F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Ok e60 vs f10 the showdown lol

Old 10-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now this should hopefully be as unbiased as possible to stop people from complaining and moaning and fighting...
e60
+ great driving dynamics
+ incredibly advanced at time of release
+ controversial but striking looks that are still not outdated

- rfts were unbearable :/
- some hated the bold looks
- iDrive was a bit tricky
- disappointing crash test results

the f10
+ awesome compromise of handling and comfort
+ much more comfortable and luxurious than the e60
+ efficient dynamics incorporation have improved c02 and mpg figures
+ many first gen technologies (eg iDrive) improved
+ more conservative looks may appeal to a larger audience

- safe styling could become outdated?
- heavier and less sprightly than before
- electric steering lacks a little feedback
- oh yh and the basic car without ddc, adaptive drive, etc might have lost its sporting edge, expensive options improve the driving experience

overall bmw have improved an already awesome design, theres no need in comparing them because the f10 is 7 years newer!
companies like bmw dont cock up and imo they have most certainly not.

the f10 simply takes all the negatives with the e60 (its ride and controversial technologies and looks) and simply given the public a car that is easy on the eye, more comfortable and still has that bmw dna. In doing so i feel that they could have lost some die hard fans of the old e60 ways...

the jag xf... is heavier and a more comfortable cruiser but not as engaging to drive
the mb e class... is the same as above
the audi a6... has an unbearable ride and a weird driving position and is a bit old now
the infiniti whateveryoucallit... is a nissan
the lexus gs... is a toyota and is ugly as hell

the 5er is meant to capture the sprightly essence of the 3 series and the comfort and luxury of the 7. the f10 does that well enough, why complain??? i mean no one complained when the e60 came out ... oh wait...
Old 10-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 535i Titanium Silver (F10)

for enthusiastic drivers the e60 is probably better but the f10 is still much better than the competition
Old 10-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by Scudeyyy
now this should hopefully be as unbiased as possible to stop people from complaining and moaning and fighting...
e60
+ great driving dynamics
+ incredibly advanced at time of release
+ controversial but striking looks that are still not outdated

- rfts were unbearable :/
- some hated the bold looks
- iDrive was a bit tricky
- disappointing crash test results

the f10
+ awesome compromise of handling and comfort
+ much more comfortable and luxurious than the e60
+ efficient dynamics incorporation have improved c02 and mpg figures
+ many first gen technologies (eg iDrive) improved
+ more conservative looks may appeal to a larger audience

- safe styling could become outdated?
- heavier and less sprightly than before
- electric steering lacks a little feedback
- oh yh and the basic car without ddc, adaptive drive, etc might have lost its sporting edge, expensive options improve the driving experience

overall bmw have improved an already awesome design, theres no need in comparing them because the f10 is 7 years newer!
companies like bmw dont cock up and imo they have most certainly not.

the f10 simply takes all the negatives with the e60 (its ride and controversial technologies and looks) and simply given the public a car that is easy on the eye, more comfortable and still has that bmw dna. In doing so i feel that they could have lost some die hard fans of the old e60 ways...

the jag xf... is heavier and a more comfortable cruiser but not as engaging to drive
the audi a6... has an unbearable ride and a weird driving position and is a bit old now

the 5er is meant to capture the sprightly essence of the 3 series and the comfort and luxury of the 7. the f10 does that well enough, why complain??? i mean no one complained when the e60 came out ... oh wait...

Well said. Good summary.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Car

The only difference I found in the iDrive was a larger screen on the f10, otherwise the same system. My previous 07 e60 had a horrible iDrive compared to the 2010.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Scudeyyy
The F10 550 is actually considerably heavier than the comparable XF, Mercedes E550 and Audi A6.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by swajames
The F10 550 is actually considerably heavier than the comparable XF, Mercedes E550 and Audi A6.
The F10 550i may be heavier but the issue is what's the ratio of power to weight, with distribution of power and overall performance, drive and handling.

In CAR magazine, the F10 came out top in comparison to the XF, Merc and Audi.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by bm323
The F10 550i may be heavier but the issue is what's the ratio of power to weight, with distribution of power and overall performance, drive and handling.

In CAR magazine, the F10 came out top in comparison to the XF, Merc and Audi.
True, but which car comes out on top in any given test or which car is "better" will always be a subjective determination. Which car is heaviest or lightest is, of course, a matter of fact. The weight gain is important and is frequently raised here on the forum as the E60 went to great lengths to control weight, the F10 much less so. As Colin Chapman used to say, the key to making a car faster and handle better is to "add lightness". Gordon Murray's philosophy is absolutely identical. I can't put it any simpler than to say that if one were able to take the excess 400lbs out of the F10, it would probably address the vast majority of the criticism and concerns that we've seen here on the forum.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Members

True, but which car comes out on top in any given test or which car is "better" will always be a subjective determination. Which car is heaviest or lightest is, of course, a matter of fact. The weight gain is important and is frequently raised here on the forum as the E60 went to great lengths to control weight, the F10 much less so. As Colin Chapman used to say, the key to making a car faster and handle better is to "add lightness". Gordon Murray's philosophy is absolutely identical. I can't put it any simpler than to say that if one were able to take the excess 400lbs out of the F10, it would probably address the vast majority of the criticism and concerns that we've seen here on the forum.
True, but the gain of weight can be more than compensated by the superior engine, drivetrain, chassis etc Plus the weight gain is likely contributed by required and designed safety features, which if one is involved in an accident with the family in the F10, he wouldn't be complaining about the 400 lbs weight gain. As I've said, if handling is overriding, the Lotus is amongst the top. But looking at a Lotus, I would dread to be in an accident when in it.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bm323
True, but the gain of weight can be more than compensated by the superior engine, drivetrain, chassis etc Plus the weight gain is likely contributed by required and designed safety features, which if one is involved in an accident with the family in the F10, he wouldn't be complaining about the 400 lbs weight gain. As I've said, if handling is overriding, the Lotus is amongst the top. But looking at a Lotus, I would dread to be in an accident when in it.
Again, though, there is a counterpoint. The other car that recently won five stars along with the 2011 F10 in the revised NCAP tests was the Hyundai Sonata. It weighs over 1000lbs less than the 550. The point is that safety and the ability to survive a crash is a function of far more than just weight, it is essentially a by-product of good design. BMW scored very well with the F10, but as the Sonata shows it is possible to score equally well with a much lighter car.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Members

Again, though, there is a counterpoint. The other car that recently won five stars along with the 2011 F10 in the revised NCAP tests was the Hyundai Sonata. It weighs over 1000lbs less than the 550. The point is that safety and the ability to survive a crash is a function of far more than just weight, it is essentially a by-product of good design. BMW scored very well with the F10, but as the Sonata shows it is possible to score equally well with a much lighter car.
True, but the BMW 5 series is a heavy car. The E60 is 400 lbs lighter only and is comparatively miserable compared to the F10 in safety.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ok e60 vs f10 the showdown lol