F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Car and Driver Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 06:48 PM
ObD
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

The electrical steering is never going to have the feel of a mechanical setup much like the electrical throttle isn't going to feel like mechanical linkage. The F10 is all drive by wire now. The only thing I noticed when I drove the F10 is that my E60 steering effort is heavier when compared to the F10.

I'm calling BS on this article.

1) The F10 lost 5 points due to amenities STANDARD on the Audi and Infinity and 2 additional points as to price aka value for a total of 7.
2) The A6 was shod with Michelin PS2's, the F10 Goodyear Runflats, and the M37 Bridgestone Potenza's. Put PS2's on ALL the cars. The PS2's are going to run rings around the Goodyear numbflats.
3) The Audi has a higher curb weight yet the BMW is the portly one.

As poorly as the F10 looks in photos the A6 and M37 look much worse.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by ObD
The electrical steering is never going to have the feel of a mechanical setup much like the electrical throttle isn't going to feel like mechanical linkage. The F10 is all drive by wire now. The only thing I noticed when I drove the F10 is that my E60 steering effort is heavier when compared to the F10.

I'm calling BS on this article.

1) The F10 lost 5 points due to amenities STANDARD on the Audi and Infinity and 2 additional points as to price aka value for a total of 7. It lost by 11 points. It's a moot point.
2) The A6 was shod with Michelin PS2's, the F10 Goodyear Runflats, and the M37 Bridgestone Potenza's. Put PS2's on ALL the cars. The PS2's are going to run rings around the Goodyear numbflats. BMW won't sell you a 535 with PS2's today whereas it is one of the OEM A6 tires. You can't criticize C&D for rating the cars with the tires the manufacturer provided. More to the point, the 535 did in fact score highest in the objective handling categories - it scored last in the subjective handling categories. The steering feedback issue isn't going to be addressed by a change of tire.
3) The Audi has a higher curb weight yet the BMW is the portly one. Car and Driver didn't criticize the 535's weight nor did they describe the car as portly. That said, the F10's weight increase is lamentable. Despite the AWD hardware, the A6 weighs just 60lbs more than than the RWD 535. The F10's weight will also have contributed to the lack of feel and its poorer performance in the subjective handling ratings.

As poorly as the F10 looks in photos the A6 and M37 look much worse.
It's not BS. C&D usually goes out of its way to favor BMW, they're just telling it as they see it. Not a lot of point in shooting the messenger.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

After seeing this post a few days ago, I'd been checking Barnes & Noble and Borders so I could snap up this issue as soon as it was available (I know... I should already have a subscription).

I've already written my review of the 550i at the Ultimate Driving Event so I won't repeat that here, but basically I was underwhelmed. No matter what the objective numbers say, it's more how the car feels to the driver and in that respect there seems to be a large disconnect with road and steering feel.

Therefore I am not one bit surprised at Car & Driver's review of the F10. Their comment that the F10 has lost some sport in favor of luxury is pretty spot on. It's been known for years that Mercedes is for the person who wants loads of luxury features and a comfortable ride, while BMW is for the driver who wants a sporty ride but also has the luxury features. I'm not sure why BMW is changing this up but I really hope they fix it (i.e. X3). They also can't expect that with every new generation they are going to tip the scales 200 lbs. heavier. Counterintuitive.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

I do not like the new F10. For a certain reason, I can't just see where it has gone better than the E60. May be because I am a scientific and numerically oriented person, I can not see how a car can gain 150 kg (around 10% of its weight) and people still claim it is more agile the E60.

Why is it so much heavier then?

It is because BMW ditched the half aluminum chassis for a steel one. The increase in the volume of this car (W*H*L) is a mere 1.7% compared to the E60 while the increase in weight is 10%. Was there an actual need for the increase in size? I mean have any E60 owner ever fealt that he needed extra space? I for one never fealt that.

We understand BMW wanted to cut costs by manufacturing steel chassis in place of an aluminum one. But what did we as owners do wrong to be penalized by the extra weight?

Also, the ridiculous Cd (coefficient of drag) of 0.29, why? I mean it is not possible that every other company in the world enhances the Cd while our beloved BMW can't do it.

And the looks, oh my god. It is an enhanced BMW 3 series front mingled with a deteriorated 7 series back. I can not deny that the profile is excellent, but what is the use if the front and back views are not impressive.

Why electrical steering? for an extra two or three horses in power and a fewer one or two grams in CO2 emmisions. Are BMW drivers to be penalized for such small gains?

