F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Jaguar XF is the other reason F10 may be out in March 2009

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames' post='546851' date='Mar 18 2008, 08:23 AM
Trouble is all manufacturers do this. How much of the CS concept with be retained once cars based on it go into production? To give Jag some credit it is only the headlights and wheels that are markedly different on the concept vs the production XF, and the ALC concept accurately previewed 95% of the production XK.

Most changes are due to regulatory/Safety issues such as the new EU pedestrian safety regs as well as crash testing etc..
Also some shapes can not be tooled easily for mass production and hence the compromise
All said I think Jaguar have done a credible job
Old 03-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='546851' date='Mar 18 2008, 06:23 AM
Trouble is all manufacturers do this. How much of the CS concept with be retained once cars based on it go into production? To give Jag some credit it is only the headlights and wheels that are markedly different on the concept vs the production XF, and the ALC concept accurately previewed 95% of the production XK.
But the headlights absolutely kill the whole look. It looks american, almost like it belongs in a rental car lot.

Even the the Brits are not feeling the XF front end. Jeremy from Top Gear and the recent Fifth Gear review both were very disappointed by the frontend/headlights.

I was paying close attention to this car, then I went to see it at the LA Auto Show. I couldn't believe how disappointed I was.

Clarkson quote:
"Had there been no concept car, I would never have known how good the XF could look. But there was, so I?m sorry but as a styling exercise the finished product just doesn?t float my boat."

I couldn't agree more with his remarks.

They had a winner with the car they were bringing to all the car shows(pic below), not the bland production version. Using the regulatory/Safety issues as an excuse, doesn't fly. They messed up, thats all there is to it.
Attached Thumbnails Jaguar XF is the other reason F10 may be out in March 2009-xf.jpg  
Old 03-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by swajames' post='546530' date='Mar 17 2008, 05:40 PM
Not yet it isn't. It is still in Ford's hands. In fact, as of this week, the Tata deal was said to be in doubt due to concerns over future engine supply.

As for how the Brits run a business, we do just fine. The world's 4th largest company is British. The highest ranked Australian company on the Fortune Global 500 is 205th, and there are only 7 other Australian companies below it on the list. In fact, the combined revenue from the all of the largest Australian businesses from the Fortune Global 500 is significantly less than the largest British company.
Go get em !!
Old 03-22-2008, 02:48 AM
Members

In the UK, the Jaguar XF has beaten the BMW 5 Series in a group test organised by 'What Car', the UK's leading motoring magazine.

Unfortunately, the test was biased, as although the test was meant to be against a 5 Series SE model, they actually used an M-Sport and criticised the harsh ride caused by the sports suspension and larger alloys. If they had used an SE model, I think it would have been a closer contest.

I am put off the XF for 2 reasons. Primarily, the looks. Whilst the rear is a copy of Aston Martin (and looks fabulous for it) the front is pure Hyundai. I think Jaguar have lost their way on styling. They are right to 'modernise' but have done it all wrong. I do wonder if their design team have moved from Hyundai as in addition to the XF, the new XK is pure Hyundai Coupe. Had they stuck with the front of the XF concept then I might have been interested.

The second issue for me is that they are making a great fuss about pointless innovations. Why do air vents need to open and close electronically when you never touch them after day 1 of owning the car! Also, why does the start / stop button need to 'pulse' and the gear selector 'rise out of the console'? Looks great on a TV ad, but completely pointless in real life.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by UK 5 Series' post='548988' date='Mar 22 2008, 03:48 AM
In the UK, the Jaguar XF has beaten the BMW 5 Series in a group test organised by 'What Car', the UK's leading motoring magazine.

Unfortunately, the test was biased, as although the test was meant to be against a 5 Series SE model, they actually used an M-Sport and criticised the harsh ride caused by the sports suspension and larger alloys. If they had used an SE model, I think it would have been a closer contest.

I am put off the XF for 2 reasons. Primarily, the looks. Whilst the rear is a copy of Aston Martin (and looks fabulous for it) the front is pure Hyundai. I think Jaguar have lost their way on styling. They are right to 'modernise' but have done it all wrong. I do wonder if their design team have moved from Hyundai as in addition to the XF, the new XK is pure Hyundai Coupe. Had they stuck with the front of the XF concept then I might have been interested.

The second issue for me is that they are making a great fuss about pointless innovations. Why do air vents need to open and close electronically when you never touch them after day 1 of owning the car! Also, why does the start / stop button need to 'pulse' and the gear selector 'rise out of the console'? Looks great on a TV ad, but completely pointless in real life.
In most cases the manufacturers provide the cars for testing so how is it biased if that's the car BMW chose to submit? You'll find most of the US posters here would have taken the reverse position and claimed the test was biased against the BMW if they had tested a non sport model (SE) when the XF comes with a sportier setup as standard. Bottom line is the XF is a newer car than the E60, it's a good product and it's winning plenty of tests. Top Gear magazine also rate the XF very highly and every single US auto magazine that has tested the XF likes it too. There hasn't been a single negative review.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='549030' date='Mar 22 2008, 02:54 PM
In most cases the manufacturers provide the cars for testing so how is it biased if that's the car BMW chose to submit? You'll find most of the US posters here would have taken the reverse position and claimed the test was biased against the BMW if they had tested a non sport model (SE) when the XF comes with a sportier setup as standard. Bottom line is the XF is a newer car than the E60, it's a good product and it's winning plenty of tests. Top Gear magazine also rate the XF very highly and every single US auto magazine that has tested the XF likes it too. There hasn't been a single negative review.
You make a fair point, however the BMW seemed to lose the test due to it's 'harsh' ride on sports suspension / big alloys and I can't help but feel that against an SE model with standard suspension and 17" alloys it might have been closer.

