavian winters with studdes, but they are not allowed in North America, so forget about thouse. See Nokian tires web site though http://www.nokiantires.com/

The next best winter tires are narrow and made for the Scadinavian climates, but not even these tires are availble in the North America, but why? I just don't understand

Now you guys are driving with "European winter tires" that are no good in real winter conditions, they are about as bad as the all season tires.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing
All season tires are not good either for the summer nor winter seasons. This is a fact that we here in the North has known for some 20 years now.

The easy part is the summers, get nice, big wheels and a performance tires from a good brand and that's it.

But the winters! The best are of course the Scandinavian winters with studdes, but they are not allowed in North America, so forget about thouse. See Nokian tires web site though http://www.nokiantires.com/

The next best winter tires are narrow and made for the Scadinavian climates, but not even these tires are availble in the North America, but why? I just don't understand

Now you guys are driving with "European winter tires" that are no good in real winter conditions, they are about as bad as the all season tires.
It all depends on whether you live somewhere with a real winter or not. If I lived in snow country in Western new York or in Vermont or New Hampshire, I would absolutely get dedicated snows. But I live in Manhattan where when it snows (which in most winters save last winter) it does not snow that much and when it does, the plows deal with it ASAP. For a place like NYC, all seasons are just fine, especially for those of us who live in apartments without a private garage. All seasons perform fine in colder temps but yes they lack the snow bite of dedicated snows.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Members

It all depends on whether you live somewhere with a real winter or not. If I lived in snow country in Western new York or in Vermont or New Hampshire, I would absolutely get dedicated snows. But I live in Manhattan where when it snows (which in most winters save last winter) it does not snow that much and when it does, the plows deal with it ASAP. For a place like NYC, all seasons are just fine, especially for those of us who live in apartments without a private garage. All seasons perform fine in colder temps but yes they lack the snow bite of dedicated snows.
It looks like I will begin the process of getting the Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus in 245/45/19 and keep my beautiful 19" wheels. I now need to try to get GY and/or BMW to help pay for them.

SDG 1871, have you had any issues with the suspension electronics? Did you run the tire pressure suggested by BMW for the original tires or did you modify the psi? It seems that the psi would be the same regardless of the slight difference in tire size. Of course it will take more air to achieve the same pressure and therefore more cushioning of the bumps.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:18 AM
Contributors

It looks like I will begin the process of getting the Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus in 245/45/19 and keep my beautiful 19" wheels. I now need to try to get GY and/or BMW to help pay for them.

SDG 1871, have you had any issues with the suspension electronics? Did you run the tire pressure suggested by BMW for the original tires or did you modify the psi? It seems that the psi would be the same regardless of the slight difference in tire size. Of course it will take more air to achieve the same pressure and therefore more cushioning of the bumps.
I will tell you on Thurs after I pick up the car. Several members on Bimmerfest run that size on their 19s on their F10s and report no problems. I have run taller sidewalls on my E60 550's winter set with no issues