F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Optimizing CIC uses

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optimizing CIC uses

OK, here are a couple of stumpers Ill put out there.
My set up is as stated below: full 2012 Combox, NAV, CIC retrofit. All works great.

But Im having 2 issues questions I need help with:

1. My cell phone doesnt provide email or calendar within BMW Office. It does provide texts, but nothing else comes up. Ive researched & confirmed my phone (kyocera Torque) is both Android Jellybean & the BT profiles support MAP & BMAP as needed. Any suggestions on how to get full BMW office functionality? No way am I going to a blackberry to get it!!!

2. Video Streaming: Any creative solutions on how to take advantage of that beautiful HD CIC screen with video streaming? Id love to rig an Apple TV in there (I have the WiFi hotspot in car already to power it). Or Sling box? Any cool ideas???
Old 03-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Maddog-99
OK, here are a couple of stumpers Ill put out there.
My set up is as stated below: full 2012 Combox, NAV, CIC retrofit. All works great.

But Im having 2 issues questions I need help with:

1. My cell phone doesnt provide email or calendar within BMW Office. It does provide texts, but nothing else comes up. Ive researched & confirmed my phone (kyocera Torque) is both Android Jellybean & the BT profiles support MAP & BMAP as needed. Any suggestions on how to get full BMW office functionality? No way am I going to a blackberry to get it!!!

2. Video Streaming: Any creative solutions on how to take advantage of that beautiful HD CIC screen with video streaming? Id love to rig an Apple TV in there (I have the WiFi hotspot in car already to power it). Or Sling box? Any cool ideas???
Or a SE phone. If you are good at writing android apps, here is an idea for an app. Extract the PIM data and present it on the bluetooth interface in the same format that SE does it.

Video streaming is possible via the iphone.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Members

Bruce,
Thanks
As always you are a source of hope!

On the phone issue: I assume you mean Sony Ericsson & yes, I wont be rocking one of those anytime soon. Android & its Jellyban APIs are supposed to make full functionality a breeze. But its not. Anything I can do on that?

On the streaming: Im excited by the idea of streaming video from iphone to the CIC. Can you tell me more about how to do this? What app or set up is needed to get it to play out on the CIC.

As you may remember from a while back, I have the iPod Cradle set up to play digitally. A side effect of that is that video on the Pod will play back w/ the audio & video out of sync (demuxed?). So any loaded content on the iPod is wanky & doesnt work. Thats why Im pushing toward streaming...
Old 03-09-2013, 09:58 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2013 528i xdrive

I am a bit of a home theater and car combo kind of guy as well. I am planning on accessing the video via the media adapter and a extension cable to my ipad. Also, I have ordered my dvdinmotion unlock cd to allow for video in motion. btw I have a 2013 5er with nav.

Now what I am hoping to do is be able to stream my sling player app through the media adapter (snap in). I am not sure if it will work, but will be sure to make a thread if it does.

As for the android problem, I have 2 phones the iphone 5 (work) and Galaxy s3 (mine).

With the iphone I can stream music, check calendar and texts. It will not sync up emails and I am anti-social networking so I have not played with f book or twatter, also I can do BMW apps. Not sure how to get Pandora to work ( HOW?)

I Bluetooth synced my Android and was only able to use the talk feature of BT. It would not play music or anything else. I have heard that BMW is in the works to make an android app....

So, like the rest of the world, BMW drank the iKool aide and if you want to have all the features you have to have the iWhatever connected to the iDrive by either USB or Snap in Adapter.

Also, on another note: there is this Alekshop: Plug&Play Video Interafaces with Front and Rear Cameras - 2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10. It will let you add A/V in to your iDrive.

Last edited by mayor bloom; 03-09-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Members

Thanks Mayor,

Please stay in touch & keep me posted on how those ideas work out.

Couple things that may help you:
1. Mail on BMW Office: this seems to be a prevelant issue. Many/Most get texts, few get mail & calendar. Count me in the few. There is a BMW software update for more compatibility & you can get it on BMWs site (it will ask for your VIN). This may help, may not. I am frustrated with this as I have a Jellybean Android Phone & cannot get full office functionality. I have ensured Office is checked for that phone, but even though Ive confirmed the phone supports the correct BT profiles of MAP & MBAP (sp?) I still only get text. If anyone can help, please do.

2. Bluetooth Audio: You should have no trouble doing this on android or apple. Ive done it well on over 5 phones of each type & no issues. Go into the phone profile in the phone menu (hit options when over the phone of your choice) and ensure music is checked.