As a Brit, I'd love the XF to be a great car and let's hope it is. I had always longed for a Jaguar, but having driven X-Types, S-Types, an XJ8 and even an XKR, I have always been disappointed with their ride and handling. IMHO, they have, for many years, made the most beautiful cars in the world (Aston Martin aside), but the driving experience has never matched it.

I can't help but feel that motoring journalists sometimes get carried away with something 'new' with some 'boys toys' in it.

Personally, I don't think the XF will be a massive seller in the UK as Jaguar have made a poor job of the CO2 emissions and it would cost a business driver a lot more to run it than comparable cars.

The good news for E60 drivers will be that BMW will need to up their game for its replacement and that can only benefit us - especially in Europe where we pay twice the price that you do in the US for a car with less standard equipment! My new 525i with a good (but not excessive) level of kit will be $76,000 equivalent.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='546530' date='Mar 17 2008, 03:40 PM
Not yet it isn't. It is still in Ford's hands. In fact, as of this week, the Tata deal was said to be in doubt due to concerns over future engine supply.

As for how the Brits run a business, we do just fine. The world's 4th largest company is British. The highest ranked Australian company on the Fortune Global 500 is 205th, and there are only 7 other Australian companies below it on the list. In fact, the combined revenue from the all of the largest Australian businesses from the Fortune Global 500 is significantly less than the largest British company.
Ford set to announce sale of Jaguar, Land Rover to Tata on Wednesday

Could the protracted sale of Jaguar and Land Rover from Ford to Tata finally be coming to an end? After learning last week that Tata has secured the financing required to make the deal possible, reports are coming from London's Financial Times suggesting that the official announcement of the sale, reportedly worth $2 billion, could come as soon as on Wednesday, when Jaguar workers return to work after enjoying their Easter holiday. This sale, of course, follows up Ford's sale of Aston Martin, leaving a lonely Volvo as the only company left of Ford's Premium Automotive Group.

Details of the deal include Tata's assurance that they will continue to buy engines from Ford for Jaguar and Land Rover and Ford's continuing to contribute to the pension fund of both marques.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/24/ford-se...o-tata-on-wedne
Old 03-25-2008, 08:23 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I drove the 2009 XF Premium yesterday ($55k). They also have the Luxury ($49k) and a Supercharged ($62k) version as well.

As compared to the E60- The rear seat is a little bigger, the trunk is bigger. The engine sound is fantastic, a deep throaty sound. Steering is quick and the body does not lean much in turns. The brakes are very responsive. The car moves quickly, the Luxury and Premium has a 310 hp/ 300 ft lbs V8. The Supercharged version, which I did not drive, has 420 hp/ 408 ft lbs.
The car looks great in the interior and from the side and back outside. Not crazy about the "jag" chrome grill in front but they said that a brushed stainless one will be available.

For people that buy their cars this will be real competition to the E60 and E350/550. The big negative for leasing is that the residual on a 36 month lease is now 51%, I think on my 535i it is 64% and on the 550 is 60%. That makes a similar priced XF $150 more costly per month vs. a 550 on a lease and $217 more costly per month than a similarly priced 535.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

If BMW try and bring out the F10 next year, then there will be 1000 of bugs in the computer.
Just like MS vista
I think they sould get the car to at lest 80% bug free before they ship it out.
For me I always wait for a year or so before buying the new car so that after market has made mod parts for it. and of couse bug free.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:48 AM
Banned

Oneword, number, whatever you want to call it..... M5.
There this thread is done. I know it does not belong in the same class as the Jaguar XF Supercharged but who cares about a Jaguar, who cares if the interior is more clean cut, if it has a deep throaty engine sound, is a Jaguar. I dont care how nice it is Ill have to be crazy to buy a Jaguar over a BMW I tested the BMW M3 at a Jaguar Dealer, I tested The Jaguar XF and the only thing I like was NOTHING. I did not get the M3, which sucks becuase dam that car is fast, so I just went crossed the street to the BMW dealership and got me 545i.

You want to hear the funny thing it was a saturday when I bought my 545i I was at the Jaguar Dealership checking out the M3 and it was empty only sells man and me. And when I went accross the to the BMW dealership man was it packed I could not get a salesman till like 30 minutes after I had been there, which was ok I was just admiring the new M3 they had inside. I felt sorry for the Jaguar dealership. I went in at the BMW dealership around 12pm got out of there around 630pm thats how busy it was.
Common BMW owners stand up for your car.
Like they say every new car that comes out has to be compare to a BMW becuase they Are "The Ultimate Driving MAchine"

Quick Reply: Jaguar XF is the other reason F10 may be out in March 2009