F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

No MT for 550i?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

Anyone else notice this? Does this mean you can't get a 550i 6-speed MT?

No MT for 550i?-6_mt.png
Old 12-21-2009, 08:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bedford530i' post='1077640' date='Dec 21 2009, 09:28 AM

Attachment 96208
No.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bedford530i' post='1077640' date='Dec 21 2009, 11:28 AM
It's from the British brochure. BMW North America has announced that a 6-speed manual will be available in the US 550. It looks like it's the only market where that combination will be offered.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='1077739' date='Dec 21 2009, 03:48 PM
It's from the British brochure. BMW North America has announced that a 6-speed manual will be available in the US 550. It looks like it's the only market where that combination will be offered.
Good to know. Thanks!
Old 12-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Funny, while in Iraq earlier in the year I was searching for my 550i. Originally I wanted a 5 sp MT, but was talked out of it by an AAFES car sales guy on base in Taji who was from England. He sold BMWs in Germany for years before volunteering for this job.

He swore up and down that the SAT on the new BMW's was by far the best ever, and would be quicker than the MT for MOST drivers who are not professionals or who don't spend time on the track or practicing daily.

Seems, from discussions with him, that the rest of the world is going AT. This just verifies his assessment.

By the way, I couldn't be happier with my choice, SAT!
Old 12-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bha7176' post='1078312' date='Dec 22 2009, 01:01 PM
Funny, while in Iraq earlier in the year I was searching for my 550i. Originally I wanted a 5 sp MT, but was talked out of it by an AAFES car sales guy on base in Taji who was from England. He sold BMWs in Germany for years before volunteering for this job.

He swore up and down that the SAT on the new BMW's was by far the best ever, and would be quicker than the MT for MOST drivers who are not professionals or who don't spend time on the track or practicing daily.

Seems, from discussions with him, that the rest of the world is going AT. This just verifies his assessment.

In the "old days", we loved manual transmissions because they were faster than automatics, they forced us to be more vicerally connected to the car and the driving experience and they required a developed driving skill. Today, many of the auto-manuals - and even some of the pure automatics - can shift faster than a pure manual. But the viceral connection and the driving skill just isn't there.

I'm willing to give up speed for (what is for me) a better driving experience. I think that's why BMW put (a shitty) manual in the US market's E60 M5 and will put a manual in the US F10 550.

But I also understand that for others, "the need for speed" is paramount. I only wish that the choice wasn't going away. I've been driving manuals for 35 years (I'm 51) and I'm certain that the time will come - maybe soon - when I will no longer have that choice.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by bha7176' post='1078312' date='Dec 22 2009, 01:01 PM

I have a Steptronic in my 550i Sport which has the same transmission parts (but different software and exterior controls) as the SAT. I am still very surprised by how fast the Step shifts both in full automatic and manual modes. During our meets, I keep it in manual mode and it always astonishes me how well and fast it performs. But, of course, any automatic won't give the driver the same visceral/sensory connection to the car.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:30 AM
Senior Members

I'm not really into measuring how fast I can go from 0-60... I enjoy driving - heel and toe, rev-matching, etc.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by bha7176' post='1078312
But the viceral connection and the driving skill just isn't there.
I don't see what pushing a clutch and shifting have to do with driving skills. Driving is much more than just shifting. It's about paying attention to your surroundings, it's about hard braking before entering the apex and knowing when and where to enter it. It's about steering yourself out of trouble and many things. Had the technology been in place, back in the day, they would have never made MT. Can you imagine an airplane pilot complaining that flying is not all that fun because he can't shift his airplane?

Originally Posted by Bedford530i' post='1078819' date='Dec 23 2009, 08:30 AM
I'm not really into measuring how fast I can go from 0-60... I enjoy driving - heel and toe, rev-matching, etc.
Heel and toe, rev matching, etc. were skills learned out of necessity to compensate for the shortcomings of earlier transmission/engine synchronization. They weren't skills learned for the hell of it. Today's MTs don't even require it any more, but people still do it because it gives them a feeling of superior driving skills. Whatever rocks their boat. That's silly. If people wanted to stay true to the motoring experience, they should clamor for crank handles to start their cars, or window handles to raise their windows or the little handle thing to operate their wipers. How about asking for actual candles for exterior lighting instead of HIDs, or a rubber bulb for horn?

Like it or not, this is progress. Today we have computers, but you can't say I am not a good typist because I don't have a handle to physically slide to the left to go to the beginning of the line. Some people still refuse to use computers (those are the ones who are being left behind) and look how well they are doing.......
Old 12-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Before synchromesh gears in MT the better drivers knew how to "double" clutch to get the engine/gear mesh without the gggrrriiinnnddd. I did that for years even after I had a modern MT. But the knees became a weak link for me so I went the way of the AT. But I use manual shift mode probably 95% of the time as I think I am better than the computer (EGS). I do want to be in the power band coming out of a turn as I think I know the "situation" and whats required. I am waiting now for the DCT which will be my next tranny in the F12/13

Quick Reply: No MT for 550i?