F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

F10 Dented

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 09:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pukka
So does this mean that if you scratch the paint on every F10 door, it could say Bud, Coke, or Pepsi??
That reminds me of the following story I read on a UK Alpina forum by member "joylove":

"My dad had an Italian friend when he was a student, who owned a new Lancia Fulvia. A beautiful car of that there is no doubt, but not the best made. When you put your keys in the dooy and let them hang, the metal door skin would bend a little under the weight.

It was also built at a time of great industrial unrest, with strikes and materials shortages plauging production. One day when he removed the door card to work on something he was most surprised to see the outer door skin had been made from re-pressed steel from an industrial drum of oil, and the brand logo of the oil company was clearly legible across the inside of the door skin. "

Old 10-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Members

Hi Shebs, wow, you are very knowledgeable. I learned something new today. You are a material engineer?

Originally Posted by Shebs
Kiasu, I am sorry to hear about your door being dented.

The reason behind aluminum being more susceptible to permenant damage than steel is that it has much lower toughness (ductility). Toughness is the amount of energy that the metal can take before it gets fractured due to stress (pressure) applied to the metal sheet on a blow. It is represented by the shaded area under the curves below.

Attachment 113506

These curves represent extreme cases of more brittle materials (Aluminum) compared to more ductile materials (steel). As you can see steel will take much more deformation (strain) before it fractures, and it can also take back much more corrective deformation when being repaired after the blow.

From my previous readings I remember that Aluminum sheets can be fixed if the workshop has the correct equipment provided that the deformation did not pass the fracture limit (the vertical dotted line above). However, the equipment used to repair Aluminum is much mroe expensive than that required for steel so some shops might not be intersted in buying them.

As much as Aluminum has its advantages in saving weight for performance, handling, and fuel economy purposes, it also has the disadvantage of being very expensive to repair .
Old 10-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Members

The dealer / body shop mechanic told me all internals including window glass are reused and only the entire door frame / body panel assembly is replaced. Solar firm on my car window glass will remain intact.

My main concern is whether the replaced door will be as tight as the original one as one of my friends told me after her door was replaced, the closing "thud" sound was no longer the same. Workshop mechanic told me they will "realign" the new door and will be same as original. Yet to confirm if this is the case. Will update when I get my car back next week.

So does this mean that if you scratch the paint on every F10 door, it could say Bud, Coke, or Pepsi??

On a serious note - I'm curious as to whether or not they replace the entire door assembly or remove all the internals and install them in the new door frame (either way would also cause a significant cost increase).

And if they replace everything - do you get screwed if the old window was tinted....
Old 10-29-2010, 05:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by Kiasu King
The dealer / body shop mechanic told me all internals including window glass are reused and only the entire door frame / body panel assembly is replaced. Solar firm on my car window glass will remain intact.
I've gutted a door assembly before and its alot of work. Just make sure all power functions on the door work properly and there are no scratches on your tint when you get the car back
Old 10-29-2010, 01:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by Kiasu King
Hi Shebs, wow, you are very knowledgeable. I learned something new today. You are a material engineer?
Yes Sir. I am a Mechanical Engineer with Design and Materials and Manufacturing concentration.

If you are interested in knowing about aluminum use in BMWs, then I hope you will like these articles:

F01 7 Series

E60 5 Series

Unfortunately they still did not publish an article regarding F10, but I think the same technology in the F01 applies to the F10 except for the roof.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Contributors

Very interesting and useful information Shebs, thanks for sharing!
Old 10-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

This discussion got me wondering about cosmetic repairs like PDR. So....this is what I found after a quick search:

paintless dent repair can be used to repair a dent in aluminum, but because of the characteristics of aluminum and the way aluminum panels are manufactured, the success rate is lower than with steel panels.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by wolf
This discussion got me wondering about cosmetic repairs like PDR. So....this is what I found after a quick search:
paintless dent repair can be used to repair a dent in aluminum, but because of the characteristics of aluminum and the way aluminum panels are manufactured, the success rate is lower than with steel panels.
I concur. Some PDR techs won't touch deep dents on aluminum. Minor hail damage on aluminum body panels does not seem to be a concern for PDR as long as it is the original paint. PDR techs do not guarantee results on repainted panels, aluminum or not.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:10 PM
Members

Hi Pukka,

thanks for your kind advice. I am worried about that too as my car has comfort access and the repair may mess it up.Not so worried about the tint as it can be easily replaced.

I've gutted a door assembly before and its alot of work. Just make sure all power functions on the door work properly and there are no scratches on your tint when you get the car back