3. Pandora: There are 3 useful apps that are supported through BMW iDrive integration: Pandora, Stitcher (podcasts), & MOG (subscription music). You need the iphone/pod you are using to be connected through the BMW cradle & to have data on it (either on its own or recieving wifi). Then you open the app while connected & you get a cool iDrive controlable version of the app. I really like this. I use a iPod but have a portable router in the car feeding a wifi signal out to it. Love it.

The alternative is doing any of those apps through BT integration. That means you have to fiddle with your phone while driving, which is a pain, but is an alternative. Also you need to get your BT connection working.

4. AppleTV integration: I dropped this path. What I found is that I can use the Air Video app (in apple app store) on the ipad & then stream all of my movies to it over my wifi in car connection. So no need to have a dedicate appletv connected. I can do the same with the sling player app, as you mentioned. But its on the ipad instead of the iDrive & I need to bring the ipad.

Last edited by Maddog-99; 03-10-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Engine: n52

what portable router did u get?i know you will tell me that they are many out there..but i will like to know witch one u got(looks like it does the job good.)
what wi-fi thetering app are u using to connect to the internet by cable to the bmw cic and to get wifi from the router...?
thx u
Old 03-12-2013, 01:00 PM
Members

Feel free to ask any questions you want, that is what this whole forum thing is about. Its helped me immensely so Im happy to answer:

Here is my setup, all in my glovebox:
1. Cradlepoint R95 router. This accepts all the latest USB dongles & has wired output if ever needed.

2. Power in Glovebox:
BMW Genuine Auxiliary Power Adapter, (3 Series after 1999), (5 Series after 1996), (7 Series after 1994), All X5, X3, Z4 : Amazon.com : Automotive BMW Genuine Auxiliary Power Adapter, (3 Series after 1999), (5 Series after 1996), (7 Series after 1994), All X5, X3, Z4 : Amazon.com : Automotive

3. Converter from DC to AC:
Amazon.com: BESTEK 75w power inverter car dc 12v to 110v ac inverter dc adapter laptop charger notebook adapter dc charger ac adapter usb charger Dual USB 2.1A 711C: Automotive Amazon.com: BESTEK 75w power inverter car dc 12v to 110v ac inverter dc adapter laptop charger notebook adapter dc charger ac adapter usb charger Dual USB 2.1A 711C: Automotive

Ive further added an external antennae for my USB dongle, though I dont think I needed it. Ive always had 4 bars of LTE reception, even while being in the glove box. I recommend only the Verizon LTE Dongle.

That all gets my car into a reliable portable hotspot.

Then I have an iphone 4 that no longer has cell service (just wifi) that snaps into the BMW module.
From WiFi I run the following apps from the iPhone daily: Stitcher (podcasts), Pandora (random music), MOG (like spotify w/ own playlists).

Its gotten to the point where I rarely use the music on my iPhone because of these other sources.
All of those apps are integrated 3rd party meaning they are controlled through the idrive once loaded & I dont have to fiddle w/ the phone.

I havent yet made the leap to get the phone sharing the connection into the car. This means the BMW Internet & BMW Live dont function. As you can imagine, this is no great loss given I have my smartphone. BUT I will be lighting it up one weekend once I:

- Jailbreak my iphone 4
- install app MyFi: this allows you to share a wifi data signal as a tethered data signal. Natively you can only share the cellular data signal, so these steps are required.

No idea if it works or not, will let you know when I do it.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Engine: n52

THX U FOR ALL THE INFORMATION
now..
what do u mean by usb dongle?
in MyFi what type of thetering are u using ? wifi/usb/bt?? i believe the usb because is plug on the bmw cable that run back to the cic!!

i thought once u jailbreak the phone and u use MyFi u should be able to get bmw internet?? why dont u get it?? because the wifi from your router is not enough ,,or as u mention above..u NEED TO HAVE CELLUAR DATA ON THE IPHONE ..??
Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Members

First question to you: Are you really in Romania? Thats pretty wild.

Heres the answers:
USB dongle is a modem. google it on verizons site & you will see more. This plugs into the back of the router as the ethernet in option.

For Router Im using the Cradlepoint MBR95. This has worked out great for me.

I havent set up the MyFi yet, but when I do it will be set to BT tethering. This (I believe) is the only way BMW will recieve the data signal. As I said, I didnt set it up yet on my iphone so I cant tell you if it works & thats why I dont have BMW internet. There just hasnt been a rush to get it figured out as using the incar internet is not that compelling.

Ive never jailbroken an iphone so Ill study up on that & report back on it.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Why did you bother with all that for the power. Your router runs off 12V itself. You've just gone from 12V DC to 120V AC only to come down back to 12V DC!

Quick Reply: Optimizing CIC uses