F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Ok e60 vs f10 the showdown lol

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 02:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535i wagon

Originally Posted by bm323
True, but the BMW 5 series is a heavy car. The E60 is 400 lbs lighter only and is comparatively miserable compared to the F10 in safety.
Let's exercise caution about jumping to the conclusion that crash test results have a strong correlation with real world safety. One can design a car to do well in the IIHS crash tests and NHTSA tests that may not fare as well in other crash scenarios more common in the real world. There are studies of real world crash data that suggest the correlation between test crash safety ratings and safety in actual crashes is uncertain for many vehicles.

BMW had questioned the validity of some of the crash test data for early E60 models. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...-test-row.html

Stating the E60 is comparatively miserable in safety is not an objective assessment. It would be accurate to state the F10 fares better in certain crash test studies than the E60. Real world safety is more difficult to quantify and depends upon numerous factors.

I for one feel safer in my E61 than in many cars that may get better crash ratings. There are numerous testimonials from E60 owners that walked away from serious crashes with minimal injuries that evidence the comparative safety. I hope the F10 driver's experience with safety is as good or better than with the E60, but time, not crash test data, will tell.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:18 AM
Members

although that is true mike, euro ncap try and simulate as many different crash tests as possible (front impact, side impact, rear, pole test, etc) and recently they have made the tests much harder than before. In the easier test the e60 got a 4 star rating the new f10 in the tougher test got 95%, making it one of the safest cars on the road.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

People are ignoring simple physical facts just to prove that newer is better in everything.

Ok, newer is better and BMW knows what they are doing.

I am really tired.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63

e60 vs f10 threads are so overrated. lol
Old 10-20-2010, 08:48 AM
Banned

F10 is better in any respect.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Real world safety experience:

A few months after I got my E60 I was driving at night and hit a patch of black ice while making a turn. The car broke sideways for a split second before the DSC kicked in. I swear it felt like a giant hand grabbed the car and made it go in the direction it was supposed to.
Can the F10 do this? I'm very sure it can - but unless it can wipe my ass and change my boxer-briefs immediately afterward, it can't do it any BETTER.

I'm not too interested in crash safety test scores, especially since in the U.S., there is a better than fair chance you will get plowed into by a big ass SUV or Truck. If car manufacturers posted data resulting from these type of impacts none of them would have anything to brag about......except maybe Volvo. What DOES interest me is how quickly and well the car can be pushed to AVOID an accident. And specifics such as weight and handling play a role here.

The comment about Infiniti being a Nissan is completely assinine. The Maxima with the right options is a very capable sports sedan in its own right. The GTR's history goes back far longer than the "M". And quite frankly, BMW could learn a lesson or two from Nissan on how to make a reliable TT engine - they built a more powerful equivalent to the N54 TWENTY YEARS AGO.

Am I saying any of this to spite the F10??? NO!!!! But I have yet to find a resason to give the F10 serious consideration at this point - somebody please play that famous U2 song
Until I do, I will wait patiently until the 4 door 6er hits the showroom.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i wagon

Originally Posted by Scudeyyy
although that is true mike, euro ncap try and simulate as many different crash tests as possible (front impact, side impact, rear, pole test, etc) and recently they have made the tests much harder than before. In the easier test the e60 got a 4 star rating the new f10 in the tougher test got 95%, making it one of the safest cars on the road.
At euroncap.com web page the FAQ includes the following question and answer:
"Why not carry out a wider range of tests?
It is the duty of manufacturers to design and test cars to meet the full range of accidents. The Euro NCAP tests cover an important range of accidents. A well-designed car will perform well in the Euro NCAP tests, and one that does badly is less likely to provide adequate protection in a real life crash."

This quote seems to support my opinion that these tests, even if more comprehensive than in the past, simulate a selected range of accidents. Whether a car designed to provide best results in selected crash tests will demonstrate superior performance in the full range of crash scenarios that may occur in real life is a logical leap that Euro NCAP's own web page does not make. My point is to keep these test results in the proper context.

I have more confidence in conclusions on safety from real world crash. One of the reasons for Volvo's safety reputation is the number of real world crashes investigated, now at more than 40,000. http://motortorque.askaprice.com/new...ches-40000.asp
Old 10-20-2010, 07:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pukka

A few months after I got my E60 I was driving at night and hit a patch of black ice while making a turn. The car broke sideways for a split second before the DSC kicked in. I swear it felt like a giant hand grabbed the car and made it go in the direction it was supposed to.
Can the F10 do this? I'm very sure it can - but unless it can wipe my ass and change my boxer-briefs immediately afterward, it can't do it any BETTER.

I'm not too interested in crash safety test scores, especially since in the U.S., there is a better than fair chance you will get plowed into by a big ass SUV or Truck. If car manufacturers posted data resulting from these type of impacts none of them would have anything to brag about......except maybe Volvo. What DOES interest me is how quickly and well the car can be pushed to AVOID an accident. And specifics such as weight and handling play a role here.

The comment about Infiniti being a Nissan is completely assinine. The Maxima with the right options is a very capable sports sedan in its own right. The GTR's history goes back far longer than the "M". And quite frankly, BMW could learn a lesson or two from Nissan on how to make a reliable TT engine - they built a more powerful equivalent to the N54 TWENTY YEARS AGO.

Am I saying any of this to spite the F10??? NO!!!! But I have yet to find a resason to give the F10 serious consideration at this point - somebody please play that famous U2 song
Until I do, I will wait patiently until the 4 door 6er hits the showroom.
It is better to have good crash safety test scores then weak ones. Only logical, especially if one has children in the car. Arguing against this is foolish ie asinine.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pukka

Good for you.

More than 10 years ago, I was in a Japanese 1600 cc car and its system saved me and I got away without any personal injury. I told myself that no car in this world then or that can ever be manufactured in 100 years will do better. You accept this?
Old 10-20-2010, 07:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Michiganmike
Let's exercise caution about jumping to the conclusion that crash test results have a strong correlation with real world safety. One can design a car to do well in the IIHS crash tests and NHTSA tests that may not fare as well in other crash scenarios more common in the real world. There are studies of real world crash data that suggest the correlation between test crash safety ratings and safety in actual crashes is uncertain for many vehicles.

BMW had questioned the validity of some of the crash test data for early E60 models. http://www.telegraph...h-test-row.html

Stating the E60 is comparatively miserable in safety is not an objective assessment. It would be accurate to state the F10 fares better in certain crash test studies than the E60. Real world safety is more difficult to quantify and depends upon numerous factors.

I for one feel safer in my E61 than in many cars that may get better crash ratings. There are numerous testimonials from E60 owners that walked away from serious crashes with minimal injuries that evidence the comparative safety. I hope the F10 driver's experience with safety is as good or better than with the E60, but time, not crash test data, will tell.
Your own feelings of safety in your E61 are far more subjective than IIHS crash tests and NHTSA tests.

Quick Reply: Ok e60 vs f10 the showdown lol