F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

DRLs on non-Xenon car

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 02:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F10 530d Deep Sea Blue, Oyster/Black, Auto, Dynamic Pack, Professional Sat Nav, Professional Hi-Fi

Originally Posted by luigimaster528i
So are you saying that non xenon F10's don't have Corona lamps (angel eyes) when in DRL mode, but rather have the inner headlight (high beam) dimmly light like in the middle picture above. ????
No, the in DRL mode, all 4 Corona laps are lit, as in the third photo + the outer low/dipped beams are lit.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by darraghn
No, the in DRL mode, all 4 Corona laps are lit, as in the third photo + the outer low/dipped beams are lit.
"...outer low/dipped beams"?

Do you mean the fog lights?
Old 09-18-2010, 03:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: April 2007 520D M Sport LCI. Automatic. Sunroof. BMW Bluetooth. Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Natural Brown Leather.

Xenon lights = Corona's only lit at high intensity of light

Halogen lights = dipped beam lit, same as if you turned it on at the light switch.

AFAIK this is identical to how things worked on E60 as I made the same comparison.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by artc
Xenon lights = Corona's only lit at high intensity of light

Halogen lights = dipped beam lit, same as if you turned it on at the light switch.
AFAIK this is identical to how things worked on E60 as I made the same comparison.
Seems that you have a point here.

Of the three pics above, my car is the last black one, with Xenon DRL's on.
In the inner light the corona is the only function.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Members

Well, this is a bit disappointing. Should have gotten the Xenon option. I removed my halogens and put in HID's on my low, high and fogs. I have DRL disabled because it would give an error on the high beams. If my F10 would have Coronas ONLY lit when in DRL mode I would probably remove the highbeam HIDS just to have angel eyes while Im running around in the daytime. But hey , sometimes you can't have it all. By the way , isn't there a way to rewire the non xenons to have coronas only lit while in DRL mode instead of the boring inner beams????

Here is a picture of my NON XENON F10 with HIDS. No dashboard errors.

DRLs on non-Xenon car-img_0241.jpg

DRLs on non-Xenon car-img_0242.jpg

High Beams
DRLs on non-Xenon car-img_0247.jpg
Attached Thumbnails DRLs on non-Xenon car-img_0244.jpg  
Old 09-19-2010, 01:04 AM
Members

I'm totally confused
You are all using different terminology.

Here's my understanding - not sure it's right so would appreciate any clarifications/corrections

The lower front fog lights are all halogeon/non Zenon bulbs and only used when turned on:
1) by the driver using the switch near the light selector for cars without Active headlights
2) hen used as corner lights at low speeds by the Active headlight program where fitted

Each main headlight assembly has 2 parts (dipped beam and low beam).
Each part has a corona ring (making total of 4) that is lit when DRL are turned on - the lighting of these Coronas is LED technology and the same whether Xenons are fitted or not.
The Corona rings are also used as parking lights/side lights

The headlight assembly also includes: (UK Spec)
3 x small Orange LED's on the side that only light up when dark - Zenon equipped cars only
Indicators - LED for Xenon cars, Standard bulbs for Non Xenon cars

The outer lights are the dipped beam and are either Xenon or Halogeon and are used when it gets dark or turned on by the driver. These lights can "turn" as as part of the Active Headlight package.

The inner lights are high beam and are either Xenon or Halogeon and are used when turned on by the driver, the high beam assistance turns them on, or the headlight flash is actived by the driver

As I said - corrections or amendments greatly appreciated
Old 09-19-2010, 01:29 AM
Members

My Ride: Just gone-520d m sport- Jet Black- Dakota Leather black- AluCube interior, On order- F10 520d SE-Titanium Silver

Would activating parking/side lights just light corona rings? If so Problem solved, although you'd have to remember to switch them off on exiting car.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by acwats
Each main headlight assembly has 2 parts (dipped beam and low beam).
Did you mean dipped beam and high beam. Otherwise I think you've got it spot on!
Old 09-19-2010, 06:07 AM
Members

Hi everyone,

I'm in Seoul right now (far away from my F10 who's living in Belgium ), but I think I can further clarify some points as I have a non-Xenon car and have now seen quite a few Xenon ones driving around :
1) Contrary to what was posted before in this thread, the Corona rings on non-Xenon cars have a significantly lower brightness which is especially apparent in daylight conditions. Personally I find this to be quite disappointing. I also find it to be incorrect of BMW to state that LED Corona rings are standard equipment. Contrary to what one would expect, this clearly does not mean you get the same aesthetics w.r.t. the Corona rings as the light intensity differs to a (great) extent (would be interesting to check whether there are actually any LEDs in there for the non-Xenon car, maybe someone can confirm this). You could argue that this is hardly a big deal but given the fact that this feature is one of the key characteristics of the F10 front, I did find this to be an issue.
2) Switching on DRL in the I-Drive menu and driving around in the daytime results in the 4 Corona rings being lit. Unfortunately, this also lights up the outer headlamps, which come standard with a yellowish color. Personally I'm not too fond of this configuration.
3) Turning on your parking lights results in only the Corona rings being lit. From the front, I prefer this setting aesthetically. There are two important nuisances however that make me wish for an alternative "solution":
a) You have to flip the switch each time. If you forget while exiting the vehicle, a fairly loud chime goes off. Also, if you flip the switch back one position to the left (=lights off position), your lights do not turn on when you unlock the car.
b) The REAR lights will light up in a non-pleasing configuration. That is, the part of the rear light assembly which resides on the trunk is NOT lit, only the outer parts are. I found this to make the whole "parking lights as DRL lights" config not really useable and looking a bit daft actually.
4) Switching on your low beams also turns on the Corona's, and they are clearly visible in the dark.

On the positive side I find the halogen lights to come out very nicely in the dark, as the light is tightly clustered in the headlamp and does not diffuse as opposed to most non-Xenon cars (given that your headlamps are clean of course ).

You can find some of the quick shots I took in this thread on a forum with similar interests :
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414435

Hope this helps somewhat. If anyone has info on installing high intensity Corona's and rewiring the headlamps for dealing with the issues above, I would be very happy to hear about it .
Old 09-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Contributors

What a mess!

There are 5 different light choices in EU for the F10.

I have the Xenon's without any extras (nr 2), so therefore I only talk about it.

The five choices are (extra part nr at BMW Nordic):

1) Standard halogen
2) Xenon's (522)
3) Xenon's with turning headlights (522 + 524)
4) Xenon's with high beam assistance (522 + 5DC)
5) Xenon's with both above (522 + 524 + 5DC)

Keeping the light swith to the left (auto lights) at all times the lights are
in the daytime with four white led coronas (only) and when it gets dark the Xenon's
will lit up, but only the outer lights (both in lo- and high beam) but the inner light is still only a corona.

The fog lights work only from a separate switch as said but otherwise the lights are fully automatic,
exept that one needs to swich on/off the hi-beams.

This only for the version nr 2 = Xenon's only.

Quick Reply: DRLs on non-Xenon car