F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

F10 Ergonomics and other whiffs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 04:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned two E39 525s, a 745i, a 335i coupe and currently have two E61 wagons and my new F10 535i 6-speed. I have experienced the crappy cupholders of the E39s, the first-gen iDrive, the new iDrive, the balky iPod interface in the 335, run-flats, and a host of other things. But there are a couple things on the F10 that I think the engineers missed.

On all my previous cars, and my current E61s, the volume, voice command and telephone buttons are on the left side of the steering wheel. That works well for those of us with left-hand drive stick shift cars since the left hand will always be on the wheel. On the F10, the buttons are on the right, so those buttons can't be easily used while shifting. I do like the scroll wheel, but that could have been put on the left side as well. Similarly, the cruise control would make more sense on the right spoke of the wheel, since it is impossible that one would be shifting and setting the cruise control at the same time.

Now to cupholders, center console ergonomics. I tested an M-sport 535xi and saw that the cupholders were in front of the shifter. seemed like a logical place. I noticed that the cupholders were not in the same place in the 6-speed but didn't give it any thought during the test drive. The manny tranny main cupholder is under the right forearm of the driver. Depending on the driver's technique, taller items in the cupholder will interfere with the shifting arm. More importantly, anything taller than an 8 ounce "mini" soda can is tall enough to interfere with the driver's access to iDrive. A larger cup, say a 24 ounce cup from Costco, makes the iDrive all but inaccessible. I know that the Germans don't understand our need to drink in the car, but they should deal with it.

The manual discusses two cupholders. The second one is a joke. It is the E39 style fingers attached to bottom of the passenger side center console lid. So the passenger, who would presumably be present if two cupholders are needed, cannot use the center console armrest because the driver's drink is in the alleged cupholder. And since stuff is kept in the center console, I don't see how the cupholder has much value. So, the auto tranny folks win here.

iDrive - I noticed this in my 2010 E61 which has the CiC interface and it continues with the F10. It almost requires a Ph.D. to program a navigation address. In the old CCC system, once an address was programmed, there was a menu selection to store the address. There is no such menu choice from the destination list. And sometimes the necessary choices are buried in the menu that is one over from the Assistance Window on the screen. I don't understand why the engineers went away from a simple programming option to a more complex one.

Map currency - my 12/10 build car (which I just bought new, it has a 6-speed) has a 2010 map in it. The TeleAtlas data is so outdated as to be laughable. I assumed, apparently incorrectly, that it would have a newer map than my 3/10 build E61. I was wrong. And when I called the dealer, I was told that map updates will only be coming out every two years. There are streets near my house that have been in existence for four years, they are not on the map. And my home is on the map a half mile from where it really is. I guess the good news is that someone will get the map and put it someplace for us to find. I'm told it is then loaded by way of the USB port in the glovebox.

On the other hand, I really like the map's night mode. And the bluetooth streaming from my Blackberry is very cool. I have Pandora One on my Blackberry, so I can stream that. Sound quality is much better than Sirius, which has never impressed me.

The car has run-flats. They are not as objectionable on this car as they were on the 335, which got regular tires when replacement was needed. They run fairly quiet and the suspension seems to be better suited to them.

For those of you that wonder, the stock 535 suspension is more akin to driving my '04 745 than the two E39s or the two E61s. On the other hand, the M-Sport that I drove had a much different suspension and a sportier feel. I didn't buy that car because it had 17K miles on it and a color combination that was kind of jarring, Space Gray with Cinnamon interior and light wood. It had almost every option on it. OTOH, my new car had a better color combo, sport package and the dealer was willing to sell it below cost.

I hope this is helpful to someone.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hi mdobin,

Thank's for posting. Some comments about your writing.

Most of us are right handed and have the auto tranny.

About the iDrive. Apple is now a winning mobile hardware solution because they have made
easy to use applications. The world need them!
It seems really hard for most engineers to think like "normal people".

I suppose you run on 18" RF's. My 20" non-RF's are as comfy.

Just my 5 cents.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Members

My Ride: f10 520da - 328 wheels, ambient lighting, sport s-wheel, oyster/black, fineline anthracite, Sophisto Gray

"On the F10, the buttons are on the right, so those buttons can't be easily used while shifting. I do like the scroll wheel, but that could have been put on the left side as well. Similarly, the cruise control would make more sense on the right spoke of the wheel, since it is impossible that one would be shifting and setting the cruise control at the same time."

You must be a female? Multitasking on that complex level is beyond me.

Foot in carpet, hold the wheel, let the car sort out the rest.

D