F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

BMW Sales (U.S.) August 2010

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 07:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
fair enough.....so you are saying lack of inventory...I would think the Aug shut would effect Sept more than Aug sales tho...
Generally yes, but considering the launch date of the 5'ers, no 528i or xi models (in the US), ..... I am of the opinion that October numbers will be more meaningful.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

The numbers are pretty mediocre. Year on year numbers are going to be distorted a little by the end of the cash for clunkers program in 09 - not that this program will have made as much impact at the higher end of the market where the 5 series plays - but offset by the new model and BMW catching up with latent demand. The factory shutdown is a non sequitur - it will have had zero impact on August sales in the US. Numbers being down would have been understandable if supply was tight, but it seemingly isn't - there seem to be plenty of cars in dealer inventory.

The most telling thing is that this is, philosophically, the closest a 5 Series has ever come to the MB E Class - BMW built the F10 to be larger, more comfortable, more focused on luxury than sport, essentially the attributes that have long characterized the E Class. And the E Class, which let us not forget is no longer a new model and thus now running through its normal sales cycle - is dominating.

I've made the point before and I'll make it again - BMW has a higher enthusiast base than other mainstream brands and BMW is playing a risky game if it abandons what made it different and starts playing in the space where MB is dominant and more experienced. It will be interesting to see how the F10 numbers hold up, but I think it will be playing second fiddle to the E for some time to come.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by swajames
The numbers are pretty mediocre. Year on year numbers are going to be distorted a little by the end of the cash for clunkers program in 09 - not that this program will have made as much impact at the higher end of the market where the 5 series plays - but offset by the new model and BMW catching up with latent demand. The factory shutdown is a non sequitur - it will have had zero impact on August sales in the US. Numbers being down would have been understandable if supply was tight, but it seemingly isn't - there seem to be plenty of cars in dealer inventory.

The most telling thing is that this is, philosophically, the closest a 5 Series has ever come to the MB E Class - BMW built the F10 to be larger, more comfortable, more focused on luxury than sport, essentially the attributes that have long characterized the E Class. And the E Class, which let us not forget is no longer a new model and thus now running through its normal sales cycle - is dominating.

I've made the point before and I'll make it again - BMW has a higher enthusiast base than other mainstream brands and BMW is playing a risky game if it abandons what made it different and starts playing in the space where MB is dominant and more experienced. It will be interesting to see how the F10 numbers hold up, but I think it will be playing second fiddle to the E for some time to come.
The 5 Series will play second fiddle to the E-Class forever. Shame on BMW! They lose on the most important segment: the 5 vs E. An absolute slap to BMW's face.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by BabkenBMW
The 5 Series will play second fiddle to the E-Class forever. Shame on BMW! They lose on the most important segment: the 5 vs E. An absolute slap to BMW's face.
lol...love how you're trying to downplay your trollish ways....don't want to get banned again do you sucka...
Old 09-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

:thumbsdown:

Just wait until the Dingolfing plant can satisfy the markets...

Did test drive the M-B E and it's not as nice as the F10.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Contributors

The 5-series to E-Class dynamic is somewhat worse now than compared to the launch of the E60.

During the first two full months of E60 deliveries (Oct & Nov '03) BMW sold 6,594 units compared to 11,344 E-Class sales (63%). Current BMW 5 series sales are just 51% of the E-Class at the launch of the F10. Gulp.

But even though the E60 got off to a "slow" start too, it eventually caught up to the E-Class and at its peak (Dec 2006, for example), sold more than the E-Class (7,460 to 7,116).
Old 09-03-2010, 06:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
lol...love how you're trying to downplay your trollish ways....don't want to get banned again do you sucka...
I guess you want me to turn you to a floor cloth, moron.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ricracing
:thumbsdown:

Just wait until the Dingolfing plant can satisfy the markets...

Did test drive the M-B E and it's not as nice as the F10.
But then why does the E-Class totally dominate its market leaving the 5 Series no chance at all?
Old 09-03-2010, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

I guess you want me to turn you to a floor cloth, moron.
haha...e-thug...FAIL
Old 09-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

But then why does the E-Class totally dominate its market leaving the 5 Series no chance at all?
You never asnwered my question though it was before the first time you got banned... Has your friend actually let you drive his MB yet? Or are you basing your comments on his views?

Quick Reply: BMW Sales (U.S.) August 2010