F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Ok e60 vs f10 the showdown lol

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 08:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shebs
The larger surface area (A) is the simple cars dimensions (Width x Height) minus the recess of the inclination of the cars A pillar towards the roof minus the ground clearance. The frontal surface area of the F10 is bigger than that of the E60 due to its bigger dimensions whether in Europe or any where else.The coefficient of drag of my E60 523i is 0.27. the number was listed on BMW international site when the E60 was still produced. I remember that number very well because I was going to buy a E90 320i with Cd of 0.26, then I bought the E60 with Cd of 0.27. That was in 2006.It might be that you found the Cd on another site that stated the wrong or a different E60 version.Autozine refers to the F10 aerodynamics deterioration when compared to the E60.The article states: "Aerodynamic efficiency has also taken a backward step. The outgoing car (E60) not only had a smaller frontal area but also a lower drag coefficient down to 0.27. The new car starts from 0.28 in the modest models, rising to 0.29 in 535i and 0.30 in 550i. This is a night and day difference from the latest Mercedes E-class, whose drag coefficient ranges from 0.26 to 0.28. Ridiculously, BMW has already applied an innovative automatic flaps to its nose intake, which draws the right amount of air to the radiator depending on cooling demand , thus keep aerodynamic drag to the minimum. It's probably time to head hunt the aerodynamicists from Stuttgart."The force of drag on a car depends on both the Cd multiplied by A. Since both numbers are bigger in the F10 when compared to the E60, then the force of drag will be higher. BMWblog author is mistaken to state that aerodynamics were improved. Sports cars including Porshces and Ferraris (F430 0.33) use different concepts when they are aerodynamically designed. They need more down force to avoid aerodynamic lift at very high speeds which will result in lower stability in high speed corners and might lift the car off the ground in straights. That's why they will end with with higher Cds compared to our sports saloons. In Formula 1, aerodynamics are configured for either top speed (low drag) or cornering stability (higher drag) depending on the track type. If the track has a lot of long straights the aerodynamics will be optimized for top speed, if it has a lot of corners aerodynamics will be optimized for down force while top speed is compromised.
It appears Autozine site suggests (possibly erroneously) a difference of 0.01 for the modest models (without stating which models) and this means a significant worse Cd? E60 has a 520i which has a Cd of 0.27. Do you have the websites that list the Cd for the different E60, 520i, 523i, 535i and the 550i? I'm not sure whether your recollection of 0.27 for the 523i is correct. (It appears you may have assumed that the Cd for all E60s is 0.27
Old 10-24-2010, 08:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Sports cars including Porshces and Ferraris (F430 0.33) use different concepts when they are aerodynamically designed. They need more down force to avoid aerodynamic lift at very high speeds which will result in lower stability in high speed corners and might lift the car off the ground in straights. That's why they will end with with higher Cds compared to our sports saloons.
Could it be that BMW designed in more down force to aid high speed stability? The F10 felt better at speed than my E60. Although front suspension and steering geometry also play a role in that. It is good to design a car to the best aerodynamic compromise but its silly to diss a car for a .01 deficit. That probably makes a .1 mpg difference on the highway and no difference around town.

Also, the statement above regarding frontal area, wasn't stating it was different in Europe. He was referring to European regulations requiring larger frontal areas for supposed better pedestrian safety. BMW may have designed to that specification more than Mercedes.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by Richard in NC
Could it be that BMW designed in more down force to aid high speed stability? The F10 felt better at speed than my E60. Although front suspension and steering geometry also play a role in that. It is good to design a car to the best aerodynamic compromise but its silly to diss a car for a .01 deficit. That probably makes a .1 mpg difference on the highway and no difference around town.

Also, the statement above regarding frontal area, wasn't stating it was different in Europe. He was referring to European regulations requiring larger frontal areas for supposed better pedestrian safety. BMW may have designed to that specification more than Mercedes.
The increase in the Cd might have been for the high speed stability as you stated, but the aerodynamic lift on our sports saloons top speeds is not as critical as in sports cars with top speeds of around 300 km/h or more. That is why all of the F10 competitors are trying their best to decrease their Cds; I think they also do care about top speeds stability. The E60 M5 with the downforce generating spoilers and wider stance achieved a Cd of 0.30 when compared to the E60 523i of 0.27 (10% increase in Cd), which is logical to maintain high speed stability.

