F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Likes and Dislikes

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am the happy owner of an E60 for the last seven years and and plan to give it up for the F10. Can anyone who as already done the same comment on the likes and dislikes of the new F10 compared to their old E60?? Thanks.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Members

My Ride: f10 520da - 328 wheels, ambient lighting, sport s-wheel, oyster/black, fineline anthracite, Sophisto Gray

Originally Posted by 1bkarrow
I am the happy owner of an E60 for the last seven years and and plan to give it up for the F10. Can anyone who as already done the same comment on the likes and dislikes of the new F10 compared to their old E60?? Thanks.

Hi, never had an E60 but bought an F10 because it's a lovely place to sit in traffic on the M25. Overall the car is fantastic, almost faultless apart from 2 major issues

1. the passenger seatbelt buckle taps on the hard plastic trim every now and then
2. there's nowhere to put coins so they sometimes rattle on crappy roads

I spent 6 hours in the car today, boring, but got home feeling ok. Got 24 on popmaster too!

Dive in, the water's great!
Old 01-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Members

My Ride: f10 520da - 328 wheels, ambient lighting, sport s-wheel, oyster/black, fineline anthracite, Sophisto Gray

oh, and make sure you get the ambient lighting. Smashing
Old 01-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

My last E60 was a '05 545i Sport.

My take:

--my F10 550i has TONS more luxury and gadgets: better seats, way better interior, more room, better fit-and-finish, better dash layout, better i-Drive, better NAV screen....no contest here compared to the E60

--the F10 550i has much more power (esp. torque). No contest as far as acceleration and passing.

--Handling is roughly the same (at least to me, although more people think the E60 is better). There are instances when I put the car in Sport/Sport+ modes, it handles like it's on rails.

--The F10 has better ride quality (due to longer wheelbase and adjustable dampers).

--For me, the only dislike is that the F10 feels slighty heavy at times (because it is!) but the huge amount of torque in the 550i more than makes up for it in my opinion.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535iX MSport

Former car was a 2008 535xi that was pretty much loaded; new ride is a 2011 535iX MSport -- also pretty much loaded.

Like:
  • The new look with MSport package is awesome -- has turned many heads and I get asked what kind of BMW is it
  • As noted above, the ambient lighting is much more obvious
  • New content on idrive is nice with more information available
  • Love the nappa leather; soft as a glove
  • Blind spot detection is a nice addition
  • 4-zone climate for my passengers in the back seat -- I never ride back there, but the wives love it when we go out and it's 68 in the front for the men, and 74 for the women in the back
  • New lighted outside door handles
  • Pure white corona lights
  • New 3D Perspective navigational maps, and the ability to display increments down to 100'

Dislike:
  • I miss the side bolsters on the sport seats -- they used to hug me when I got into the car, but despite being noted in the owner's manual, they don't exist on the 2011 model (I'm guessing they'll be back as an "enhancement" in a future model
  • No 6-speed stick. I like driving a stick, and with the AWD version, I had no choice
  • Layout of the drivers door handle/console. I prefer the sloping down and handle versus the new setup
  • No "autostore" on the radio to find stations in areas outside my local one (or at least I can't find how to do it)
  • While the new idrive content is nice, I really don't like all the buttons. the old system was common-sense -- forward for communications, right for nav, left for climate, back for entertainment. I find myself taking my eyes off the road now and then when I'm looking for the right button. I'm sure I'll figure it out, but...
  • Why can't BMW set the date/time from GPS satellites??? I can't believe that in 2011, I still need to set the damn clock!!! And it should also reset itself for DST as well as when I drive into different time-zones
  • I miss my Comfort Access -- but I couldn't see paying the same now ($1,000) for functionality that is now part free (keyless ignigition) and only lock/unlock. My wife's Sienna has free comfort access!
That's all I can think of now. Absolutely love the car! You won't be disappointed.