F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

New 535iX MSport and slightly disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 05:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 535iX MSport

Well, my new car was delivered yesterday -- Dark Graphite Metallic, Black Nappa interior, M-Sport and loaded....LOVE the car, enhancements over my 2008 535xi (I do miss the stick), but was VERY disappointed when I found out that this car has the OLD iPod adapter -- Y-cable!!!! In fact, the car didn't come with the adapter cable, and I had to take it from my old 535 and the dealer told me they were back-ordered. WTF???

I guess I don't understand -- the car was ordered on October 23rd and was completed production November 10th, so why did I get the old adapter??? From the BMW memo posted in this forum:

"iPod/USB Adapter

· iPod One-wire integration: The iPod connection no longer requires the ?Y-cable? for separate aux-input for sound. The iPod USB cable supplied with the iPod is all that is required to connect the device to the vehicle. The music is transferred directly from the iPod digitally to the sound system via the USB connection.· Album Cover Art: If cover art is contained in the metadata of a particular song, it will show on the vehicle display while the song is played.· Voice Control of Devices: The driver can control external devices and select genre, artist, album, and song title with the voice control system included with Navigation System."

It's amazing how such a small thing can change what should have been a great day to one where I felt less than thrilled.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JoeKube
Well, my new car was delivered yesterday -- Dark Graphite Metallic, Black Nappa interior, M-Sport and loaded....LOVE the car, enhancements over my 2008 535xi (I do miss the stick), but was VERY disappointed when I found out that this car has the OLD iPod adapter -- Y-cable!!!! In fact, the car didn't come with the adapter cable, and I had to take it from my old 535 and the dealer told me they were back-ordered. WTF???

I guess I don't understand -- the car was ordered on October 23rd and was completed production November 10th, so why did I get the old adapter??? From the BMW memo posted in this forum:

"iPod/USB Adapter

· iPod One-wire integration: The iPod connection no longer requires the ?Y-cable? for separate aux-input for sound. The iPod USB cable supplied with the iPod is all that is required to connect the device to the vehicle. The music is transferred directly from the iPod digitally to the sound system via the USB connection.· Album Cover Art: If cover art is contained in the metadata of a particular song, it will show on the vehicle display while the song is played.· Voice Control of Devices: The driver can control external devices and select genre, artist, album, and song title with the voice control system included with Navigation System."

It's amazing how such a small thing can change what should have been a great day to one where I felt less than thrilled.
Hmmm that's pretty odd ... are you saying there is no USB port ?? Or that you don't have the USB cable that came with your IPod?

OH - BTW Congrats on the new ride ...
Old 12-24-2010, 06:01 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: M3
Model Year: 2017

"iPod/USB Adapter

Unless I'm reading your post wrong, you answered your own question: 09/10-on production with the 6FL option (iPod/USB adapter) no longer include the black BMW iPod cable in the USA as it is not required anymore. Use your white Apple iPod USB cable instead.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Technic
Unless I'm reading your post wrong, you answered your own question: 09/10-on production with the 6FL option (iPod/USB adapter) no longer include the black BMW iPod cable in the USA as it is not required anymore. Use your white Apple iPod USB cable instead.

+1 Try the white iPod cable. The connections in the center console (at least on my M3) appear the same with the USB and Aux In ports but you only use the white cable which came with the iPod...
Old 12-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Members

Since no cable now comes with car, I understand some dealers have been still adding the y cable. Just use your iphone or ipod cable and plug in USB port in center console.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535iX MSport

Yep -- thanks folks -- posted on the other forum and that's the answer -- use a vanilla iPod cable and everything is great! What set me off I guess was my dealership telling me to take the Y-cable from my old car since the new cables were backordered! I told him that I thought the post-October production didn't need the Y-cable, but he told me that I was wrong. Car is sweet! Out in 6" of fresh snow last night with my Dunlop SP3 snows and it handled better than my 2008 535xi did.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Yep -- thanks folks -- posted on the other forum and that's the answer -- use a vanilla iPod cable and everything is great! What set me off I guess was my dealership telling me to take the Y-cable from my old car since the new cables were backordered! I told him that I thought the post-October production didn't need the Y-cable, but he told me that I was wrong. Car is sweet! Out in 6" of fresh snow last night with my Dunlop SP3 snows and it handled better than my 2008 535xi did.
Glad you've got it sorted. It continues to amaze me how poorly informed/trained the dealers are about the cars they sell!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Contributors

Just confirmed on my 550i F10 M Sport and as stated works perfectlly

(After some initial iDrive confusion on my part )

New 535iX MSport and slightly disappointed-ipod.jpg
New 535iX MSport and slightly disappointed-fourplay.jpg
Old 01-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol
Glad you've got it sorted. It continues to amaze me how poorly informed/trained the dealers are about the cars they sell!
+1
Old 01-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

But do DRM tracks play as well? And do you see playlists?

Quick Reply: New 535iX MSport and slightly disappointed