F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

The F10 5 Series IS your daddy's 7 Series

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 06:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

It's not just the wheels. The upgrade is also the tires which makes the bigger difference.....all-seasons are replaced by performance tires which gives you better handling, grip and braking.

Also, as I said previously, pretty much all the F10's you see on the lot that have the Sports Package will also have the Dynamic Handling Package. (This is what I saw at my dealership anyways).

Also, I wouldn't read too much into the sales figures. It's still way too early, (only 3 months) and the economy is still recovering. Also, whenever a new model comes out, it takes time for the public to get used to the style. I'm sure by next spring/summer, sales will pick up significantly. The F10 will succeed....I have absolutely no doubt.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Don't judge the sales numbers quite yet. There is no xi version in the US until October. I have and xi, and I am not sure of the percent of xi to non xi but here in Ohio I would says 80% are awd.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by dgjk
Don't judge the sales numbers quite yet. There is no xi version in the US until October. I have and xi, and I am not sure of the percent of xi to non xi but here in Ohio I would says 80% are awd.

You're absolutely right. My dealer's stock of E39 and E60 X-drive models far exceed the non-X-drive models...I would say over 90% is all X-Drive. Once the F10 X-drive models become widely available, I expect a dramatic increase in sales.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Petes550i
You're absolutely right. My dealer's stock of E39 and E60 X-drive models far exceed the non-X-drive models...I would say over 90% is all X-Drive. Once the F10 X-drive models become widely available, I expect a dramatic increase in sales.
xDrive models are pretty rare in California which tends to be the biggest market in the US for most manufacturers. It's much the same throughout the other large auto markets such as Texas and Florida. I suspect the north east is the only major market where xDrive models would be a significant proportion of sales. Some parts of the Midwest may also have a preponderance of xDrive models, but the Midwest in general isn't as significant a market for the premium manufacturers.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames
xDrive models are pretty rare in California which tends to the biggest market in the US for most manufacturers. It's much the same throughout the other large auto markets such as Texas and Florida. I suspect the north east is the only major market where xDrive models would be a significant proportion of sales. Some parts of the Midwest may also have a preponderance of xDrive models, but the Midwest in general isn't as significant a market for the premium manufacturers.

Boy, you just won't give up, do you swajames?
Will it give you that much pleasure to see the F10 fail?

Anyways, you're vastly underestimating how important AWD is in North America, especially in the US. Pretty much every vehicle sold in the US now has a AWD variant. Even niche sports car companies like Porsche have embraced AWD. Over the last 20 years, automakers have done an excellent job in convincing the US consumers that AWD is almost a necessity for safety. Why do you think SUV's have become so popular in the last 10 years? Even in states like California and Texas where there is hardly any snow, SUV's are still extremely popular. (and not just because of the safety factor either). I see at least 6-8 E60's only a daily basis and almost all of them are the X-Drive models.

Once the F10 X-drive models become widely available, the sales will be dramatically increased.....and you can take that to the bank!
Old 10-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Boy, you just won't give up, do you swajames?
Will it give you that much pleasure to see the F10 fail?

Anyways, you're vastly underestimating how important AWD is in North America, especially in the US. Pretty much every vehicle sold in the US now has a AWD variant. Even niche sports car companies like Porsche have embraced AWD. Over the last 20 years, automakers have done an excellent job in convincing the US consumers that AWD is almost a necessity for safety. Why do you think SUV's have become so popular in the last 10 years? Even in states like California and Texas where there is hardly any snow, SUV's are still extremely popular. (and not just because of the safety factor either). I see at least 6-8 E60's only a daily basis and almost all of them are the X-Drive models.

Once the F10 X-drive models become widely available, the sales will be dramatically increased.....and you can take that to the bank!
It's not a question of not giving up or wanting to see the F10 fail, it's more that this is intended to be a forum for debate. The more informed amongst us have the intellectual capacity to recognize that what we see in our own neighborhood might not necessarily be representative of the bigger picture... And frankly, Pete, given your recent penchant for calling much longer standing members than you "trolls" for having the temerity to simply tell it like it is and your recent trend of loading your posts with expletives, I think we're all beginning to see that you don't really have the capacity for the kind of informed debate that used to be the hallmark of this forum.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Senior Members

It's not a question of not giving up or wanting to see the F10 fail, it's more that this is intended to be a forum for debate. The more informed amongst us have the intellectual capacity to recognize that what we see in our own neighborhood might not necessarily be representative of the bigger picture... And frankly, Pete, given your recent penchant for calling much longer standing members than you "trolls" for having the temerity to simply tell it like it is and your recent trend of loading your posts with expletives, I think we're all beginning to see that you don't really have the capacity for the kind of informed debate that used to be the hallmark of this forum.

...ok, so you want to play "prosecutor" now?

If this is a "debate" as you say, then why don't I have to right to state my case? What makes your statements any more legit than mine? When did I call you a troll?

Informed debate, my ass.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Contributors

...ok, so you want to play "prosector" now?

If this is a "debate" as you say, then why don't I have to right to state my case? What makes your statements any more legit than mine? When did I call you a troll?

Informed debate, my ass.
Pete, it is how you state your case. You have indeed called far more longstanding members "trolls" without basis, and you have indeed resorted to loading your posts with f-bombs. Most of the members here don't behave that way.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

Pete, it is how you state your case. You have indeed called far more longstanding members "trolls" without basis, and you have indeed resorted to loading your posts with f-bombs. Most of the members here don't behave that way.

You know, if you want to call me out and take things personal, just PM me.

I'm done.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Contributors

You know, if you want to call me out and take things personal, just PM me.

I'm done.
Pete, we'll believe that when we see it.

Quick Reply: The F10 5 Series IS your daddy's 7 Series