F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Got an F10 as a loaner yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by Petes550i
Besides, I rather have buttons to activate a function quicker than to fiddle with a huge knob and go through silly menu screens to get what I want.
There's no fiddling, either click the knob once to get to new menus or hold for 2 secs to get to the last menu stored in memory. Plus there were also 6 programmable buttons on the center console to use as shortcuts.

I'm not knocking the F10 in this regard. The F10 iDrive is very similar to the Audi MMI when it first came out, and I actually preferred their setup over BMW. I'm poking fun at some of the hypocracy that exists in this forum - and before you even get started I was NOT specifically referring to you. Then again, if the shoe fits........
Old 10-19-2010, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by bha7176
um, yes there are. the slide for temp control is back, the adjustment of climate control dispersion are back (head, mid, leg), there are now what, like 6 buttons surrounding the knob on idrive, and a few other ones that I can't recall right now.

wow....6 more buttons......how in the world are people going to have the time to get to know those?
Old 10-19-2010, 08:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

I didn't say they couldn't, just that it had more to which you quickly replied that it didn't.

Also, if you actually read my post I didn't say that I didn't like the new buttons (I actually prefer a more futuristic button heavy interior), I said that it looked nice. However the point was if that is what people are saying makes it more luxurious (or the additional ambient lighting on the doors and in the rear), I don't get it (I'll ask my wife as she did said it seemed more luxury than sport inside).
Old 10-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Straight from my wifes mouth,

"Your steering is definitely tighter, which automatically feels sportier. While the seats in both are comfy, it?s for difft reasons ... The 2011 seats are bigger and more plush; yours are more ?snug?. There?s something about the larger size of the new one that lends a more luxurious feel. The only thing I can compare it to is walking into a house with 8? ceilings versus one with 12? ceilings ... the luxury factor is almost implied just by its size. To me... It?s borderline too big, and dangerously close to ?sofa on wheels.? Again, I think we?d love it 20 years from now. It moves, and has all the BMW power and performance and handling we love; but yours is definitely young and sporty."

Pretty good explaination of the luxury versus sport difference between the F10 and at least my car, a 2008 550i M-sport.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

....wow, who can argue with a wife, eh?

Seriously, "20 years from now?".....the 5 series may be extinct 20 years from now......the government may collapse....the world can end.

I think you need to test-drive a F10 550i w/sports package and dynamic handling to get a better picture.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

I think you need to test-drive a F10 550i w/sports package and dynamic handling to get a better picture.
but it shouldn't be the standard to have to test drive the top of the line model with all the bells and whites in order to get what was once "standard" on a previous model....

e60 525/8, 530/5, 545/50 owners didn't/don't have to say: "you have to test drive a 550 to get the whole picture"
Old 10-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
but it shouldn't be the standard to have to test drive the top of the line model with all the bells and whites in order to get what was once "standard" on a previous model....

e60 525/8, 530/5, 545/50 owners didn't/don't have to say: "you have to test drive a 550 to get the whole picture"

yeah but he's comparing a loaner 535i w/o the sports package to his 550i M sport and calling the loaner "unsporty".....gee, I wonder why?
Old 10-19-2010, 09:51 AM
Contributors

yeah but he's comparing a loaner 535i w/o the sports package to his 550i M sport and calling the loaner "unsporty".....gee, I wonder why?
And that, my friend is the point. If you don't get it you never will, well I know you will never admit it.

Again, if you read the post you'll see that neither her nor I are bashing the F10, just giving our opinion of the whole overall sportiness versus luxury thing that everyone has been discussing. And aren't you the one who said that we need to test drive one to be qualified to post anything about it, and aren't you the one who said that even after we test drive one we'll have more and more excuses about why we don't like it?

Seems to me that you're the one coming up with more and more excuses why the real world impressions of others are bogus, "well you test drove this one, but not that one", "you didn't have this option or that one", "you have to test drive it in this weather or that".

I say horse shit - you are biased and one sided and just can't stop defending your purchase just like everyone else has said and will continue to say. Why don't you go drive your F10 to your AARP meeting and quite bashing everyone who is just trying to post real world impression of this mostly average evolution of the 5 series.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bha7176
And that, my friend is the point. If you don't get it you never will, well I know you will never admit it.

Again, if you read the post you'll see that neither her nor I are bashing the F10, just giving our opinion of the whole overall sportiness versus luxury thing that everyone has been discussing. And aren't you the one who said that we need to test drive one to be qualified to post anything about it, and aren't you the one who said that even after we test drive one we'll have more and more excuses about why we don't like it?

Seems to me that you're the one coming up with more and more excuses why the real world impressions of others are bogus, "well you test drove this one, but not that one", "you didn't have this option or that one", "you have to test drive it in this weather or that".

I say horse shit - you are biased and one sided and just can't stop defending your purchase just like everyone else has said and will continue to say. Why don't you go drive your F10 to your AARP meeting and quite bashing everyone who is just trying to post real world impression of this mostly average evolution of the 5 series.

I don't have a problem with you testing-driving a F10 and giving us your impressions. That's all fine and dandy. What I do have a problem with is you saying that the F10 535i (WITHOUT THE SPORTS PACKAGE) is unsporty.....

....WELL NO SHIT SHERLOCK!....you're coming from a 550i with the M-Sport!

...without ever test-driving a F10 with the sports package and/or dynamic handling, how do you know what the F10 is capable of?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS

I think Gene's comment is pretty spot on.

It really does just sound like you are trying to justify your purchase by bashing his comments on his experience. Doesn't sound like he thought the car was bad, just not suitable to his taste is all. Plus, most of bha's comments seemed to focus more on the interior, size, and seats, while you're stuck on the fact that he had a non sport 535i.

On a side note I love the exterior color you chose Petes550i.

Quick Reply: Got an F10 as a loaner yesterday