F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

DRLs on non-Xenon car

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

Can anyone with a F10/F11 not having Xenon headlamps report on how the DRLs look? Are they the same compared to the DRLs in Xenon headlamps?

I came across a post somewhere on a german car forum that mentioned the rings would emit yellow light in this case instead of white.

The catalogue mentions DRLs with LED technique as a standard option however, so I am curious to know if there really is any difference.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 08-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Members

My Ride: F10 530d Deep Sea Blue, Oyster/Black, Auto, Dynamic Pack, Professional Sat Nav, Professional Hi-Fi

I have the standard halogen lights, the DRL are bright white - the same "temp" as the Xenon's, and in fact I was wondering what the best H7 bulb upgrade is to match the DRLs...
Old 08-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by darraghn
I have the standard halogen lights, the DRL are bright white - the same "temp" as the Xenon's, and in fact I was wondering what the best H7 bulb upgrade is to match the DRLs...
Alright thanks a lot for your quick response! So the white rings remain visible when the halogens come on?
If you would happen to have a picture of these that would be nice to see, could be interesting for prospective owners to have an idea on how these come out (I don't think there are pictures available yet on the net showing how the halogen units look in terms of DRLs/blinkers/high beam...).
Old 08-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Senior Members

AFAIK DRL should look the same, regardless of xenon or halogen.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 525i

For the H7 bulbs, see this bulbs

For street legal bulbs the choice is between nightbreakers(osram) and X-treme(philips)

Old 08-03-2010, 12:12 AM
Members

My Ride: F10 530d Deep Sea Blue, Oyster/Black, Auto, Dynamic Pack, Professional Sat Nav, Professional Hi-Fi

Thanks mooney058.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:28 AM
Members

Here's a comparison between Xenon and non-Xenon on cars delivered in the US :
Xenon : http://www.bmwofpeoria.com/new/BMW/2...260f551552.htm
non-Xenon : http://www.bmwofpeoria.com/new/BMW/2...86b3e1de60.htm

Apparently, there is quite some difference in light intensity.

Also in 5th picture of the non-Xenon pics, it looks like switching on DRLs does not bring up both corona rings but rather the inner rings along with the inner halogens.

Could you confirm this is a US thing darraghn? Do you think the first picture shows the parking lights rather than DRL mode?
Old 08-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Jotun
Here's a comparison between Xenon and non-Xenon on cars delivered in the US :
Xenon : http://www.bmwofpeoria.com/new/BMW/2...260f551552.htm
non-Xenon : http://www.bmwofpeoria.com/new/BMW/2...86b3e1de60.htm

Apparently, there is quite some difference in light intensity.

Also in 5th picture of the non-Xenon pics, it looks like switching on DRLs does not bring up both corona rings but rather the inner rings along with the inner halogens.

Could you confirm this is a US thing darraghn? Do you think the first picture shows the parking lights rather than DRL mode?
Black with Xenon's and White without. These pics tell, at least me, nothing.

The third pic is my car with DRL LED-coronas. In EU the inner lamp has no other function than the corona.
But with Turning Headlights the inner lamp is functional.
Attached Thumbnails DRLs on non-Xenon car-f10-xenon.jpg   DRLs on non-Xenon car-f10-non-xenon.jpg   DRLs on non-Xenon car-eky-10.jpg  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:39 PM
Members

I took some pictures last night but they didn't come out well - my photography skills are limited! However, I can confirm that the Corona lights are definitely LED powered in non-Zenon cars. The high and low beam are normal H7 bulbs. The corona rings are on when the light switch is in the first "running lights" position. With daytime running lights switched to on in the iDrive and the light switch on Auto all 4 corona lights are on and the (outer) headlight are also on in the low beam position. I hope that helps. The H7 bulbs are fairly similar in colour to the LED rings but obviously not quite as "blue" white.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:47 AM
Members

I took some pictures last night but they didn't come out well - my photography skills are limited! However, I can confirm that the Corona lights are definitely LED powered in non-Zenon cars. The high and low beam are normal H7 bulbs. The corona rings are on when the light switch is in the first "running lights" position. With daytime running lights switched to on in the iDrive and the light switch on Auto all 4 corona lights are on and the (outer) headlight are also on in the low beam position. I hope that helps. The H7 bulbs are fairly similar in colour to the LED rings but obviously not quite as "blue" white.
So are you saying that non xenon F10's don't have Corona lamps (angel eyes) when in DRL mode, but rather have the inner headlight (high beam) dimmly light like in the middle picture above. ????

Quick Reply: DRLs on non-Xenon car