I am not attacking the F10 to the extent other memebrs have gone to, but I am just wondering why. Why these strange decisions at such timimg?

I know that the F10 will probably be my next car, but it is not because it is a good one, it is just because the new E-Class looks horrendous and the A6 is astoundingly boring. It is also a pity that I got used to the size and I just received a baby boy, meaning it would be impossible to go back to the 3 series and Alfa 156 size. The 7 series is also inappropriate for my age.

I am destined for the F10 5 series . A car that I don't like. And BTW, it will sell a lot. Unfortunately, a lot of BMW owners have become straight line acceleration enthusiasts, owners who never fully switch off their DSC, that is if they know what DSC stands for in the first place
Old 07-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Members

Put PS2's on ALL the cars

I'd argue that the tester is entitled to treat the OEM tires as part of the car tested.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

I don't understand why some of you feel you need to eventually "settle" for a F10 if you hate it that much. I don't understand the logic of that. I love BMW's as much as the next guy here (I've owned 5 BMW's in the last 11 years now) but I'm not blinded to the fact that there are other great cars out there (During those 11 years, I've also owned a Lexus, a Porsche, an Acura and an Infiniti). If you're gonna spend $60K-70K+ on car, it makes absolutely no sense to buy a car you're only lukewarm about or a car you think you'll eventually "grow into"....absolute nonsense. Life is too short for that. As for me, I got my 550i because I absolutely LOVE every aspect of that car! All these comparisons done by these auto magazines are good for nothing more than bathroom reading. It's not gospel. All it is is just one set of opinions, nothing more. The only opinion that matters is you, the buyer. I don't let no car magazine or some guy in an internet forum influence my buying decisions. Buying a new car is a very expensive and personal experience and should ultimately involve only the buyer and his/her significant other. Ultimately that's the only thing it comes down to....the consumer.....people vote with their wallets....the car magazines can say whatever they want but the consumers are going to decide whether or not a model succeeds. You also have to remember that the guys here represent only a tiny, tiny fraction of all 5 series owners out there. The vast majority of 5 series owners don't care about how fast their cars can reach 60 or whether or not the car can be lowered a few inches. The "average" 5 series buyer is someone who is mainly looking for something stylish, luxurious, sporty and safe. The F10 delivers all that in spades. I think a lot of you don't give BMW enough credit. They did do their homework in coming up with the F10. The car is designed this way on purpose....more 5 series owners wanted more luxury and comfort over absolute sport. There are enough hard-core sporty models in BMW's lineup to satisfy the enthusiasts so BMW decided the 5 series needed to grow up. And I'm glad that it did.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Petes550i
I don't understand why some of you feel you need to eventually "settle" for a F10 if you hate it that much. I don't understand the logic of that. I love BMW's as much as the next guy here (I've owned 5 BMW's in the last 11 years now) but I'm not blinded to the fact that there are other great cars out there (During those 11 years, I've also owned a Lexus, a Porsche, an Acura and an Infiniti). If you're gonna spend $60K-70K+ on car, it makes absolutely no sense to buy a car you're only lukewarm about or a car you think you'll eventually "grow into"....absolute nonsense. Life is too short for that. As for me, I got my 550i because I absolutely LOVE every aspect of that car! All these comparisons done by these auto magazines are good for nothing more than bathroom reading. It's not gospel. All it is is just one set of opinions, nothing more. The only opinion that matters is you, the buyer. I don't let no car magazine or some guy in an internet forum influence my buying decisions. Buying a new car is a very expensive and personal experience and should ultimately involve only the buyer and his/her significant other. Ultimately that's the only thing it comes down to....the consumer.....people vote with their wallets....the car magazines can say whatever they want but the consumers are going to decide whether or not a model succeeds. You also have to remember that the guys here represent only a tiny, tiny fraction of all 5 series owners out there. The vast majority of 5 series owners don't care about how fast their cars can reach 60 or whether or not the car can be lowered a few inches. The "average" 5 series buyer is someone who is mainly looking for something stylish, luxurious, sporty and safe. The F10 delivers all that in spades. I think a lot of you don't give BMW enough credit. They did do their homework in coming up with the F10. The car is designed this way on purpose....more 5 series owners wanted more luxury and comfort over absolute sport. There are enough hard-core sporty models in BMW's lineup to satisfy the enthusiasts so BMW decided the 5 series needed to grow up. And I'm glad that it did.
I agree wholeheartedly with you that the F10 will sell well. I think it far outsell the E60 as it is more luxurious and its looks are more mainsttream/conservative.