The 0.01 difference is equivalent to 3.6% of the 0.27 Cd of the E60. This means that the drag force on the car at any speed will be higher than the E60 by 3.6%, and that is while we neglect the effect of the larger frontal surface area. Consequently, the fuel consumption at top speeds will be worse by 3.6% (only at top speeds where the force generated by the engine will serve to mainly counteract the effect of air resistance and not the rolling resistance of tires which is more prominent at low speeds). The effect of the Cd on fuel consumption at normal speeds can be considered negligible as you stated, but not at top speeds.

I am not disrespecting the F10 for the 3.6% deterioration in Cd, I am just commenting on the shortages in the Bmwblog article posted earlier where the article refers to the improved aerodynamics of the F10. The F10 remains to be a great car in most aspects.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Pretty good written Scudeyyy

The E60 was a bit sportier and the F10's width is a bitch to estimate.

Otherwise the F10 is better in all.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Members

The coefficient of drag of my E60 523i is 0.27. the number was listed on BMW international site when the E60 was still produced. I remember that number very well because I was going to buy a E90 320i with Cd of 0.26, then I bought the E60 with Cd of 0.27. That was in 2006.It might be that you found the Cd on another site that stated the wrong or a different E60 version.
The 2005 320i has a Cd of 0.28 and the 2008 has 0.26.

The 2005 E60 523i has a Cd of 0.28 and the 2007 model has 0.27

The 2009 E60 535i has a Cd of 0.29 and the 550i model has 0.30, ie identical with the F10 equivalents.

From all the posts, BMW has added space, luxury and safety measures on the F10 but improved the chassis and some of the engines, making some of its performance and sportiness arguably equivalent to the E60 eg the 535i, and others crushing the E60 eg the F10 550i
Old 10-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by bm323

The 2009 E60 535i has a Cd of 0.29 and the 550i model has 0.30, ie identical with the F10 equivalents.

From all the posts, BMW has added space, luxury and safety measures on the F10 but improved the chassis and some of the engines, making some of its performance and sportiness arguably equivalent to the E60 eg the 535i, and others crushing the E60 eg the F10 550i
This leaves us with the fact the F10 has a worse Cd in average than the E60 it replaces, as I stated in my post #27. The author of the Bmwblog article was incorrect in his statements .
Old 10-25-2010, 12:23 AM
JMC
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5, Silverstone II/Black

Originally Posted by bm323

What are you talking about? "Crushing the E60"? Is that really necessary?

I've been following some of these discussions and I have to say I'm amazed how restrained and patient some of the members have been when you and a couple of others have trashed their existing cars. What's more surprising is that you seem to be basing all your arguments on reviews and data, rejecting others' more subjective responses on the basis that they are, well, subjective.

A lot of people buy their cars based on subjective criteria. One of the other guys has been trying to point out, quite reasonably I think, that the subjective reason behind most 5-series owners' choice has always been that it has always been more overtly sporty than its rivals. Moving the balance towards a softer ride, must invite some of these people to question whether or not the new model is the car for them, because no matter how good it makes the car - in your opinion even better than the E60 - those improvements are in an area that many of us don't use for our subjective choice of car. It is perfectly fine if you value these traits higher than the more sporting dynamics of the outgoing model, and I'm sure you will be very happy with your car for years with very good reason. But it's also fine if some others point out that they miss (or would miss) the character of the older model. They aren't any more wrong than you are.

