F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

F10 receives 5 stars in NHTSA more stringent NCAP test

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Well I guess less aluminum and the additional weight of the F10 helps out is some situations...

BMW 5 Series Receives Five Stars in New More Stringent Crash Test
First results of new NCAP tests announced by National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

Woodcliff Lake, NJ - October 5, 2010 ? The all-new BMW 5 Series was one of only two vehicles to receive an overall five-star rating in the first crash tests conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration under the new, more stringent New Car Assessment Program (NCAP).

New criteria for the NCAP rating system include: more stringent side-impact tests, use of crash-test dummies of varying size (now also simulating a small adult female as well as a medium-size adult male), collection of more data, introduction of a single overall rating score and the highlighting of high-tech crash avoidance systems like electronic stability control, lane departure warning and forward collision warning.

?The performance of the new 5 Series in these tough new tests reflects BMW?s long-held belief in a holistic approach to vehicle safety that places equal emphasis on active and passive safety,? said Jim O?Donnell, President of BMW of North America. ?That?s why we were the first to introduce the Head Protection System in 1997 and why we made Dynamic Stability Control, our electronic stability control system, standard on every BMW sold in the US beginning with the 2000 model year.?

The all-new 2011 BMW 5 Series is available with Lane Departure Warning, Blind Spot Detection, and Active Cruise Control with a Stop & Go feature. It is also available with Night Vision with Pedestrian Detection, a BMW first.

Every 2011 BMW 5 Series is equipped with BMW Assist which includes an enhanced Automatic Collision Notification system. This system, developed jointly with the William Lehman Trauma Center, not only contacts the emergency call center automatically in the event of a collision, but will also transmit data that will alert emergency responders to the probability of severe injury in order to help them better prepare.

Another important safety feature for drivers in colder climates is the availability of BMW?s xDrive all-wheel drive, which is now available for the 535i and 550i Sedans as well as the 535i and 550i Gran Turismo.

F10 receives 5 stars in NHTSA more stringent NCAP test-p90067469_highres.jpg

Old 10-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As always, the 5 Series is the benchmark of its segment. Try to catch up, pathetic Mercedes-Benz or Audi.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

No Mercedes cars were tested, and the only Audi was the A4... For what it's worth, the Audi scored identically to the F10 in each of the three sub-categories that were tested.

As the the extra weight making a difference, the other 5-star recipient was the new Hyundai Sonata, a car that weighs in at around 1200 lbs less than the 550. It's design and not weight that contributes to safety. Either way, This is a very good result for the F10, so kudos to BMW. It's worth remembering that the E60 scored poorly in the first EuroNCAP tests and it was always going to be a safe bet that BMW wasn't going to repeat that mistake.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by swajames
No Mercedes cars were tested, and the only Audi was the A4... For what it's worth, the Audi scored identically to the F10 in each of the three sub-categories that were tested.

As the the extra weight making a difference, the other 5-star recipient was the new Hyundai Sonata, a car that weighs in at around 1200 lbs less than the 550. It's design and not weight that contributes to safety. Either way, This is a very good result for the F10, so kudos to BMW. It's worth remembering that the E60 scored poorly in the first EuroNCAP tests and it was always going to be a safe bet that BMW wasn't going to repeat that mistake.
+1. E60 was not a crash test champ by any means so it's nice to see BMW back on the ball on crashworthiness.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...ash-tests.html
Old 10-05-2010, 10:49 AM
lim
Senior Members

My Ride: e60

will this help sales of the F10 stateside?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by lim
will this help sales of the F10 stateside?

Probably not, the economy still sucks, which means a $70+k luxury car is in fewer and fewer people's shopping list
Old 10-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

See also this link!

To pjinca, the dollar is sinking compered to the euro all the time now...
Old 10-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by swajames

Odd that you spoke of the Sonata. If you are going copy design, why not copy from the best, right BMW?
Old 10-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
Odd that you spoke of the Sonata. If you are going copy design, why not copy from the best, right BMW?
How exactly is it "odd" to talk about the only other car that received 5 stars in this first batch of the newly revised NCAP tests? BMW's press release itself made it clear that the F10 was one of just two cars to receive the the highest score...

The point about design was actually a rather obvious one, which is that safety is largely a function of engineering design and not just a product of added mass. The presumption is that lighter and smaller cars are less safe than bigger, heavier ones and the NCAP results show that this isn't necessarily the case.

Quick Reply: F10 receives 5 stars in NHTSA more stringent NCAP test