But I am one of those lunatic fringe handling enthusiastis and I can't help but mourn the apparently fact that BMW porked up the weight and lost some of the steering and handling sharpness that makes a BMW a BMW.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Petes550i
All true and all good points. That said, had C&D given the F10 the win, these are all points that one would have been happy to overlook. Also, you're perhaps not giving the long standing members here quite enough credit. There has been a lot of discussion in the five and a half years that I've been a member that BMW was starting to lose its edge and that the differentiation it prided itself on - trying to live up to its "ultimate driving machine" tagline - was starting to get lost in a race for the bottom in the quest for sales. Cars such as the X6, the 550 GT, the X3 and the 1 Series do relatively little to enhance BMW's reputation and the feedback from C&D, which is after all the magazine that's had the 3 Series in its 10 Best cars for 19 years running and which is routinely accused of having the most obvious pro-BMW bias, is simply the latest in a trend that suggests BMW is losing something that more buyers than you think hold dear. I don't doubt for a second that there are buyers who own a BMW due to the badge nor that these customers make up a significant proportion of sales, some manufacturers such as BMW and Porsche have always had a bigger enthusiast core in its customer base than most. It's these customers who feel the F10 lost something by being more of a smaller seven series, adding weight in the process, and personally I think it's interesting to note that it seems to be Audi which is starting to look like the brand that is focusing more on the driver than the passenger. I admit a bias as I am a current owner but Porsche's new Cayenne will tip the scales at up to 400lbs less than the previous model, whereas BMW is adding weight across the board. Both cars are equally impacted by the new EU pedestrian regulations. It's simply a question of focus. BMW is starting to look like it is dining out on past glories with the added mass in its current line up. BMW makes some wonderful cars, but it has taken its eye off the ball.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

Originally Posted by swajames
All true and all good points. That said, had C&D given the F10 the win, these are all points that one would have been happy to overlook. Also, you're perhaps not giving the long standing members here quite enough credit. There has been a lot of discussion in the five and a half years that I've been a member that BMW was starting to lose its edge and that the differentiation it prided itself on - trying to live up to its "ultimate driving machine" tagline - was starting to get lost in a race for the bottom in the quest for sales. Cars such as the X6, the 550 GT, the X3 and the 1 Series do relatively little to enhance BMW's reputation and the feedback from C&D, which is after all the magazine that's has the 3 Series in its 10 Best cars for 19 years running and which is routinely accused of having the most obvious pro-BMW bias, is simply the latest in a trend that suggests BMW is losing something that more buyers than you think hold dear. I don't doubt for a second that there are buyers who own a BMW due to the badge nor that these customers make up a significant proportion of sales, some manufacturers such as BMW and Porsche have always had a bigger enthusiast core in its customer base than most. It's these customers who feel the F10 lost something by being more of a smaller seven series, adding weight in the process, and personally I think it's interesting to note that it seems to be Audi which is starting to look like the brand that is focusing more on the driver than the passenger. I admit a bias as I am a current owner but Porsche's new Cayenne will tip the scales at up to 400lbs less than the previous model, whereas BMW is adding weight across the board. Both cars are equally impacted by the new EU pedestrian regulations. It's simply a question of focus. BMW is starting to look like it is dining out on past glories with the added mass in its current line up. BMW makes some wonderful cars, but it has taken its eye off the ball.
EXTREMELY well put. I hope those who are taking hits on the F10 personally just because they own one will listen to what you have to say and agree to disagree.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545 BLK/BLK
Model Year: 2005

Everyone has their opinion on the E60 vs F10, and it seems the people who have purchased an F10 will say that it's better than the E60. And there are people who will say that the E60 is better in some ways... but for me personaly, I have no plans on buying an F10. I don't like the way it looks AT ALL. And looks are subjective. Just because something is newer doesn't make it automatically better. I personally think an STOCK E60 545 - 550 looks way better than a Stock F10 535, or 550. I saw a couple at the dealer yesterday and it did absolutely nothing for me. And for the guy that said that the better than the E60 in EVERYWAY, including looks.. well again, everyone has their opinion. BMW has seemingly gone down a road that some of the other car makers have gone... they are getting away from what they are known for.

I'm sure the car is great... but it looks huge compared to my E60, and I just think it's ugly. Can't see spending $60k plus on a car and then have to buy parts to put on it just to make it look decent. :-)

Just my .02

Quick Reply: Car and Driver Comparison