BMW have obviously calculated that they will gain more new purchasers than they will lose existing owners if it is felt that the balance has gone wrong, and that is a commercial decision that I'm not qualified to judge. But there is no doubt in my mind that lose existing owners they must, because I'm one of them. Having owned three E60s, I won't be buying an F10 to replace my current car in the next few months. That's not because it's not a good car - it certainly is - but because it's just not my cup of tea. It does feel more comfortable, but it doesn't make me grin, and that is very important to me. I hated the looks of the E60 when it was released, but when I drove one I was hooked, and the looks grew on me. I don't dislike the F10's looks (not very adventurous, but after all the criticism of the Bangle years, I see why BMW have toned things down) but just didn't get it when I drove it.

And that's a problem for BMW, because while it's just my opinion, I may have to take my money somewhere else. The thing is that in the past if I wanted a high-end saloon that put driving dynamics front and center there was only one real choice. But now, BMW have forced me to think of my next car as a sporting luxury saloon rather than a luxury sports saloon, and in doing so invite me to consider all the other sporting luxury saloons, of which there are many. Simply put, if I'm buying luxury, why would I put BMW at the top of the list, because the current Jags, Lexus and maybe even Merc, do it just as well or better?
Old 10-25-2010, 12:40 AM
Members

This leaves us with the fact the F10 has a worse Cd in average than the E60 it replaces, as I stated in my post #27. The author of the Bmwblog article was incorrect in his statements .
Wow, I expected more from you the F10 535i and 550i do not, it's only the 2007 E60 523i compared to the F10 523i by 0.01.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JMC
What are you talking about? "Crushing the E60"? Is that really necessary?I've been following some of these discussions and I have to say I'm amazed how restrained and patient some of the members have been when you and a couple of others have trashed their existing cars. What's more surprising is that you seem to be basing all your arguments on reviews and data, rejecting others' more subjective responses on the basis that they are, well, subjective.A lot of people buy their cars based on subjective criteria. One of the other guys has been trying to point out, quite reasonably I think, that the subjective reason behind most 5-series owners' choice has always been that it has always been more overtly sporty than its rivals. Moving the balance towards a softer ride, must invite some of these people to question whether or not the new model is the car for them, because no matter how good it makes the car - in your opinion even better than the E60 - those improvements are in an area that many of us don't use for our subjective choice of car. It is perfectly fine if you value these traits higher than the more sporting dynamics of the outgoing model, and I'm sure you will be very happy with your car for years with very good reason. But it's also fine if some others point out that they miss (or would miss) the character of the older model. They aren't any more wrong than you are.BMW have obviously calculated that they will gain more new purchasers than they will lose existing owners if it is felt that the balance has gone wrong, and that is a commercial decision that I'm not qualified to judge. But there is no doubt in my mind that lose existing owners they must, because I'm one of them. Having owned three E60s, I won't be buying an F10 to replace my current car in the next few months. That's not because it's not a good car - it certainly is - but because it's just not my cup of tea. It does feel more comfortable, but it doesn't make me grin, and that is very important to me. I hated the looks of the E60 when it was released, but when I drove one I was hooked, and the looks grew on me. I don't dislike the F10's looks (not very adventurous, but after all the criticism of the Bangle years, I see why BMW have toned things down) but just didn't get it when I drove it.And that's a problem for BMW, because while it's just my opinion, I may have to take my money somewhere else. The thing is that in the past if I wanted a high-end saloon that put driving dynamics front and center there was only one real choice. But now, BMW have forced me to think of my next car as a sporting luxury saloon rather than a luxury sports saloon, and in doing so invite me to consider all the other sporting luxury saloons, of which there are many. Simply put, if I'm buying luxury, why would I put BMW at the top of the list, because the current Jags, Lexus and maybe even Merc, do it just as well or better?
Me thrashing? I think this forum is known much more for the F10 being thrashed check this out.

As regards the "objective bantering" between Shebs and I, do you have objections to this??

As for the E60 550i vs the f10 550i https://5series.net/forums/topic/105...st__p__1256832

Good ending, which is the king in this class and for which engine? Jag, Lexus, Audi or the Merc?
Old 10-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Members

ps is it the Jag? https://5series.net/forums/topic/104...st__p__1248479

Quick Reply: Ok e60 vs f10 the showdown lol